Would you bet your life on a Kel-Tec PF9?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you bet your life on a Kel-Tec PF9?

• Total voters

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    I own a PF9, fired about (300 rounds) of various ammo including Hollow Points. It has never jammed. I did buy it brand new and it is the latest generation. That might make a differance. I would trust my life to it, but admit firing more than 50 maybe 75 rounds at one time, it kind of bites or irritates the back of my finger.

Yeah, it certainly doesnt lend itself to long shooting periods comfortably. Thats why i always make sure i take it along for any range session and make sure to run a few mags thru it.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    Keltec does get a bad wrap, kinda like Kahr. So many forum heroes talking about things they don't know anything about. I don't own a keltec but will eventually. Funny so many people don't trust the handguns but the ksg can't stay on the shelf

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Kel-Tec

Only after extensive work on the pistol, which Kel-Tec should have done before they shipped it.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I've got all 3 of the Kel-Tecs. P32, P3AT and the PF-9. I have carried all of them at one time. I have had no problems with mine. My Dad has recently decided that the PF-9 is his carry gun on the rare occasions he does carry.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Yes I trust my PF9 with my life. And I plan on keeping it for many years. In fact when CCR had a sale last year I had the slide refinished in Cera-Plate II (Nickel Boron).

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I won't trust the PF-9 without some major trust rebuilding. I've goat a PF9 had less than 300 rounds through it, and I now have a dead trigger. Planned on sending it in end of last month, but they are closed until the beginning of next week.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I had a buddy who had one and its wouldnt fire half the time. From what ive heard they have had some problems with the firing pin not hitting the primer hard enough on some of the pf-9's. I have nothing against kel-tec. I carry a p3at everyday and have never had a problem.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I've had one for a few years and carried it. Never had a FTF or FTE. However, when Sig came out with the P938, I just had to have one -- same size, a little heavier and ... well, it's a Sig.

I ran a hundred rounds or so through it. It was much more fun to fire than the Kel-Tec. However, one day I whipped it out at the range ad it just went >click!<

After several attempts to make it fire, I called Sig and sent it back. The note that came back with it said that they ran 50 rounds through it with no malfunctions. WTF?

It has fired flawlessly since. However, my Ol' PF-9 has never had a failure.

I still carry the Sig or my Kimber, but my PF-9 is always in the truck as my BUG.

No worries here.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    I had a buddy who had one and its wouldnt fire half the time. From what ive heard they have had some problems with the firing pin not hitting the primer hard enough on some of the pf-9's. I have nothing against kel-tec. I carry a p3at everyday and have never had a problem.

With the PF-9 you have to allow the trigger to travel all the way to get full reset. If you short stroke the trigger it will only partially reset and thats when they have the light primer strikes.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Had a PF9 about a year ago, bought it new, put at least500 rds thru it and never had an issue carried with Golden Sabres, actually don't know why I got rid of it but I have had brain farts before and will probably have others. I bet my life for at least a year

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Yes.

P1010020.jpg

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Every Kel-Tec I've owned has been problematic including my RFB. At this point I would never trust my life to one. My life is too important, and the life of my family is too important to carry a firearm that's not of the highest possibly quality with a track record of years of flawless service.

I want to like Kel-Tec, they have some innovative designs, but their quality just hasn't been there in my experience and their customer service is beyond abysmal in my experience a well. I can't get anyone on the phone and emails go completely ignored.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Funny how people's experiences differ.
    Yup... I know. That's why asking for an opinion on the boards is kind of frustrating I imagine for those asking... one person loves something and another hates it.

I don't strongly dislike very many things, but unfortunately Kel-Tec is one of the gun companies I have very little faith in.

Top Bottom