Would your holstered handgun protect you from this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Of course. This is something that those who are switched on 100% of the time, and carry their gun in hand in some sort of ready position 24/7, shouldn't have to worry about. Oh yeah, it would be great if you were really good at the speed rock as well.

What?

The only advantage to a pistol is portability. You keep it in a holster so you don't muzzle the world.

If you reasonably believe that you are in danger of serious bodily injury or death, use your pistol to stop the threat.

Your pistol should not be holstered if you are being attacked with a knife. Shoot him until he stops.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    It might have helped if the victim hadn't allowed himself to be backed into the office / store-room. He may have been able to rush through, over or around his attacker at the initiation of the attack and escape. I am sure he would have been seriously injured but he may have survived. But without seeing what was on the other side of that door I don't really know if that would have been an option. There may even have been more than one perp.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    It might have helped if the victim hadn't allowed himself to be backed into the office / store-room. He may have been able to rush through, over or around his attacker at the initiation of the attack and escape. I am sure he would have been seriously injured but he may have survived. But without seeing what was on the other side of that door I don't really know if that would have been an option. There may even have been more than one perp.
    Would have helped more, if the pistol in the drawer were on his person. Couple that with the will to live, and this would have turned out differently I suspect!

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Another thing I noticed was the lack of traction the clerk got out of his footwear. Even though his attacker was wearing flip-flops he still maintained a better foothold than did the clerk wearing what appeared to be hard leather sole shoes on the slick painted concrete floor. His choice of footwear gave the advantage of leverage to the killer.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What?

The only advantage to a pistol is portability. You keep it in a holster so you don't muzzle the world.

If you reasonably believe that you are in danger of serious bodily injury or death, use your pistol to stop the threat.

Your pistol should not be holstered if you are being attacked with a knife. Shoot him until he stops.

I suspect your being purposefully obtuse for some reason I can't fathom but it's clear what is meant is the gun is holstered at the beginning of the deadly encounter and must be drawn. The point here is to think about if you could access your firearm in the conditions faced by the clerk.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I suspect your being purposefully obtuse for some reason I can't fathom but it's clear what is meant is the gun is holstered at the beginning of the deadly encounter and must be drawn. The point here is to think about if you could access your firearm in the conditions faced by the clerk.

Thank you. I thought the purple was obvious, guess I was wrong.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    No time to go for the gun, time to go hands on and take the bad guy down. As others said, you can try to hold his hand all day but you must start getting in some blows or elbows, and work on taking him down.

The guy gave it a hell of a fight, probably did better then most would. Hand to hand is the most important training one can do!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    No time to go for the gun, time to go hands on and take the bad guy down. As others said, you can try to hold his hand all day but you must start getting in some blows or elbows, and work on taking him down.

The guy gave it a hell of a fight, probably did better then most would. Hand to hand is the most important training one can do!

The question is how many people have learned some of the techniques you mention? How many people are physically fit enough to fight back? Age, injury, physical conditioning, size. There is a reason that women and older people need to pay particular attention.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

You are right "But".....yup, always a "but"................How many people actually have those skills. Some train to achieve them. Some grow up street fighting or both. Some (the rest) have never made a real fist in anger.
    It takes a lot to engage a threat such as this.....a lot. It is a life altering situation. How many people do you know that would engage this with a good chance of over whelming the situation.
    I know a few. Just a few.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No time to go for the gun, time to go hands on and take the bad guy down.

2:38. His strong hand is free and available for use, but the only thing he can think to do is hold the guy's head. Instead of holding the guys head, fish your .38 out of your pocket. Draw from a strong side belt holster. Pull your own knife and lay his gut open. The guy had opportunities if he'd been armed.

(I am assuming he's right handed)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    2:38. His strong hand is free and available for use, but the only thing he can think to do is hold the guy's head. Instead of holding the guys head, fish your .38 out of your pocket. Draw from a strong side belt holster. Pull your own knife and lay his gut open. The guy had opportunities if he'd been armed.

(I am assuming he's right handed)

But for most people this would be the first time they are faced with this and their world just went to hell because it is not working out like they imagined.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Situational awareness, ability to quickly access your weapon. Neither could have saved the victim in the OP's video as he was unarmed, and unable to defend himself hand-to-hand against the attacker.

There was a robbery at a Citgo gas station in Chicago in February of 2014. The thugs unknowingly picked an off-duty cop. I was very impressed at how well the not-to-be-victim handled the situation. He kept handing the robber things from his left pocket, the whole time he was going for his weapon with his right hand. The robber was distracted looking at the left hand of his "victim" handing him stuff. He swung around with his right hand and killed the robber with one point blank shot to the head. His coolness under pressure probably saved his life.
    [video=youtube;b8xtNvfX73k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8xtNvfX73k[/video]

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No time to go for the gun, time to go hands on and take the bad guy down.

Plenty of time to go for the gun, which, of course, is not there. One leaves a pistol in its holster until its needed. Here it is needed.

But for most people this would be the first time they are faced with this and their world just went to hell because it is not working out like they imagined.

Like Jorge Miguel Zimmerman? If you have a pistol, you have a chance.

A pistol is not magic, not a tool. If you want this not to happen, avoidance is best.

If you want to prevent someone from stabbing you, shoot them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Any defense is a roll of the dice with that killer who obviously has had some experience with the blade. We don't know from the vid where and how the fight began. The part we can see is too close for effective gun work though.

One needs to have at least a couple hand to hand moves burnt in to hope to create enough distance to go to the gun. Otherwise, the gun is just as likely to end up in the attackers hands.

Once you go to gun, half of your hands are committed to that and exposed. If your attacker is close and your draw stroke is compromised, an experienced fighter will have no trouble taking advantage of your new fixation to use and protect your gun.

It's that whole hammer/nail thing. We need a toolbox to work with, not just one tool.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

"Purposfully Obtuse" is Kirk's middle name.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The question is how many people have learned some of the techniques you mention? How many people are physically fit enough to fight back? Age, injury, physical conditioning, size. There is a reason that women and older people need to pay particular attention.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^ I could NOT let someone get that close to me. I could NOT fight off, someone like that.

THAT is WHY I carry, and try to have S A, all the time. The biggest mistake I saw, was the gun in the drawer, NOT on his person .....

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's

Gun holstered, gun unholstered, gun floating in the air, who cares, he has a knife and you have a reasonable belief of serious bodily injury or death, shoot him, right now.

The receiving team had no pistol. If he had a pistol, he could have shot him, just like that highly trained operative Jorge Miguel Zimmerman did using this one simple trick.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Gun holstered, gun unholstered, gun floating in the air, who cares, he has a knife and you have a reasonable belief of serious bodily injury or death, shoot him, right now.

The receiving team had no pistol. If he had a pistol, he could have shot him, just like that highly trained operative Jorge Miguel Zimmerman did using this one simple trick.
    Ever try any force on force training? Tueller drill? Everybody is a ninja and a quick-draw champion behind a keyboard.

Top Bottom