• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    By "unimportant" I was referring to those things of little consequence, like the size of his t-shirt, the style of his beard, or the twitch of his arm. Often it seems that those who can't effectively argue with the information that's presented will default to picking on such things instead.

If someone isn't fond of a particular teaching style that is certainly fine, as it does indeed matter.

There actually is some argument for picking an instructor that is not shy about language or rough mannerism. We're talking about life saving, not tiddly winks.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    There actually is some argument for picking an instructor that is not shy about language or rough mannerism. We're talking about life saving, not tiddly winks.
    Certainly you are not suggesting that choosing a trainer with "rough mannerisms" is a prerequisite to being an effective instructor?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Certainly you are not suggesting that choosing a trainer with "rough mannerisms" is a prerequisite to being an effective instructor?

Maybe, if you're looking for instruction on how to survive someone trying to kill you. Yeah, I like my fighting instructors to be tough, take no poop, mofo's. ;)

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The only one to come close to taking Yeager's thunder was Paul Gomez (RIP Paul.)
    The only difference is that knowing what I knew of Mr. Gomez and what I know of JY I do not hold them both in the same regards. Just my own personal preference. YMMV (RIP as well, Mr. Gomez)

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Why does this toolbag elicit so many posts...he's under the INGO skin for sure.

I can't say that I've actually watched one of his videos all the way through. But if people are talking about you, good or bad, you must be doing something. It's when people stop caring that you lose significance. So, love him or hate him, he gets people talking.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    As I discussed in a previous post, no rules were broken that we could've acted on. There aren't "chosen ones" that get special treatment when it comes to discipline, even though its fun to think there is. Hell, I gave my own Father an infraction once. Rules are rules.

Jeremy and I are one of the chosen ones. The mods have us on their ignore list.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    But he was neither foul-mouthed nor displayed "rough mannerisms" (at least, in his online video persona). Yet I'd MUCH rather have trained under him than Yeager...
    My sentiments exactly but I guess we're just a couple of sensitive nancy boys. :dunno:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    gazelle-eating-popcorn.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvpN4uuEXA0

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    By "unimportant" I was referring to those things of little consequence, like the size of his t-shirt, the style of his beard, or the twitch of his arm. Often it seems that those who can't effectively argue with the information that's presented will default to picking on such things instead.

If someone isn't fond of a particular teaching style that is certainly fine, as it does indeed matter.

I see the parallel you're trying to draw here but I see a major difference between the kind of person I want teaching my child the basics of reading and writing and the kind of person I want to learn defensive firearms skills from. Of course I wouldn't want JY teaching my child, as much as I wouldn't want my son's 1st grade teacher teaching me how to fight.

Yeager's style is VERY different than my own. But, knowing that, I'm certainly willing to see what he and his school have to offer me. I can learn something from anyone.

As I discussed in a previous post, no rules were broken that we could've acted on. There aren't "chosen ones" that get special treatment when it comes to discipline, even though its fun to think there is. Hell, I gave my own Father an infraction once. Rules are rules.

I can see where you're coming from. I think I better understand your "unimportant things" too.

Yes, everybody can learn something from somebody, but we can't possibly learn everything from everybody so we have to pick and choose... I guess that's where each person's individual preferences come into play.

Thank you, sir! Perhaps you can participate in another class and we'll meet then.

Yes, someday, I've been wanting more rifle training but my ability to do that is going to depend on my deployment schedule.

This thread just hit 7k views btw. Wow.

A full 500 of them are probably JY himself refreshing this every 5 minutes because he gets all gigity on the attention....

And a person has to be crude, disrespectful, and self-absorbed to be good at teaching self-defense tactics?

Maybe, if you're looking for instruction on how to survive someone trying to kill you. Yeah, I like my fighting instructors to be tough, take no poop, mofo's. ;)
    To each his own, but there are plenty of other people very qualified that don't act that way. As a matter of fact, every single one of the multitude of SEALS and Army SF guys I've worked with overseas (some of the worlds toughest killing machines) are the exact opposite of him.

This is purely opinion here so don't take this the wrong way, and it isn't meant to insult JY or anybody else, but you can take training from a "wannabe BAMF" that acts it up, or you can take training from a real BAMF that is humble, reserved, and confident about his abilities and knowledge. Neither one of those makes them less able to teach effective self-defense skills. I know what one I'll choose, you can choose whatever one you please...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Yet I'd MUCH rather have trained under him than Yeager...

Agreed. I'd bet Mr. Gomez could step up the rhetoric when it was called for though.

My sentiments exactly but I guess we're just a couple of sensitive nancy boys. :dunno:

Yeager does have a bit of an obnoxious personality, but aren't the subject of his rants mostly directed at his critics?

I'm really not defending him. I'm just saying that profanity and aggressive personality wouldn't shy me off. We wouldn't be discussing this if it was his practice to treat customers that way. He would not be in business.

I'll likely never train with Mr. Yeager anyway, for other reasons. I feel that I am quite objective about this.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom