Would you give your daughter a Jennings for self defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    There would be no way in H£LL I would let somebody (family or freinds) carry something like that. That father sounds like he would be a person that would argue a PF9 would be better than a glock anyday...

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    No way on the Jennings!
    Bought the first wife a Jennings .22.
    Fired it at a paper plate from 10 yards and couldnt hit the plate.
    Moved to 5 yards...same thing.
    3 yards...2 yards...1 yard...finally hit the EDGE of the plate from 1 yard and the thing wouldnt group whatsoever!

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    No, both my daughters received, or better yet will receive Berettas. I already have one for each of them, but at 6, and 7 years old, I will wait awhile before they get them. I would never trust a Jennings, Loricin, Jiminez, or any other cheaply made, known to be unreliable firearms.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    They have a well-documented issue with broken firing pins. Even for the people who say they use them and have had no problems this should cause concern. You never know when it is going to break. I try to keep Murphy as far away from my guns as possible.

dshaf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Maybe he thinks she can distract a would be assailant by him doubling over in laughter at her choice in weaponry.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    You did well with your advice. :yesway:

I owned a Jennings .22 back in the 1990s. It ran somewhat reliably IF you loaded three rounds, and only three rounds into the gun. Two in the magazine, one chambered. No other combination would even halfway work. Even as a 3 round firearm, it keyholed badly at 7 yards.

I don't rag on other peoples firearm choices, whatever works for you, go for it. I personally would not trust a Jennings.

Last edited:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Given the choice between carrying a Jennings or nothing, I would carry nothing 100% of the time. It would probably seriously be safer to give a robber your money than confront them with one of those. I would rather have pepper spray

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Can we officially start an INGO "Protection Fund" for this girl to get her safely started with a proper gun and holster?

I'm living on Ramen noodles myself (literally) but I can pitch in something.

Maybe one of our local shops will help out by letting us put one on layaway for her while accepting payments from us.
    Whatever is legal and simple.

I'm in. :ingo:

Friends don't let friends shoot Jennings. (or any other crappy guns) :puke:
    You guys that love your cheap guns can defend them all you want but I know as well as others that they are not dependable and some are flat out dangerous.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    my argument is that it certainly does not have to be "it's the Jennings or nothing at all".
    no way!
    if I had to flip burgers for a month in the evenings...or work 3rd shift stocking shelves at walmart for 3 weeks...
    just to be able to save up the frickin' $400-$500 that it would take to get my daughter a reliable handgun and a class...
    well then I'd do it! My daughter's life and her safety and my peace of mind are worth putting in some extra effort.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Maybe Dad is one of those people that think if you pull a gun the would be attacker will run away crying. I would not trust my daughters life with anything I wouldn't carry myself, in fact I would rather her have better than I would carry.

I bought my Daughter a LC380 and she is a great shot with it. As she progresses I would like to move her up to at least a 9mm but for now the recoil is too much. I told a guy that said "Why would you give a woman you love a .380" I told him I'm sure it's better than a fingernail file and would he be willing to take a .380 to the chest.

We are spending father daughter time at the range but with three little kids it is hard for her to find time. The women's only self defense class at Kodiak is a great class. My wife took it and said every woman should attend such a class. they taught about more than just guns.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've seen no less than a half dozen Jennings with cracked slides, a couple with cracked frames, broken firing pins...

There's a very good reason they're no longer produced.

That man knows NOTHING about quality firearms, or he doesn't really care for his daughter.

Sad either way..

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    I wouldn't carry one of those, nor advise anybody else to either.

I got one of those at some point in my past. I think stingers or other Hyper Velocity shells are in it. It's always gone bang when I 'tested' it. It just sits somewhere gathering dust with one in the chamber, safety off. I know where it is and it'll be there for at least one shot if it comes to that point and my EDC wasn't handy for some reason. I figured that was better than throwing it away.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    I've seen no less than a half dozen Jennings with cracked slides, a couple with cracked frames, broken firing pins...

There's a very good reason they're no longer produced.

That man knows NOTHING about quality firearms, or he doesn't really care for his daughter.

Sad either way..
    Actually, they are still made... Under a different name. Jimenez Arms, Inc. But having experience with one, I wouldn't even consider one, or recommend one, either.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Can we officially start an INGO "Protection Fund" for this girl to get her safely started with a proper gun and holster?

I'm living on Ramen noodles myself (literally) but I can pitch in something.

Maybe one of our local shops will help out by letting us put one on layaway for her while accepting payments from us.
    Whatever is legal and simple.

I'm in. :ingo:

Friends don't let friends shoot Jennings. (or any other crappy guns) :puke:
    You guys that love your cheap guns can defend them all you want but I know as well as others that they are not dependable and some are flat out dangerous.

I got the impression the shortage was of time and knowledge, not cash. She just didn't know what she wanted and hadn't had time to shop so she got a loaner from dad until she could.

Top Bottom