Would your holstered handgun protect you from this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Yep. The "Monday morning quarterback" in me sees a lot of potential improvised weapons. I've never been in a knife attack, but the traditional martial arts training I've had became a bit less traditional and more realistic when it came to knife defense. It was drilled in to us that whenever possible, the first action should be to put something between you and the knife... A chair, table, milk crate, whatever you have at your disposal. The next action needs to be absolutely unrestrained brutal aggression, utilizing anything you can get your hands on. This may mean using that chair to drive the attacker into the wall and then beating him to death with the printer. You have to be absolutely ruthless and do whatever takes to survive, because that's the level of aggression the attacker is willing to use to make sure you don't.

It?s just a knife?.. | sharpdefense

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yep. The "Monday morning quarterback" in me sees a lot of potential improvised weapons. I've never been in a knife attack, but the traditional martial arts training I've had became a bit less traditional and more realistic when it came to knife defense. It was drilled in to us that whenever possible, the first action should be to put something between you and the knife... A chair, table, milk crate, whatever you have at your disposal. The next action needs to be absolutely unrestrained brutal aggression, utilizing anything you can get your hands on. This may mean using that chair to drive the attacker into the wall and then beating him to death with the printer. You have to be absolutely ruthless and do whatever takes to survive, because that's the level of aggression the attacker is willing to use to make sure you don't.

When confronted with a knife, my plan is to put ichokepeople between the aggressor and my tender flesh.

While he is beating the assailant to death with a printer, I will be peeling out of the parking lot in my truck.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Yep
    In this specific situation, the clerk should have employed every offensive attack possible: poke out eyeballs, biting HARD enough to cause intense pain and probably severe limbs, digits, nose, etc.
    In short, when faced with such a scenario with no projectile weapon close at hand, do whatever you can possibly do, and nothing is off limits.
    The defender must resort to absolute savagery in order to survive.

Agree. It's hard to know what happened before, or the strength, training, and mindset of the victim. You are correct, if there isn't time to get a gun clear and a lethal threat like a knife is a microsecond away and closing, you have to go into survival mode and try to disable the guy while trying to avoid lethal injury yourself. An old man told me once "everyone about to fight has a plan until they get hit in the mouth". The attacker would likely have been distracted if a finger went a couple inches into his eye socket, or some other choice offensive moves. It was sort of a fight or flight moment, and the victim was so focused on avoiding the lethal threat that he was not able to get any offensive moves in. If you are in defensive mode only, eventually they will get a few in. It's hard to Monday morning quarterback this event because it was about as lethal as you get. If you see it coming and need time to draw physically moving back a few steps might get you the split second you need to clear leather and get a few rounds off, or even sidestepping behind a desk or other physical obstruction to give you that split second. If your spider sense goes off and your neck hairs are standing up when someone like that approaches, you need to be doing a very quick analysis of the local area and anything you can use to your advantage. Oh, and go ahead and prepare to start blasting. Once your mind set is right and you are ready to start destroying a lethal threat, only then will you have a chance to survive it. I hope the guy survives, and I hope the attacker gets what is coming to him.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Note to self: avoid convenience stores in the Philippines. They are apparently very stabby places frequented by an exceptionally stabby group of people.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    To the article I would only add if you are using your "regular MMA schedule" that you remember to forget the like 6 pages of stuff they tell you not to do...those are probably the things you want to be doing.

And, yes, convenience stores in the Philippines can be quite inconvenient. Especially if you are in the back room where people are all stabby, or the alley outside, or anywhere at all in some towns if its even cloudy out.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Think my pulse is 180+ right now and I'm trembling as the adrenaline starts to wear off. I knew it was going to be a fight, but man that was hard to watch someone get stabbed. I think I'd rather get shot to be honest with you.

Good reminder for situational awareness and being ready to fight using all means necessary. No Mills Lane to bar holds, tell you to keep you gloves up, etc.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

According to someone, the suspect was a former security guard that worked there but was fired for stealing money from the establishment which was captured on CCTV. The fired security guard
    made a threat when he left that he would come back and make the boss pay for firing him.

This changes things a lot. If this is true, the guy should have seen the murderer coming.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Just when I start to feel good about my past training a video like this comes along and shows me how far behind I really am. Gosh I hate knives.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Think of how many knife attacks and mutual combat situations with knives ("knife fights") that never get reported there.I think I'd look at some kind of protective armor for my arms, legs, torso, and neck!
    Just when I start to feel good about my past training a video like this comes along and shows me how far behind I really am. Gosh I hate knives.
    On the bright side, you didn't grow uo in the same neighborhood as Mister Stabby. You would probably be much better acquainted with knife offense and defense, but I suspect it's not a great trade-off!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

The clerk was one amateur facing another. A pocket folding knife may be okay in defense but I wouldn't choose it as my first weapon for a planned attack. But then I suppose a pro is not generally looting stores for small change and the occasional bonus firearm.

I only hate the knives people try to stab me with...and I only hate them as long as they are trying to stab me. Other than that they are just another tool in the box.

Top Bottom