• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I would grab my Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .357 Mag. NOT a battle weapon against squads of brigands,but for these reasons. This gun will ALWAYS work. It's indestructable, can't jam and needs no mags.38 shotshells for snakes,vermon,or rabbits at close range..38jrn for small game,and .357's for deer and defense out to 50 yards. It shoots 2 very common clbrs. and would work well with my wife's .38 S+W.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I would grab my Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .357 Mag. NOT a battle weapon against squads of brigands,but for these reasons. This gun will ALWAYS work. It's indestructable, can't jam and needs no mags.38 shotshells for snakes,vermon,or rabbits at close range..38jrn for small game,and .357's for deer and defense out to 50 yards. It shoots 2 very common clbrs. and would work well with my wife's .38 S+W.

That'll work :yesway:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not sure why I found this thread so interesting, since I never give much thought to what firearms I would grab in a hurry. Maybe it is the fact that I have never before seen empty gun counters and no ammunition. In the past if a person wanted to do a little target shooting you just stopped at the local gun or hardware store and picked up some shells. Maybe it is hearing about the rising unemployment on the news. I have always joked about zombie attacks and foraging gangs, but have never really believed it. For the most part I think increased crime due to inflation or joblessness is more of a possibility then a "bug out" situation. If I did have to leave my home in a hurry it would be to get to family or friends.

After reading some responses I went to the gun safe just to see for myself what was there in event of an emergency. I keep a loaded 9mm Hi Power in a small safe with keypad for quick access. Since I have to open this safe to get to the key for my long gun safe and since it is load, locked and cocked it goes. Long guns and ammo are both locked in the same safe. Since I need it in a hurry and they need to be portable and versitile I would grab light weight arms with slings attached. In my case this would be a 20 guage Benelli Nova and .357 levergun and two boxes of shells for each. These should give me the ability to provide limited defense as well as hunt or forage for game if needed. Don't own an AR or AK, but even if I did I am not sure that I would take it along. A guy carrying a small lever action carbine and concealed 9mm with a 4 year old kid in tow is not nearly as threatening looking as a guy with an AK and tactical vest. Just don't want to call attention from other people that may be in panic.

Of course I can't argue that the AK or AR does make a statement about who not to mess with.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    That is something I often thought about. I have a lot to choose from but it would have to be something that I would be able to carry alot of ammo for. Do I choose firepower or powerful fire? .22 pistol,or 2 would be on the list, maybe my marlin .44mag rifle. My L1A1 wouldn't make this list at 10 LBS too heavy. Oh Yeah, I guess I would take the wife too.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    There is this thing called a three gun bag...................really ****ing cool. I use the one made by Blackhawk. One light weight AR, one 870, 1 Glock, mags for AR and Glock, some extra ammo and an ammo belt for 870. Kinda heavy but functional, No need to take just one.

Added bonus, pistol holder peels out and can even be used in a 511 vest.

Just one gun, the AR. Once you have lugged them all around for days at a time the AR really shines.

If I am alone, on foot and in an E&E mode, 2 handguns.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    would a 336 30-30 make a good shtf gun for longer ranges?
    Simple test for any gun. Go to a hood where you don't belong. Find a Buick with a few guys standing around it. Get their attention by calling them names. Then blow their windshield out. IF they run away, the gun works fine. If they say, hey man it's only a lever gun, lets kick his ass, it doesn't work. My guess is it will work fine.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Marlin's 336 is a great rifle, I used one as my "go-to-gun" for years & the .30-30 cartridge is a great round.

I wouldn't use one as my "gtg" in my current AO (area of operation) but it'd be back at the top of my "gtg" if I was ever to move back to the hills of southern Indiana again.

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    late to the party here

i didn't read all the posts

chalk another one up for the 12ga pump action shot gun and a variety of loads

covers the basic shtf needs ... food gathering and self defense

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    My Marlin 60 with my " Model 60 quickload system." I have an arrow quiver with carbon arrow shafts each full of .22 rounds. I bought rubber tube caps at the hardware store for the ends. You can slide 14 rounds down the tube in a second, not too mention you can carry thousands of .22 rounds versus a bigger round. AND it's the same caliber as my Heritage arms revolver, which is really accurate. All the same ammo, and thousands of rounds of it

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    No matter how you slice it I am gonna get to have two. Either my Combat Commander or my PX4 Storm will already be on my hip. What I grab would be either a 10/22 or my Lightweight AR depending on rather or not I felt I was going to have opposition in reaching my destination.

Top Bottom