Will this pass building code inspection ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    My wife has decided we need to raise our one step down sunken living room to the same level as the adjacent kitchen floor. When I do this the electrical outlets will obviously be much closer to the new floor albeit fully functional. Is there any state building code that requires the outlets be a certain distance above the floor ?
    Cosmetically it might look a little odd to an astute observer but I suspect most people won't even notice. Will I be okay just building the sub floor frame work and covering it with mdf followed by new hardwood flooring ?

Thanks in advance

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I'm not up on NEC, National Electric Code.. I'm sure someone will respond that is.
    I certainly wouldn't use MDF as a subfloor myself. Maybe OSB but better yet
    T & G 3/4" plywood, that's what it's made for, subfloors.
    Glue it and screw it down..
    Nothing worse than a squeaky floor..

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The only time you'll need to worry about this is if/when you want to sell the house. It will need to meet code then.
    I'm not sure what code is now, but I believe they want them roughly 12" off the finished floor. Higher in a garage.
    Definitely use T&G. Do NOT use MDF for flooring.
    It's made as exterior sign board.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    There are standard guide lines. But you can even mount the outlets in the base board and be legal. There are valid reasons not to. If down low that get in the way of vacuum sweepers and end up getting kicked a lot in high traffic areas. 12" to 18" is the recommended height off the floor.

And MDF, I would not make a dog house out out of that crap. I like at least 2 layers of 3/4 inch plywood. The house I live in is 2 layers of 1x12 diagonal on the first layer and straight on the top.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Don't sweat the height......put'em in baseboard in'a gigs I work in all'a time.... baseboards anywhere's from 7" - 13" tall, most the time....
    use a T&G ply......glue......screws......

IS a code on distance b'tween receptacles......but should'n matter in yer case.....

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    The only time you'll need to worry about this is if/when you want to sell the house. It will need to meet code then.
    I'm not sure what code is now, but I believe they want them roughly 12" off the finished floor. Higher in a garage.
    Definitely use T&G. Do NOT use MDF for flooring.
    It's made as exterior sign board.

I don't necessarily think this is the case or every time they updated the NEC people would have to change lots of things every time a house was sold. My understanding (which could be wrong) is that a house has to meet the NEC at the time it was built.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't necessarily think this is the case or every time they updated the NEC people would have to change lots of things every time a house was sold. My understanding (which could be wrong) is that a house has to meet the NEC at the time it was built.
    THIS.

There's no way a prospective only will request you move outlets up eight inches.

Plenty of houses sell with horrible wiring.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Don't sweat the height......put'em in baseboard in'a gigs I work in all'a time.... baseboards anywhere's from 7" - 13" tall, most the time....
    use a T&G ply......glue......screws......

IS a code on distance b'tween receptacles......but should'n matter in yer case.....

I actually could read a Harleyrider post without using a Rosetta stone..... I am quite excited.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'll repeat this. Don't use MDF as subfloor. If it ever gets wet, it'll swell, warp, and turn to mush. It's no good for a subfloor.

I'm not up on NEC, National Electric Code.. I'm sure someone will respond that is.
    I certainly wouldn't use MDF as a subfloor myself. Maybe OSB but better yet
    T & G 3/4" plywood, that's what it's made for, subfloors.
    Glue it and screw it down..
    Nothing worse than a squeaky floor..

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Code. Pffft.

As my Daddy used to say, building permits [and by extension, inspections] are for things that show from the road.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I wish people would stop quoting him. He's on my blocked list, so I only see his awful posts when others quote him.

Ya know whut dude?......go f*** yerself......it sh*tstains like yer azz.....1 the main reasons I don' come in ta this gawd**n place much no more.....

I'd like ta see if ya got nutz enuff.....ta spew 'is garbage at me 2 inch's in front my face......I'a PM ya a addy, if yer interest'd.......comprende' ?

I HOPE the hell sumbody quotes this msg.....so ya can see it.......I REALLY do......

An' I'm be'n.......NICE, here.....trus'me.......I am......

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I beg your pardon? Judgmental people like you are the reason I don't partake of the dialogue here as much as I used to.

I would hope that if we were in the same room, that we could resolve our differences like men - politely and perhaps over a beverage. IF you are interested, PM me and we can make the proper arrangements.

I may have edited that a bit, but I think it conveys the idea. :)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Can't wait for the T.Lex translation.

...and all this in a thread about some obsessive desire to keep THE MAN happy with some outlets.

Top Bottom