• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Cut and pasted from the 2009 SHOT show web page. This is the largest gun show in the US and gun owners can't take a gun into the show. Opinions please?

Only firearms on display by exhibitors whose firing pins have been removed (and have been tagged by SHOT SHOW Safety Advisors) will be permitted on the Show floor.
    Attention: Please be aware that SHOT SHOW attendees may not take personal firearms on to the exhibit floor for purposes of appraisal, sale, repair or any other reason.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Coming up next, the World's Largest Car Show (no cars allowed), and the World's Largest Fashion Show (no women allowed).

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Why no protests by the gun open carry advocates?

Sounds like they want to be replaced by a gun friendly gun show.

This is the primary gun show for the firearms industry and the “powers to be” do not trust functioning guns at the show that is only attended by industry folks. You can't even bring in a unloaded gun to discuss a problem at the companies booth.

How can we get upset by non gun people not wanting people walking around Wal-Mart with a loaded gun when we can’t even do it at a gun trade show? The 1500 show pulls the same crap and I don’t read of anyone wanting to protest there. I see that old "don't do as I do, do as I say."

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I recall one NRA Annual Meeting and convention in the past that specifically disallowed carrying guns. It took me a while to get over the whiplash I got when I said, "WHAT???!!!"

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Gun shows and carry

Are there gun shows that will allow you to carry a loaded weapon? Please advise so I can stay away from them. Gun shows don't just attract safe, responsible gun owners. They attract a slew of clueless idiots. The bigger the show, the more clueless idiots. Maybe even a few Plaxico Burress wannabes! :):

Next time you go to the 1500, I suggest you pay attention to how many times you have a muzzle pointed at you or at least swept across you. Watch the guy next to you pick up gun from a table and see if he puts his finger on the trigger. Regardless of who owns that gun or who thinks that gun is "safe", it can be unsettling.

Beside that...........this is exactly the same as gun shops with signs prohibiting loaded guns. There are attorneys and insurance companies involved. We should expect no different.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    There were at least 3 loaded guns at SHOT last year. One was on me, one was on my Jack Booted Thug friend I ran around with and one put a hole in the FN booth when an employee there had an ND.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Not talking apples to apples

Are there gun shows that will allow you to carry a loaded weapon? Please advise so I can stay away from them. Gun shows don't just attract safe, responsible gun owners. They attract a slew of clueless idiots. The bigger the show, the more clueless idiots. Maybe even a few Plaxico Burress wannabes! :):

Next time you go to the 1500, I suggest you pay attention to how many times you have a muzzle pointed at you or at least swept across you. Watch the guy next to you pick up gun from a table and see if he puts his finger on the trigger. Regardless of who owns that gun or who thinks that gun is "safe", it can be unsettling.

Beside that...........this is exactly the same as gun shops with signs prohibiting loaded guns. There are attorneys and insurance companies involved. We should expect no different.

I was in a gun shop in Northern IN yesterday and one of the owners checked my gun after I took it out and removed the mag so I could fit it to a holster. She said they have had two guns go off in the store so are now extra careful; it can happen anyplace.

The difference is the SHOT shot is a"trade only" show for people in the firearms industry; it is not open to the general public. Just because a person is issued a handgun permit does not mean he can't be an idiot. Just because a person works for S&W does not mean they know how to safely handle a firearm. My point is where do you draw the line on carry options and why. Is "sorry, our insurance carrier does not approve of us allowing people to carry firearms in our store" now a legit defense to all the forum members when they are told to take their gun out to their car or leave the store?

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    shows

i have been to 3 big gun shows and all three of them made you run a zip tie threw the gun (pistol)so it was clearly empty or you had to leave it in your car:twocents:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Great example to the group!

There were at least 3 loaded guns at SHOT last year. One was on me, one was on my Jack Booted Thug friend I ran around with and one put a hole in the FN booth when an employee there had an ND.

How does publicly acknowledging the fact that a “defense trainer” ignored the published rules you agreed to abide by when you purchased a ticket to a trade show teach anything to younger members of this forum about respecting the rights of others? You are a moderator which makes this type of post even more distructive. :dunno:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    How does publicly acknowledging the fact that a “defense trainer” ignored the published rules you agreed to abide by when you purchased a ticket to a trade show teach anything to younger members of this forum about respecting the rights of others? You are a moderator which makes this type of post even more distructive. :dunno:

I am responsible for my own defense. It's as simple as that.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Then keep it to yourself

I am responsible for my own defense. It's as simple as that.

If you believe you are above the law/rule and decide to carry a gun in a forbidden area that is your decision but why broadcast it to the world after the fact? What kind of example do you set?

Last edited:

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    The 1500 show pulls the same crap and I don’t read of anyone wanting to protest there.
    I agree. If I had to guess, I would say this policy was put in place by the insurance company/lawyers and I imagine there aren't many insurance companies in the world that would cover the show if they were letting people bring loaded/functioning weapons into a show that size? I'm not a fan of it, but with all the lawyers and micro-managers in the country, I'm not surprised that's the way it is and I doubt it'll change anytime soon.

And even with that rule in place, someone still managed to pull off an ND in FN's booth last year in Vegas.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I was in a gun shop in Northern IN yesterday and one of the owners checked my gun after I took it out and removed the mag so I could fit it to a holster. She said they have had two guns go off in the store so are now extra careful; it can happen anyplace.

The difference is the SHOT shot is a"trade only" show for people in the firearms industry; it is not open to the general public. Just because a person is issued a handgun permit does not mean he can't be an idiot. Just because a person works for S&W does not mean they know how to safely handle a firearm. My point is where do you draw the line on carry options and why. Is "sorry, our insurance carrier does not approve of us allowing people to carry firearms in our store" now a legit defense to all the forum members when they are told to take their gun out to their car or leave the store?

You're right in implying somebody has to draw the line. I think the question is not so much where to draw the line but rather who is going to draw the line. We will seldom have 100% agreement on where that line should be drawn.

Let's assume for the sake of discussion, you own a gun store and I'm a first-time customer. Let's also assume your insurance carrier has told you that you aren't covered if someone is injured due to a customer carrying a loaded weapon in your store. Another assumption: Your attorney has advised you that putting up a sign prohibiting loaded weapons on the premises is your best defense and will tend to put the liability back on the person who violated your store's policy.

I'm confident you'd be safe with me carrying a loaded gun into your store but I would never expect you to be so sure since you don't know me. Therefore, I would respect your wishes if you requested that I don't carry my loaded gun onto your premises. Once I become a "regular" and you know me, I would still expect to abide by your regulation.

I think a prudent business owner would put up that sign and the same would apply to a gun show promoter. :)

Top Bottom