• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    Bad news to be engaging your trigger finger during a draw IMO....

Suarez International on Serpas:...

"it requires the trigger finger to be doing something other than indexing along the frame of the pistol during the draw stroke.Simply put...the Serpa is a poorly designed but brilliantly marketed holster that causes a user to press in with the finger tip as they draw their pistol. In many cases it ends up with the trigger finger right on the trigger (and pressing inward) prematurely. In other words...long before it would be safe to do so. I am aware of five situations at other schools where this has caused an AD on the range. Twice where it led so a self-inflicted gunshot. And these guys were either highly experienced shooters of seasoned operators. Twice I have personally seen in it force on force. If I allow a holster like that in class, having seen the problems and knowing the problems, and a student shoots themselves...it really would be my fault. As I understand it several other schools disallow these holsters."

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Bad news to be engaging your trigger finger during a draw IMO....

Suarez International on Serpas:...

"it requires the trigger finger to be doing something other than indexing along the frame of the pistol during the draw stroke.Simply put...the Serpa is a poorly designed but brilliantly marketed holster that causes a user to press in with the finger tip as they draw their pistol. In many cases it ends up with the trigger finger right on the trigger (and pressing inward) prematurely. In other words...long before it would be safe to do so. I am aware of five situations at other schools where this has caused an AD on the range. Twice where it led so a self-inflicted gunshot. And these guys were either highly experienced shooters of seasoned operators. Twice I have personally seen in it force on force. If I allow a holster like that in class, having seen the problems and knowing the problems, and a student shoots themselves...it really would be my fault. As I understand it several other schools disallow these holsters."

Thank you......nuff said

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Also note that Michigan Defensive Firearms Institute has reported several catastrophic failures of the Serpa mechanism in classes, and Tactical Response will no longer allow them in their classes.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    On a positive note, however, Blackhawk does do an excellent job marketing and distributing these holsters to every gun shop and sporting goods store in America, so finding one wouldn't be tough.

If you're looking for an alternative around that price point, look at the Uncle Mikes Law Enforcment kydex belt holster or the 5.11 holsters produced by Bladetech.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    On a positive note, however, Blackhawk does do an excellent job marketing and distributing these holsters to every gun shop and sporting goods store in America, so finding one wouldn't be tough.

If you're looking for an alternative around that price point, look at the Uncle Mikes Law Enforcment kydex belt holster or the 5.11 holsters produced by Bladetech.

I can second the recommendation for the Uncle Mike's Law Enforcement kydex holsters. This was what I usually carried my SA XD9sc in. It was comfortable, secure, and very simple to use. Good stuff.

I cannot second the rec for Bladetech simply because I haven't used them. Lots of happy customers, though.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I like mine. One level III duty holster, one CQC for my Glock, one for my 1911 & one Taser holster. All have worked flawlessly for me, but I'm also not in a sandy environment.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have two of them. One for 1911 and one for a Glock 22. I like them, the draw seems very natural for me. You are not making your finger do anything it would not be doing in the first place. I draw with my index finger along the slide. I do not use them very much as I prefer Kholster IWB for daily carry. I have owned them less than a year and can not attest to their durability. However I did a bit of research on them before purchase and found a lot of people giving good reviews of them.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Been using a Serpa in Combat since they came out...

The one I am currently carrying has over 5 years in combat, and an additional 5 years or training and the crap being beaten out of it with NO failures experienced to the mechanism...

Have yet to find a better holster for combat applications. But what do I know I don't run a fancy school or teach a lot of people "combat" skills. I do.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Also note that Michigan Defensive Firearms Institute has reported several catastrophic failures of the Serpa mechanism in classes, and Tactical Response will no longer allow them in their classes.

I'll submit that just about any active retention holster is subject to a failure if the operator does not know her/his equipment well.

Blackhawk makes a non-SERPA version of the CQC holster that is a fine piece of gear. If you want real Kydex, take a look at www. If you must have a retention holster, look at a Safariland ALS.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have them and have had no issues. I use it for both my 1911 and M&P 45s.

