Would you give your daughter a Jennings for self defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    th

father-of-the-year-award..jpeg

www.rofl.to_father-of-the-year.jpg

Father-Of-The-Year.jpg

Father-of-the-Year.jpg

:lmfao: :laugh: :p :lmfao:

OK...

But SERIOUSLY;

:bowdown: :bowdown:
    father_of_the_year_award_by_generalfoley-d4xmjkg.jpg

:bowdown: :bowdown:

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Wow, her Dad must hate her... Or not know squat about the quality of certain firearms. The only reason to have a Jennings around is for the exclusive role of "paperweight" IMHO. Cheap bass-turd. When my girls are old enough for a sidearm, I will have no problem shelling out good money for their first piece. :twocents:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Wellll, I've had a totally different experience with Jennings! Several years ago I was at a GS in Tipton with my youngest son. We had already purchased a couple of guns, just walking through looking at everything. A guy had a stack of Jennings 22's on his table with a $60 or $70 price marked - as I casually walked by I said "I'd give you $50 for one" and started to leave. This was during the era when the "pink slip" was all you needed to buy a firearm. He said "Whoa, you have a pink slip?, you bought it". So I picked it up. As I carried it through the show a few people saw it and told me they were "unreliable, very ammo sensitive, and some of the clips (two came with the gun) didn't function well.

So while at the show, I purchased several boxes of 22's from CCI hot rounds, Win Super X, Remington and as I remember some Russian junk. On the way home from the show, we stopped at another son's home in the country to try the gun out. We set up a target about 25 foot away, and loaded each clip with rounds from the various ammo I had bought. The darned thing never missed a beat. NO FTF, NO Stove-piping, NO Failure to eject - NOTHING. As for accuracy, with the short barrel, short sight radius and fairly crude sights, I did not expect much, but the gun surprising grouped well 6 to 10 inches as I remember (with some of the "good" ammo).

We have shot the gun since (not a lot - probably only a few hundred rounds - we have several guns) and I can't remember ever having any issues.

BUT no I would not ever purchase ANY 22 LR caliber firearm for my Daughter, any more than I would give her a 25 cal. I also would not purchase a Jennings for any of my children due to its reputation - even though the one I have has operated flawlessly. I would opt for a firearm with a minimum of .380 caliber - more likely a 9mm with a solid reputation or possibly a good 38 special revolver.

AND I would take her shooting, provide her with good Defense ammo rounds, and make sure she knew how to use the firearm properly, safely, accurately and WHEN to use the firearm.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    This whole thread is very similar to threads on other forums regarding

1. Lee Equipment

2. Heritage revolvers

3. All lower priced scopes or any other lower priced glass

4. Most anything else that is low priced and does not give the owner bragging rights

If in fact they were/are so poor what in heavens names keeps them in business for decades, even the Yugo went away.

The same old question comes, those stating their opinion regarding this subject, I wonder how many have actually owned one?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    This whole thread is very similar to threads on other forums regarding

1. Lee Equipment

2. Heritage revolvers

3. All lower priced scopes or any other lower priced glass

4. Most anything else that is low priced and does not give the owner bragging rights

If in fact they were/are so poor what in heavens names keeps them in business for decades, even the Yugo went away.

The same old question comes, those stating their opinion regarding this subject, I wonder how many have actually owned one?

I've owned one. The difference between this and the other things you mentioned is that most of them aren't used for personal protection. Maybe the Heritage revolver...I have one in .22, so far it is flawless, much better than that POS Jennings.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I've owned one. The difference between this and the other things you mentioned is that most of them aren't used for personal protection. Maybe the Heritage revolver...I have one in .22, so far it is flawless, much better than that POS Jennings.

But it's no comparison to a Ruger single six. Yes I own 1 of each.

But also the Yugo could have been deadly in an accident. FWIW remember the Yugo was nothing more than a rebadged Fiat.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Bought one in brand new condition, used. Never fired, in the box, with paperwork. First time fired, slide chipped rail, jammed. Returned to a LGS to send back under warranty.
    They replaced gun, traded it ASAP. No, would never give my sons one!!! Sorry to hear of other folks having probs with them. BTDT.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    LOL... We were having a discussion about that today. I had one for years th at had been pretty reliable. Decided to buy another to give to my daughters for backup guns. It's essentially a single shot. What a POS. So now i have two of 'em, and dont know which one is good. Awesome.

Top Bottom