• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    If you're asking if it would be unethical...no, it would not be. People have to sell things for a variety of reasons. If speed of sale is essential, then prices are normally lowered in order to sell by a specific deadline. An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If an item MUST be sold by tomorrow, then it gets sold for whatever the guy can get for it by tomorrow, regardless of what the guy would accept in an ideal scenario.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Normally, I would think this kind of act is immoral, but thinking about it further, if this guy had fallen on hard times, and he really needed the money, and you were hoping to do for yourself, by doing less for a man in need, I would say YES its immoral.

But in my book, if he did something to classify himself as a violent felon, he might have given up any rights he had to be treated like a decent person.

So, maybe not immoral at all.

Of course this is 'Merica, so you can do whichever you see fit, and neither is really wrong. Unless you believe in judgement after death, or are just hypercritical of yourself.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I've had guys come in and have an immediate need for cash for a collection. I've tried to give them some idea what they are worth (wholesale) and what I could do for an entire package. I've offered them alternatives (consignment). But, if they are really jammed up, I'll offer the most I can and tell them it's the best I can do.

OTOH, I have no problem squeezing a smartass for every nickel in a trade.

I haven't quite figured out the whole gestalt of this mindset, but I don't lose sleep.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    He may, at some point, have to get rid of them in a real big hurry if he waits too long or is stubborn with over-high prices.

I think my brother acquired several firearms in this very same scenario. No time to dicker or deal - these irons had to go. I don't know how close the seller was to trial, but it certainly wasn't post conviction. It had to be around the time the seller was charged with the felony. Then things moved quickly.

Silverslider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    its all about the sellers options and my need. i have no problem low balling someone if it is helping them out and is not really helping me. example; he has a bunch of guns that i do not really want/need for my collection. so then i would need to spend my time to look for buyers and resell. my time is money. especially for an acquaintence. i am always willing to go the extra mile to help out friends. if i wanted/needed the guns and did not need to unload them, i would adjust my offer accordingly. i am never in the market to screw anyone. i help friends when i can. if providing an acquaintence with much needed cash or getting rid of his collection that will soon become void by his legal status change then i do not mind coming out ahead.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    as long as your offer isnt insultingly low, like $150 for a loaded RRA AR with trigger mod and optics, then go for it. Like other said, worst he can do is [STRIKE]say no.[/STRIKE] stab you in the face because he is already looking at a hard time. :dunno::):

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I don't see any problem making an offer and finding out if he will take it. The problem I see is if he is an acquaintance then what is to say once he is down on his luck he doesn't break into your place later or mention this to other hard up friends where lots of guns are stored. You may be setting yourself up for future problems.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Personally I see nothing wrong with making ANY offer to purchasing ANYTHING. Nor do I feel offended if someone makes me an offer to buy something I own. There is nothing "forcing" anyone to accept the offer. Over the years I have collected firearms, I have purchased some at low prices due to persons approaching me wanting to sell immediately. In many cases I was not really ready to purchase a firearm, nor did I really want/need the gun in question. So even if the firearm value was $500, I might offer $250 or $300. Remember, the seller wanted the instant cash, and I really wasn't interested in buying the piece for the actual value.

I don't think anyone ever went away unhappy - though the seller may have regretted it later. I too have (long in the past) sold items for quite a bit below the true value, for reasons like - needed the cash for other more pressing issues, or didn't want the hassle of advertizing or searching for a buyer that would pay more. Can't say I truly felt taken. The person in question may need the instant cash for his attorney and you may be doing him a big favor!

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    It's the same as so-called 'gouging' in reverse. So yes, go for it. A low-ball offer is better than no offer. If the guy were a buddy or family member, it would be a different scenario, but otherwise it's just business. If he doesn't think it's a fair deal, he can tell you to cram it. I'd start by offering him something similar to what a shop would give him if selling for cash, which is probably somewhere around 60% of retail value. Nothing wrong with that at all, but I might not approach him unless you know for a fact that he is looking to unload his weapons, just like I would not be asking a new widow 'how much for your dead husbands guns' while standing in front of the casket at the funeral. That's just indecent.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I'd be all over it.

The only issue I have is that entering into a ftf transaction with a person whom you have knowledge that may potentially disqualify them as a proper person, is that legal? Or is the fact that your knowledge stops short of the conviction as the trial is pending, sufficient to prove you did not participate in firearms transfer with an improper person?

I had the opportunity a couple years ago. Aquaintance of mine, friend of a friend of a friend was arrested for DUI, posession of marijuana, reckless driving, resisting arrest, multitude of traffic violations, and driving while suspended. The person in question owned several firearms, and offered them to me for a flat price which was quite a deal. I could have flipped for double if I wanted.

But, I passed on the offer. With the knowledge I had about the seller, I felt I would be in violation of the law about proper persons. Even disregarding that portion, I felt that I couldn't verify the origen of the majoriy of the guns, and given the circumstance, feared several may have been stolen.

I think in this scenario each case is different.

If someone I knew for life was arrested for alleged domestic abuse and wanted to liquidate for legal fees/asset protection, I'd be all over it. Even an aquaintance I was fairly familiar with I might consider... However, someone whom I know is involved with the criminal element that wants to liquidate prior to going down for felony charges, I'll stay away.

In the spirit of the question though... If someone needs to sell quickly, I have absolutely no problem lowballing them. If you state "priced for quick sale" or "need to fund repairs on my truck" I'm going to lowball the **** out of your merchandise. If you're truly desperate, you'll bite. If not, I'm not out anything.

Heck, if it's something I'm remotely interested in, and not in high demand, I lowball. Even family members. I've had some luck though. 5-6 months after my lowball offer "Offer is standing if you change your price in the future" I'll get a PM with an acceptance. I've bought several guns this way. Lowball in June, buy in December

Ungie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Connecticut
    I think that it is all right to make an offer. I think danmdevries makes good sense with all he said. I think to be taken seriously with any offer you make, you have to look realistically at what the merchandise is worth and more importantly what is it worth to you. If you offer a price that would be insult I am sure the seller will let you know. I would figure out where I wanted to start and what my maximum offer would be before I would politely bow out. Who knows the situation that they are in may warrant the need for money really fast, and they may accept even what you feel is a low ball.

Top Bottom