I disagree with the safety issues sighted. When I draw mine the second section of my index finger is pressing on the release, not the tip. As I draw, my finger is in a natural, off trigger, position in the frame.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I have one I used in "combat focus" training where we drew hundreds of times. No problems with it at all. As far as the "trigger finger" issue goes, if you use the holster the way it was intended to be used, it practically guarantees your finger will lay on the slide as you complete the draw.

There is no reason for this holster to have a bad name because some people are incapable of using it properly.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    used the serpa in engagements and NEVER had a problem. Thats why you train with what you carry. BLACKHAWK SERPA = Used by the U.S. Military and Special Operations also Military Contractors. These baby's are tough. and if your finger ends up on the trigger when you draw your weapon then your an idiot. That argument is a FAR reach. get a serpa, you will love it.
    And in my opinion if a firearms training school doesnt allow the serpas on their range then they arent worth going to.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Exactly!

I have one I used in "combat focus" training where we drew hundreds of times. No problems with it at all. As far as the "trigger finger" issue goes, if you use the holster the way it was intended to be used, it practically guarantees your finger will lay on the slide as you complete the draw.

There is no reason for this holster to have a bad name because some people are incapable of using it properly.

+1:cheers:

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    Well, there in lies the problem...... Folks all wanting to be "High Speed" when they are not! That could be said for ANY weapon/gear/sling ect.... Training is KEY!
    Also... if you were running school/class... and Mr.Inexperienced High Speed comes to your class.. what do you do? Knowing the history if injuries with this rig..

Now apply "stress" to the untrained... BAD combo.... just my :twocents:...

There is better gear that does NOT pose this problem..

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Juggernaut I don't buy it...

I have yet to see a Soldier have any problems with this holster. So what you are saying is that Soldiers are smarter than the average joe citizen?!

The reason may elect to go to training is so the can become better. The purpose of Instructors is to teach Johnny Highspeed to be a Go Faster... Regardless of equipment. The biggest problem is those that can do, and those that can't teach...

Stress in training don't make me laugh, stress is combat.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I suspect due to successful marketing and market share "Google" shows a fair number of "incidents" with the Sepra holsters. I also have some custom made "Tucker Gun Leather" holsters. They likely have few if any incident reports. Not because they are "better", but that they are not as well known.

I'm not a LEO or Military guy, but I have never seen an issue with the BH holster. In the cases of an issue, I strongly suspect that the cause was likely human error. You cannot pull the trigger while it is holstered in a BH Sepra. Once it is out of the holster, it is a user's decision making that is at fault, not the holster that is no longer holding it.

To the original question, like mine a lot, wear it most of the time. It is worth trying on your own.

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    No, thats not what I'm saying...

I guess you are saying "the more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war" is a false statement....

And WWII gear is just as good as the gear we run today...:scratch:

anyone who does not become familiar with their equipment prior to "Go" time is BEGGING for trouble....
    You do that by training.... Not sitting around playing cards and smoking like in the war movies....

Muscle memory an so on....

What do I know... I'm just an old Marine...:patriot:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I suspect due to successful marketing and market share "Google" shows a fair number of "incidents" with the Sepra holsters. I also have some custom made "Tucker Gun Leather" holsters. They likely have few if any incident reports. Not because they are "better", but that they are not as well known.

I'm not a LEO or Military guy, but I have never seen an issue with the BH holster. In the cases of an issue, I strongly suspect that the cause was likely human error. You cannot pull the trigger while it is holstered in a BH Sepra. Once it is out of the holster, it is a user's decision making that is at fault, not the holster that is no longer holding it.

To the original question, like mine a lot, wear it most of the time. It is worth trying on your own.

It's not just numbers. There simply is no catch to fail on most leather holsters, as there is on the Blackhawk. The releases have jammed. The springs have broken, causing the holster to retain the gun with no way to get it out. Don't think it's happened a lot, but it's an unacceptable occurence for a holster with it's intended purpose. A holster that retains with tension, whether leather or kydex, simply cannot fail in such a way.

Top Bottom