Would you be interested in fully automatic if the price was the same?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you buy a fully auto if price and paperwork was the same?

• Total voters

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thread title pretty much sums it up. If the paperwork and cost were essentially the same, would you purchase a fully automatic version of a weapon you already own?

Example, would you purchase a Glock 18 for the same cost and paperwork as you can currently purchase a Glock 17 for?

Would you purchase a fully automatic M16 for the same cost and paperwork as a current production semi-auto AR-15?

No additional paperwork, just the standard NICS check.
    No additional cost, MSRP is within $10 of each other.
    No additional transfer restrictions, no $200 tax stamp.

I'm sorry.....I don't understand the question.......?????

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Everyone keeps talking about giving up accuracy. That is not necessarily true. If you are shooting something heavy with a bi-pod. Say...a M-60, MG-34, MG-42 or A Browning 50 cal, even a BAR, soldiers have shot them very accurately, at very long ranges. Carlos Hathcock could shoot the 50 a single round at a time and hit at crazy long ranges. It's not that difficult to learn how to shoot controlled bursts. There are stories of GIs shooting the BAR in controlled 2 round bursts. The dead German would have two bullet wounds in his chest. I will take one M-14 please. Now where can I find a few thousand rounds of .308?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    You know I do wonder, what would such a thing do to ammo prices? Would love to have full-autos, but I'm afraid those with a bit more "purchasing power" than I have would make ammo availability a bit of a problem for the rest of us. Thoughts?

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    You know I do wonder, what would such a thing do to ammo prices? Would love to have full-autos, but I'm afraid those with a bit more "purchasing power" than I have would make ammo availability a bit of a problem for the rest of us. Thoughts?
    The way things are right now...that makes perfect since. Back to the accuracy thing again...it would be a lot easier to walk rounds in on a target, judging impact, at 1000 yards, and to keep hammering it, than it would be to pop single shots at it at 1000 yards. With a heavy machine gun that is.:D:ar15:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    YES...But I would want 3 rd burst and a supressor....YES.....

Do they make a selectfire 22.lr? In that case I would pass on the 3 rd burst and go full auto..

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Everyone keeps talking about giving up accuracy. That is not necessarily true. If you are shooting something heavy with a bi-pod. Say...a M-60, MG-34, MG-42 or A Browning 50 cal, even a BAR, soldiers have shot them very accurately, at very long ranges. Carlos Hathcock could shoot the 50 a single round at a time and hit at crazy long ranges. It's not that difficult to learn how to shoot controlled bursts. There are stories of GIs shooting the BAR in controlled 2 round bursts. The dead German would have two bullet wounds in his chest. I will take one M-14 please. Now where can I find a few thousand rounds of .308?

Try shooting full auto standing, then 3 burst, then semi (it would help if using the S3G Geissele trigger) at least 50yds to 3 different paper targets. You'll see the difference.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Try shooting full auto standing, then 3 burst, then semi (it would help if using the S3G Geissele trigger) at least 50yds to 3 different paper targets. You'll see the difference.
    Years ago, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I shot a MG-34. We took turns shooting at a 5 gallon bucket at around 300 yards. I shot from the hip and walked the rounds right in. It was :cool:. It is really kind of relative. You will have wasted rounds, but with controlled bursts, you can still have good accuracy. And if you are a little low and to the left... your second and third bullet should be right there.:laugh: Another thing...with something like a Thompson, I have seen one shot, with all but one round in the black...full auto...mag full to mag empty. And you never know there could be a time when you need to do a sweep of a room.:ar15:

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I would want one a g 18 and a m16 with burst. Just because. One wouldn't HAVE to use it unless you wanted to. But I would want it for the same reason I have a 500hp street legal truck. Because I can.

However with that said it would have to be exactly as the op posted. Just like buying any other version.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Oddly enough no! I've always been of the one shot one kill philosophy and ammo is just to dang expensive right now.
    Years ago when I worked at another shooting range I watched as three fellows came into the range with 100 rounds of 9mm ammo and an Uzi sub machine gun. Each took his turn loading a 30 round magazine and then proceeded to shoot full auto at a full sized silhouette target. It lasted all of 4 seconds each and then one of them finished off the last 10 rounds, loaded up their stuff and left.
    Even back then it was still costly.
    However I might enjoy a .22 caliber rimfire in full auto when this ammo crisis is over.
    Like a PPSH 41 copy of Russian sub gun.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, sounded cool at first, then I got to the practicality.

As I started to consider it, my wallet kicked me in the a** and reminded me how freakin expensive it would be.

I still want one of those "gatling" style conversions that uses two opposing 10/22s. looks like fun to play with.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I voted YES because it's fun to shoot full auto. And you could switch it back to semi if you want to.

During Desert Storm, I used a Browning 50 that mounted on top of our Humvee to kill a sniper hitting our troops. I heard in the radio there's a sniper around. So I was on top of this thing looking for flash from a rifle, I saw it on top of the third floor of some building. I just aimed the 50 at that and fired away several rounds. Then the sniping stopped. Later that day, we went up the see if I hit anything, well, sure enough a dead Iraqi with a scoped rifle next to him and his body wasn't pretty to look at with the devastating of the 50 caliber rounds.

TheWiredFox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    It looks like this answer has been given before, but for the same cost (which it wouldn't be, the full-auto / select fire would cost more) it is better to have options. We carry guns we hope to never use (except for practice) because we like the option to use it if we need it. Same goes for full-auto. Costs too much, so we would hope to never use it, but the option would be nice.

TheWiredFox

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Thread title pretty much sums it up. If the paperwork and cost were essentially the same, would you purchase a fully automatic version of a weapon you already own?

Sure -
    I don't know how you'd do it but, I'd love to have a full-auto version of my double barreled 12gauge. :D

Top Bottom