• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Not at all. It would be the same as if I saw some one open carrying an AR down town. No one was harmed, just too much in your face for me.

I was truly interested in there message, figured someone would have some insite for me. I googles and couldn't find anything.

I didn't mean any disrespect. If your going to carry a sign that says my family deserves he'll then yes you are on the fanantic side of religion.

It is an attempt to scare people out of going to hell. It is like anything else. We use different tactics to achieve the same goal. This particular one is not one I participate in, but please understand that their motives were pure.

redneckmedic said:
    The Case for Christ

A Seasoned Journalist Chases Down the Biggest Story in HistoryIs there credible evidence that Jesus of Nazareth really is the Son of God?Retracing his own spiritual journey from atheism to faith, Lee Strobel, former legal editor of the Chicago Tribune, cross-examines a dozen experts with doctorates from schools like Cambridge, Princeton, and Brandeis who are recognized authorities in their own fields.Strobel challenges them with questions like How reliable is the New Testament? Does evidence for Jesus exist outside the Bible? Is there any reason to believe the resurrection was an actual event?Strobel's tough, point-blank questions make this Gold Medallion-winning book read like a captivating, fast-paced novel. But it's not fiction. It's a riveting quest for the truth about history's most compelling figure.What will your verdict be in The Case for Christ?"Lee Strobel probes with bulldog-like tenacity the evidence for the truth of biblical Christianity."

Another great one from a scientific perspective is:

whats-so-great-christianity_1.jpg

There is also a very good series of lectures from Peter Heck that should be considered as well. The CD is available on his website and elsewhere I'm sure. Here is what the cover looks like.

PillarsOfFaith2-550.jpg

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Isn't this a little like asking. "Which of you 2nd. Amendment Fanatics wants to claim solidarity with the guy who shot up the day-care center in California a few years back?"

Doug

Agreed.

Not at all. It would be the same as if I saw some one open carrying an AR down town. No one was harmed, just too much in your face for me.

I was truly interested in there message, figured someone would have some insite for me. I googles and couldn't find anything.

I didn't mean any disrespect. If your going to carry a sign that says my family deserves he'll then yes you are on the fanantic side of religion.

Sorry, but there is a difference. It wasn't that you asked the question, it was how you asked. You said:

"Which one of you religious fanatics..."

You could have said:

"Can any of the religious people here..."

Surely you can see the difference, and how your version came across as condescending.

I think Doug's analogy was spot on...a similar analogy would be:

"Which one of you gun nuts here..."

vs

"Can any of the Pro-Gun people here.."

:dunno:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Perhaps a better comparison would be:

"Which of you ignorant atheists here..."

vs

"Can any of the non-religious people here.."

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I didn't ask which of you guys pratice the same religion as the guy that was blowing up the abortion clinics.

I thought there were some pretty hardcore religion people on this site but everyone thinks these two guys are over the top. So I would assume that there are zero religious fanatics on ingo or your two embarassed to admit that you agree with the way these guys act.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    IndyMonkey, I would also suggest picking up an NRSV Bible, New Revised Standard Version.

The NRSV (and RSV, but the NRSV is the updated, more correct version) is a more literal translation of the original Koine Greek that the New Testament was written in. There are tons of other versions out there - NIV, CEV, KJV, NKJV, etc - but those are all more interpretive than literal. I find a certain comfort in having a Bible that tries to say exactly the words that the original authors put on the page. It's still not perfect - Koine Greek isn't classical ancient Greek nor is it modern Greek - it's a mostly lost and forgotten colloquial form of the language that the commoners used. As such, if you were to actually try your hand at translating yourself (which I do not recommend unless you'd like to learn a new alphabet, new tenses, etc - arrrgggghhhh), you'd find vastly different writing styles among the books in the NT (New Testament) because of the different education levels and home regions of the writers. Most people recognize, though, the inconsistencies in just a quick read of the Bible from cover to cover (okay, okay, I've never actually done that).

You may also find it interesting to pick up a synopsis of the gospels at the library, if they have it, to see the exact comparison of the four gospels. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Synopsis-Four-Gospels-Kurt-Aland/dp/3438054051"]Amazon.com: Synopsis of the Four Gospels: Greek-English Edition (9783438054050): Kurt Aland: Books[/ame]
    For anyone who claims that the bible is 100% completely factual, this book should prove them wrong in about .163 seconds.

The Bible is an interpretation of events through human eyes. Do I believe that God inspired the men who wrote it? Yes. Do I think it infallible? No. Check out this website for more info on how the Bible was brought together: http://gbgm-umc.org/umw/bible/canons.stm.

None of that deals directly with the issue of believing/not believing, but I do think that exploring the logic and historical accuracy of the Bible and the works/teachings of Jesus may help you make an informed decision. Good luck, and may God be with you in your research.

P.S. If you find yourself in need of more reading or unable to locate a book, let me know. I'd be happy to loan you something if I have it in my collection (like the gospel synopsis). You can also find lots of material at the following libraries in Indy: Christian Theological Seminary, IUPUI, and University of Indianapolis. Not sure about others, but I've used a lot of materials from those libraries in the past.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...but everyone thinks these two guys are over the top. So I would assume that there are zero religious fanatics on ingo or your two embarassed to admit that you agree with the way these guys act.

Over the top - maybe, but I never said that was bad. I'm over the top about a great number of things. I wonder how many other discussions they generated just by standing there, even if nobody spoke with them?

What actions would I be embarassed by?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Why over the top? What is the difference in them standing there with a sign, giving you something to think and talk about, and someone OC'ing in hopes of getting their message across and perhaps generating some discussion? Tactics are the same, only the message is different.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have to ask a question Indymonkey, because your question has been addressed. Why were you so upset with these folks expressing their rights under the 1st Amendment? I think they just wanted to evangelize and shake you up, because they love you and God loves you. I guess they accomplished their goals. It sure got you to thinking.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I have to ask a question Indymonkey, because your question has been addressed. Why were you so upset with these folks expressing their rights under the 1st Amendment? I think they just wanted to evangelize and shake you up, because they love you and God loves you. I guess they accomplished their goals. It sure got you to thinking.
    :rofl:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010

They didn't upset me at all. I have be come numb to off the wall things in Indy.

All I was wondering was who they were affiliated with and what there message was.

As previously posted I had the wife with me and she's not to fond of me talking to people about things like this in public. Besides I was on the hunt for ice cream.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Maybe they were just trying to say this:
    "Well, I guess they had it comin'."
    "We all have it comin' kid."
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wGiJcq95Ug]YouTube - Favorite Scene in Unforgiven[/ame]

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    They didn't upset me at all. I have be come numb to off the wall things in Indy.

All I was wondering was who they were affiliated with and what there message was.

As previously posted I had the wife with me and she's not to fond of me talking to people about things like this in public. Besides I was on the hunt for ice cream.

Let's be honest here. If you actually cared and weren't just trying to bring attention to an already heated break room, you would have pulled over and asked who they were instead of asking a question with a one of a million shot of it getting answered.

I don't really care either way, as that's what the break room is for, but it's quite apparent what you are doing, so there's no need to cover it up with pseudo genuine questions that are condescending to Religion.:twocents:

Now, lets see if I can get another epic IABL and IBTL that shooter will try to cover up.:laugh:

Oh yeah, I like how he quoted my IBTL and called it a fail while the thread was closed...Who exactly failed again?:D

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom