Would you give your daughter a Jennings for self defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was doing some followup and ran across a nice young lady who manages a business where her employers won't let her carry. She mentioned this fact in passing and said that because of robberies in the neighborhood (which is why I was there) she'd went to her dad and asked to borrow one of his guns until she could buy her own. She said he's a gun guy, has lots of guns, etc. He gives her a Jennings .22. Her husband tells her its a POS, they go do shoot it, and sure enough it repeatedly stovepipes (her words, not mine). What "gun guy" gives his daughter, who knows enough about guns to say "stovepipe" instead of just "jam", a Jennings .22? Granted she's an adult and out on her own, but still, I can't see myself equipping my child with such an unreliable trash gun to possibly defend his/her life.

Keeping in mind that getting caught = getting fired, he also told her to carry it IWB. Has anyone seen how woman dress today? She's gonna get made pretty quickly carrying like that, even with a small handgun.

I told her to look at the Shield and to consider those undershirts with the holster built in near the arm pit. She understandably wanted to shoot a gun before purchase, so I steered her toward Indy Trading Post since they have a good selection of rental guns. I left her my card if she had any questions, but hopefully she'll be able to find something she likes and can conceal so she doesn't have to face the "have the means to defend myself or draw a paycheck" question.

On a side note, I went to a nearby gas station and the manager was semi-concealed carrying a Glock 19 (I asked what it was). It'd sure make my job a lot easier if more stores allowed and encouraged responsible armed employees. I told him good job for carrying and having security measures in place.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Having owned one of those paperweights in the past, there is no way I would want my daughter carrying it to defend her life. I still feel disgusted every time I see one.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I have no idea what "kind" of dad would give his daughter a Jennings.

I at times have carried a Jennings .22 rimfire, and my wife at times carries a Jennings .25 acp. Neither of these have given either of us "stove piping" or "jamming" problems, maybe its the ammo we use, who knows. I have many choices as to what I carry, collection runs into the triple digits, all the way from a Jennings to a Kimber or Springfield 45, or S & W 357. Actually I'm only hampered as to what we carry as to what we have a holster for.

Granted you may not like a Jennings, but then I surmise its better than a rock.

BTW, both of our Jennings go bang with every trigger pull, that is till the mag. is empty.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Not impressed with the Jennings from dad at all. The Shield and similar single-stack guns (Kahr, Ruger LC9, etc.) are good for concealment, but I'd also consider the Ruger LCP or Keltec P3AT for even deeper concealment in her situation.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    WTF??? Her father should be caned for that stupidity. IMO, at the very least, she should have something like a Ruger LCP or Sig 238.
    I have a Jennings .22 that I bought at age 18/19 (with my dad present). It is a highly unreliable gun. And yes it TPJ's or FTF, mostly. I have kept it for sentimental reason. But otherwise, it collects dust. If my daughter absolutely needed a gun, I would probably loan her my .38 snubby. But knowing MY daughter... She would ask for my FS 1911. :):

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    +1 to BBI's for giving that girl some great advice.
    -1 to her father for giving her a hunk of junk.
    For my daughter, I will spend the time, effort, and money
    to make sure that she has training and a very nice, dependable handgun.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    My brother and I went to a gun show together when he was first getting interested in guns. I went off to find something, don't remember, anyway when I come back to him he is listening to a dealer tell him that "this gun is every bit as quality as all of the name brands, at a fraction of the cost". I walked up, saw him holding a stainless Jennings. I took it from him and put it back on the table. They both kind of stared at me like "WTH". The dealer started to protest. I said "He's my brother and he will walk out of here with one of those over my dead body". The dealer said something basically repeating his sales pitch. I said "don't pull that **** with me". Anyway, big bro ended up with a BHP a few weeks later. Firearms are one area where you don't let them learn from their mistakes as sometimes those can be fatal.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I wouldn't because a Jennings is finicky about and ammo and the way you grip it. They require a lot of attention to maintenance. I had one and it was so small gripwise that It would jam everytime id fire it and I have very small hands. Just not a good choice. If it was all I could give her Id deal with it the best we could but id also get her some serious unarmed self defense training and spray.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Jennings are worthless hunks of junk. Her father either wants her dead or is grossly incompetent. They don't even work when you try throwing them; you're more likely to harm yourself than any attacker.

For the lady, I do know a couple of women who like that bra holster, the flashbang or whatever silly name they gave it.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Has to fire at least one to stovepipe so I would take it over a rock or a knife.

but I still wouldn't give one to my daughter!

Top Bottom