• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Does anyone know why I've heard that 1911s fail to feed well?

Unlike most other handguns, the 1911 is an open design that can be built by anyone. The quality of the builds vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. There are no Glocks built by anyone other than Glock, so you always get Glock quality. 1911s are a fantastic gun when built correctly and can be a PITA when specs are off. The little things matter in a 1911, such as the ramp angle or how the barrel sits when the slide is all the way back. Unfortunately, when a 1911 exhibits an issue, quite often someone takes a dremel and starts grinding on the inside only to kill any potential of the gun ever running well. Take a look over on the M1911.org boards to see what to look for in a used 1911 to make sure you don't get someone else's screwed up project gun.

There are some manufacturers that build a good entry level 1911 and others that are hit and miss. Right now, my favorite 1911 is a full size stainless Remington R1S. The only real thing I did to it was to replace the barrel bushing with an angle bored bushing to get rid of the catch just as the slide closed. I don't own one, but do hear good things about the Ruger 1911s. Springfield makes some great entry level 1911s as well. I would not consider a Sig to be an entry level 1911, but they are a solid gun that would serve well for daily carry.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I do like the 1911's that I've had the pleasure to shoot. I can't believe I haven't settled on one for myself.

I also liked my brother's P90 Ruger and would like to try a Glock in the SF frame.

A CZ97 is on my want list, too. I've read mixed reviews on their reliability to feed hollow points, but I'm willing to take the chance on one anyway.

Get a new one. The ramp has been redesigned and HPs are no longer an issue.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have had a Colt 1911 series 70,
    a S&W 4566 and 459,
    a Detonics Combat Master,
    a CZ 97B,
    a Springer Loaded Champion,
    and a compact Springer 1911.
    The most accurate by far was the CZ. It was also the heaviest by far. I guess my favorite was the 459. Which is kinda funny when compared to the 1911s. I really liked that gun. I also loved the 4566 in a shoulder rig. It had a very smooth trigger. Oh well, now all I have is nines.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    The springfield 1911 GI model i bought while in the military. Has seen countless rounds, more abuse than a red headed step child, and never - I MEAN NEVER- failed to go boom.

Top Bottom