WTH: 30 Homicides in Indpls Already This Year ??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    However. When we argue that the crime rate is decreasing AND most criminals prey on other criminals, don't we run the risk of undermining one rationale for owning/carrying firearms? (I know, I know, Molon Labe...)

Ironically, it seems the non-firearm owning community is actually far more paranoid about being crime victims, but would rather have someone else take responsibility for their safety.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    However. When we argue that the crime rate is decreasing AND most criminals prey on other criminals, don't we run the risk of undermining one rationale for owning/carrying firearms? (I know, I know, Molon Labe...)

Yes, fear-mongering can help to sway someone your way. However, this allows people to be better informed and therefore able to make a more rational, fact-based choice. I have a hard time arguing against that.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

Ironically, it seems the non-firearm owning community is actually far more paranoid about being crime victims, but would rather have someone else take responsibility for their safety.

I spent a lot of time watching you tube yesterday and the one thing I took away from it was that where there are more guns, there is less crime. Look at Chicago and the high crime rate.
    Like Insurance on my car, a fire extinguisher in my house, a life vest on the boat, all things I hope I never have to use, but like my gun, I have.
    just because one group of people seem to be making our homicide rate high, doesn't mean we can't be armed. As the statistics show, more guns, less crime.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Yes, fear-mongering can help to sway someone your way. However, this allows people to be better informed and therefore able to make a more rational, fact-based choice. I have a hard time arguing against that.

I'm just waiting for the Zionsville Moms to pick up on this, and argue "see, even hard-core death phallus totem worshipers say we don't need guns because the police are doing such an excellent job" or blather in that regard.

Just thinking here...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'm just waiting for the Zionsville Moms to pick up on this, and argue "see, even hard-core death phallus totem worshipers say we don't need guns because the police are doing such an excellent job" or blather in that regard.

Just thinking here...

And they would be lying, again. It is who they are.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    winner winner chicken dinner

Mayor Ballard and Chief Hite say something to that effect in this article
    Basically, you don't deal with this type of individual or lifestyle, you don't need to worry. I don't feel any less safe than before.

Indy mayor, police chief respond to 8 murders in 12 hours | Fox 59 News ? fox59.com

That's not what anyone said. What was said was the truth. Involve yourself in criminal gang activity and/or the narcotics trade and you significantly increase your risk of meeting a violent end.

I agree, as others have said, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. However, it can and will start to spill over, and extend/impact those who are not involved in these activities. Which of course, is part of the reason I do carry.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    People kill people. It's been happening a lot longer than any of us have been around and will continue regardless of what laws are passed.

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Greenwood
    It irritates me beyond belief to turn on the morning news and see another "deadly gun violence" story. They plaster a big image of a handgun up there, and make it seem like guns are the issue. Then the news will say something to the effect of "two men were shot on the north side", when it occurred in the straight up hood at like 18th/Rural. Uhm....that's not really the north side and those were probably two drug dealers/thieves killing each other. Yes, the violence is unfortunate, but most of these killings are the herd thinning themselves.
    :soapbox:

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I have lived in Indy my whole life and granted I am only mid thirties but hey in the eighties we didn't go downtown much particularly by IUPUI now I see no problem in it. Look Indy is a safe city and a lot of those who live outside Indy and say look at the big bad city I wonder how many have traveled to other larger cities. Indy overall is safe and a nice place. That being said it has recently had some crime issues that yes is usually affecting the criminal element however that does concern me as crime is crime. What we are not having in this city is a open discussion at what can or should be done to curb this violence. We need more officers on patrol and we need to be prosecuting these criminals and throwing away the key. A lot of these individuals involved as perps or victims have multiple convictions and some are very violent. Regardless of political party we need to do something worthwhile. This is why I think the Sherriff should be in charge and it should be non party based election. Enforcing the laws on the books and working with the prosecutors office which also should be non party based elected official is key.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I'll be in Indy next weekend, just wanting some info on the bad parts to stay away from. I'll be driving from downtown to the north @ aprox 11pm. I'll be taking either N. Keystone Ave., or N. Michigan rd. from downtown. Is it safe to drive that way late at night, or should I take the outer loop? (465)

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I'll be in Indy next weekend, just wanting some info on the bad parts to stay away from. I'll be driving from downtown to the north @ aprox 11pm. I'll be taking either N. Keystone Ave., or N. Michigan rd. from downtown. Is it safe to drive that way late at night, or should I take the outer loop? (465)

Depends on where on the northside you are going, but whenever I have to go from downtown to the north, I take 65 up to 465. If you are going to the Geist or Castleton area, take 70 out to 465 on the east side. Then north to either 69, Allisonville, or Keystone.

Top Bottom