Would you be interested in fully automatic if the price was the same?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you buy a fully auto if price and paperwork was the same?

• Total voters

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Why yes, yes I would. I would prefer it to have a 3 round burst option though. I don't think I would ever use it on full auto - well except for once just to say I did. You'd still be eating ammo pretty quick with 3 rounds at a time.

It's kind of like an older guy told me one time when we were talking about his not so stock Corvette. "It's not the going fast, heck I've done that. It's the knowing you can go fast whenever you want to". I see full auto that way. It would be nice to know I could whenever I wanted to.

Wes225

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Not really, It's pretty damn wasteful and useless, If anyone would like to enlighten me on Practical uses for full auto I'd like to hear them, cause I think they are pretty much pointless unless you're in the Military fighting.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Sure. I would love if my AR-15 was select-fire. Doesn't have to be full-auto all the time but it sure would be nice to be able to do a mag dump without having to strain my finger so much :).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not really, It's pretty damn wasteful and useless, If anyone would like to enlighten me on Practical uses for full auto I'd like to hear them, cause I think they are pretty much pointless unless you're in the Military fighting.

Well, not everything firearms related has to be practical. Sometimes a hobby can be fun.

That said, I can think of several useful applications for a fully auto Vector or similar small and low recoil weapon for home defense. You don't have to hold down the trigger until its dry. Short bursts are very effective in CQB, or so I'm told by folks I trust.

Wes225

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Well, not everything firearms related has to be practical. Sometimes a hobby can be fun.

That said, I can think of several useful applications for a fully auto Vector or similar small and low recoil weapon for home defense. You don't have to hold down the trigger until its dry. Short bursts are very effective in CQB, or so I'm told by folks I trust.
    I can see logic behind Burst, 3 rounds in a hot target is better than 1.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County

Suppressive fire is not limited in scope to military operations. I'm thinking that any type of SHTF scenario like the L.A. Riots or Katrina might lead to the need for defeating an ambush or controlling access to a specific area.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    This is like asking "would you rather own a 4-speed or 5 speed if everything else was the same" or "would you rather have 15 rounds in your magazine or 10 rounds if both magazines were the same size." In that case you are only burdened with a bit more weight. Select fire versions are usually just an extension of the safety, one gun that would be a little different for folks to understand would be the AK with the "middle" selector mark being full auto. Yes the internals will be slightly different and not always interchangeable with semi auto guns.

As others have said NDDDDD's might result for the inexperienced/careless group.

The only legit reason to say NO in this case as VitiminK mentioned those who invest in legal machineguns overnight would lose like 90% of their investments probably. I mean an old worn out M16 would have no reason to cost $25,000 when new production full auto AR-15s would be rolling out with MSRPs at 800 bucks.

For those that's said NO because of ammo costs, the solution would be to continue shooting it in single fire.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    :rofl: Great way to phrase it.
    I wish I could take credit for that one, I lol'd when I read it, but Faine said it first.

I'm thinking about how instead of hearing about ND's in the news we'd get to hear about NDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD's in the news. All the same I can't see a down side to it, natural selection will ensure the safety of us all. Right?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Overall ammo demand would increase, therefore price would increase across the board regardless of your individual shooting habits. I think unless ammo manufacturing increased massively we'd pretty well be in an eternal shortage, and even then could the raw materials industries keep up with the demand? I think we'd see prices go up for certain.

That said, I see no legal reason not to. Heck, the fast ammo expenditure of full auto shooting might even lower the casualty count of mass shootings. Spray and pray for a second or two will hit a lot fewer people than 30 aimed shots. Really ridiculous reasoning for the laws.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Have owned them in the long past(all gone)---cost of ammo would currently be my main problem----now I'm into single shots

tallend

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Overall ammo demand would increase, therefore price would increase across the board regardless of your individual shooting habits. I think unless ammo manufacturing increased massively we'd pretty well be in an eternal shortage, and even then could the raw materials industries keep up with the demand? I think we'd see prices go up for certain.

That said, I see no legal reason not to. Heck, the fast ammo expenditure of full auto shooting might even lower the casualty count of mass shootings. Spray and pray for a second or two will hit a lot fewer people than 30 aimed shots. Really ridiculous reasoning for the laws.

I'd reckon in a dense crowd a fully auto weapon fired in controlled burst would produce more kills then a semi auto weapon. The denser the mass of people the more likely the rounds fired in very quick succession would strike mutiple intended targets. Espeically if the targets were crammed into a narrow exit hallway, full enfilide fire would be most devestating. But then again a more powerful bomb would have been a more lethal plan altogether as far as these BS mass shootings go.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom