• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    What makes the colt so much better other than a 1/7 barrel?

Honestly nothing, if an AR is reliable, durable and accurate then I don't care who's name is on it but then I've never been accused of being a gun snob either.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    My $700 DPMS AR is just as good as your $975 Colt 6920:ugh: I love that mentality.

I would say the skills/ability of the person behind the rifle makes for a better final result then just throwing money into products. But yes I'd agree the Colt is "better." Then again I've seen far more broken colts than DPMS's but that's just due to government contracts buying rifles from Colt vs XZY manufacturer.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana

read the specs on the whole rifle

You're kidding, right?

probably not, most think they are all the same

:rolleyes:......Intents an' purpose I......would need a AR.......7 hunnerd buck panther'd do ALL I need ta do......:):

but ya'll keep throw'n 'at stoopid $$ ya don't need out'a door at'em,huh?........:):

Can I get a translator for this ???

Honestly nothing, if an AR is reliable, durable and accurate then I don't care who's name is on it but then I've never been accused of being a gun snob either.

Honestly there are a lot of differences between a $500 AR and a $1000 AR. Most people won't take the time to learn those differences.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013

Nostalgia :dunno: lol.
    I have 3 AR's. A Colt LE6920 which I paid $988 for new 2 years ago, A S&W M&P 15 I got new for $890ish (i think) 1 year and a half ago, and a Doublestar Star 15 I got for $1000 new in the height of the scare. Out of all 3, 2 of them being big names (colt and S&W), the 3rd.. the DSA, is hand down my favorite. They all have the same internal setup... stock milspec triggers, m16 BCA's, and c-158 bolts, matched with H2 buffers. All have m4 feed ramps. They all have different external setups, but the feel and operation of the DSA is just more smooth. Its hard to explain, its just a very smooth operator... not that the other 2 aren't, but you can definitely feel the difference.

They aren't an extremely well known company as they're pretty small right now, but the products they turn out are of high quality. For a mid range AR, I would buy it again and again.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Hmmmm, let's just see. A Colt 6920 has 4150 steel for it's barrel. The DPMS doesn't(4140 and yes there is a difference). A Colt has a properly staked gas key. The DPMS may or may not. The Colt has a Full-Auto carrier. The DPMS doesn't. The Colt has an individually tested MPI/HPT Carpenter 158 bolt. The DPMS doesn't. Who knows what their bolt is made out of. More then likely 8620. The Colt has a properly staked castle nut. The DPMS doesn't. Same goes for the testing of the Colt barrel vs. the DPMS barrel. The Colt comes w/a H2 Buffer. The DPMS doesn't. The Colt has a 7075 Mil-Spec RE. The DPMS doesn't. Colt has a lot better QC than DPMS.

These are just pure facts. If people want to keep on believing their DPMS is just as good as a Colt then well they are just sadly misinformed. Have fun taking a carbine course when the DPMS craps out and your stuck with a non-functioning because your gas key came loose or your bolt sheared. To each his own though, but to say the only difference between a Colt and DPMS is a 1/7 barrel is just a person living in fantasyland.

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    And absolutely yes, my Noveske AR is leaps and bounds better than your DPMS. Dem juz faks.:)

So the DPMS Oracle I got yesterday At the gun show for $550 wont fire a round...If you agree stand in front of one... If the bullet hits what you aimed at IT'S JUST AS GOOD AS THE NEXT ONE. Gun snobs, sheez...

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    So the DPMS Oracle I got yesterday At the gun show for $550 wont fire a round...If you agree stand in front of one... If the bullet hits what you aimed at IT'S JUST AS GOOD AS THE NEXT ONE. Gun snobs, sheez...

A single shot .22 isn't something to stand in front of, so I fail to get the wit within that remark. There is a difference between satisfactory long-term performance and excellence.

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    A single shot .22 isn't something to stand in front of, so I fail to get the wit within that remark. There is a difference between satisfactory long-term performance and excellence.

Point being mine fires too, Not trying to start a argument but as for long term performance I have a Sportical I bought at a rummage sale that I've run between 4K and 4.5K rounds thru it will still put a 1" 5 rnd group at 100 yds, thats completely satisfactory for me and the $100 I paid for it. Yes your Noveske may be technically advanced and exude excellence but what does it do cheaper AR's wont?

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I get that, but instead of the game being who can make the best, or a quality, AR; it's just now well who can make it the cheapest?

I hate saying it, but a complete rifle or one of these

AX556 Lower Receiver | AXTS Weapons Systems

Or one of these

https://www.pof-usa.com/p308-stripped-lower-receiver-black.html

I'd rather have the stripped lower to be honest. But that's just me.

I'd prefer to print my own lowers. Much cheaper.
    But I agree, quality trumps price. This isn't a knick-knack or a piece of art to hang on the wall - it's a tool for saving lives, and should be absolutely reliable. That said, at one of the lowest price points I've ever seen for an AR platform, these will sell like hotcakes, whether they "should" or not. All niches in the market will be filled. I would like to see an AAR report from someone bold enough to risk $500-600 on one.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    That said, at one of the lowest price points I've ever seen for an AR platform, these will sell like hotcakes, whether they "should" or not. All niches in the market will be filled. I would like to see an AAR report from someone bold enough to risk $500-600 on one.

Yup, just like Hi Points, Jennings, Davis, and a bunch of other....."firearms". They'll sell, whether they should or not.

For $500, it really makes you wonder what 5 finger discount they got for the parts, what they gave for whoever's leftovers' leftovers' leftovers, or what free work release labor they're using.

A LOT of ARs sold will probably see much less than 700 rounds in their lifetime. Especially if it's the owner's first semi auto rifle and grew up around bolt actions. So a lot of ARs to a lot of people they'll function fine I hate saying. But people really need to find that line of quality, durability, brand security, and price; instead of trying to go for quantity over quality.

Top Bottom