• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Broke down and bought the steel, and welded it together.... The impact plates are 1/2" hot rolled steel, and they're tilted towards the shooter about 15 degrees. .45 ACP bullets slide off and impact the ground about a foot in front of the base

tgt1.jpg

tgt2.jpg

tgt3.jpg

If anyone is interested here's link to a rough drawing of how it went together

http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/tgtdrawing2.jpg

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I always thought that the plates needed to NOT be rigidly affixed?

Isn't it better if they can move so they absorb some of the impact by moving?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I always thought that the plates needed to NOT be rigidly affixed?

Isn't it better if they can move so they absorb some of the impact by moving?

Free-swinging targets will absorb less energy, thereby extending the overall life of the target.

However fixed targets, especially ones angled down like Jay has done, ensure that all splatter hits the ground in a predictable pattern.

So it really depends on how you're using the target.

Looks good Jay!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    However fixed targets, especially ones angled down like Jay has done, ensure that all splatter hits the ground in a predictable pattern.

QUOTE]
    Lead will still fly high and wide, and can come back and bite you. It will not all hit the ground, nor will any bullet ever "splatter" predictably. :noway:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I thought about letting the targets swing, but I would have had to tether the bottom, and use two supports, and tilt them a bit or they would have hung vertically, and that seemed to me to allow more potential for ricochet than I wanted. Swinging would have reduced any tendency to ricochet, but angling the plates as I did seems to have eliminated any bullet debris coming back at the shooter. Just my thoughts... in any case they work well.....

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    I made something similar only mine were flat and not angled. .44 mag @ 1400fps, .357 mag, .22lr everything just smeared off it straight down. As a side note, my .44 mag was reloads with cast bullets.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Lead will still fly high and wide, and can come back and bite you. It will not all hit the ground, nor will any bullet ever "splatter" predictably. :noway:

Nothing is outside the realm of possibility. However shooting an angled target does indeed allow you to predict where it will splatter. That's why you'll get a nice straight line of chewed up grass about a foot in front of the target.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Nothing is outside the realm of possibility. However shooting an angled target does indeed allow you to predict where it will splatter. That's why you'll get a nice straight line of chewed up grass about a foot in front of the target.

I made a temprary steel target, angeled it down some and put 4 inches of sand in front of the target. I really didnt have to worry about any ricoche because the steel was 1/8 thick and didnt stop much. :):

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    This, and any advice on welding. Stick with the tactical purse reviews, you'll be fine.

I only favor the tactial purse reviews when the color of the purse is purple. Purple is my favorite color, and any tactical oriented male strives day and night to save up the scratch for a purple tactical purse. My closet is filled with them.

Top Bottom