• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I bought a handgun from a young man that caught a D Felony. I bought it for $125.00 less than that firearm was selling for on GunBroker. It was his asking price so I didn't feel bad at all. Feel free to Haggle on price. If he sells to you it's his acceptance of your offer.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    You kidding me? I've been looking for an opportunity to buy some nice stuff from someone in a pinch.
    Ever watched pawn stars? How you think they became rich?
    I know someone that has people come to him with whatever items they need to unload,
    power equip, guns, etc, because they know he can buy it. They get immediate cash and
    he gets the item to keep or resale.
    The guy isn't convicted yet anyway. You are buying not selling, as far as your conscience is concerned.
    If he has to unload them, someones going to get them sooo......
    I guess the only meaningful variable is your relationship with him. If your gut tells you he could be a problem later
    then that may be your only area of concern. Only you can answer that.:twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One of my longtime friends has decided to sell off his collection. Health issues and a serious motorcycle accident prevent him from shooting anymore. He has some really nice military pieces all the way back to an original Springfield drop block. He is not really wanting to sell them off 1 at a time as that would be a hassle to him. We are in negotiations right now for the entire lot. I may buy them all or just the few I really want and sell off the rest as his agent. He does not do the interwebs. Old school guy.
    Then again, I may just get them all and keep them.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    No law against buying from someone who is "not a proper person". They're prohibited from buying guns under the law, not prohibited from possessing money. ;)

I also would only worry about the guy coming back for them later, and about ATF concerns if you are buying his guns for the purpose of reselling them. That might be construed to constitute "engaging in the business" (and you could end up as his cellmate.)

I'd be all over it.

The only issue I have is that entering into a ftf transaction with a person whom you have knowledge that may potentially disqualify them as a proper person, is that legal? Or is the fact that your knowledge stops short of the conviction as the trial is pending, sufficient to prove you did not participate in firearms transfer with an improper person?

I had the opportunity a couple years ago. Aquaintance of mine, friend of a friend of a friend was arrested for DUI, posession of marijuana, reckless driving, resisting arrest, multitude of traffic violations, and driving while suspended. The person in question owned several firearms, and offered them to me for a flat price which was quite a deal. I could have flipped for double if I wanted.

But, I passed on the offer. With the knowledge I had about the seller, I felt I would be in violation of the law about proper persons. Even disregarding that portion, I felt that I couldn't verify the origen of the majoriy of the guns, and given the circumstance, feared several may have been stolen.

I think in this scenario each case is different.

If someone I knew for life was arrested for alleged domestic abuse and wanted to liquidate for legal fees/asset protection, I'd be all over it. Even an aquaintance I was fairly familiar with I might consider... However, someone whom I know is involved with the criminal element that wants to liquidate prior to going down for felony charges, I'll stay away.

In the spirit of the question though... If someone needs to sell quickly, I have absolutely no problem lowballing them. If you state "priced for quick sale" or "need to fund repairs on my truck" I'm going to lowball the **** out of your merchandise. If you're truly desperate, you'll bite. If not, I'm not out anything.

Heck, if it's something I'm remotely interested in, and not in high demand, I lowball. Even family members. I've had some luck though. 5-6 months after my lowball offer "Offer is standing if you change your price in the future" I'll get a PM with an acceptance. I've bought several guns this way. Lowball in June, buy in December

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    No law against buying from someone who is "not a proper person". They're prohibited from buying guns under the law, not prohibited from possessing money. ;)

I also would only worry about the guy coming back for them later, and about ATF concerns if you are buying his guns for the purpose of reselling them. That might be construed to constitute "engaging in the business" (and you could end up as his cellmate.)

Agreed, and fortunately for the OP, I didn't notice where he stated he was intending to sale anything if they were purchased.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Agreed, and fortunately for the OP, I didn't notice where he stated he was intending to sale anything if they were purchased.

True. Others, however, have responded to that effect, or so it appeared to me. Fortunately, they did so in an abstract way, ("I could resell that for double the price I paid" or similar statements)

Remember, folks... you might only be a screen name here, but with enough resources, who you are could be easily determined, and as has been said before, this site gets its share of visitors from governmental IP addresses...

Call that a word to the wise.

Blessings,
    Bill

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Haha. Good point. Maybe a very polite lowball. :):

Hey man, I'll do 200 cash tonight for your Glock 17! I always laugh at those, as if I needed to sell tonight and accepted other forms of currency.

Remember, folks... you might only be a screen name here, but with enough resources, who you are could be easily determined, and as has been said before, this site gets its share of visitors from governmental IP addresses...

Governmental IP addresses you say? I say folks bored and surfing the internet while at work instead of actually working. But this is just an opinion.

Last edited:

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    True. Others, however, have responded to that effect, or so it appeared to me. Fortunately, they did so in an abstract way, ("I could resell that for double the price I paid" or similar statements)

Call that a word to the wise.

Blessings,
    Bill

Well let me state a clarification.

I stated I could easily flip them for double the price if I wanted. All I'm saying is the price to sell to me was less than half of the average used sale price I could find on gunbroker and they were relatively in demand guns - Glocks, a couple .22s, Jframe and if I decided to resell any of them, I wouldn't lose money. I've never bought a gun with the intent to resell. I also don't plan to start, despite having quite an attractive offer dangled in front of me.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I think it's fine to offer less money. Only time I see an ethical problem in the buyer/seller relationship is where one party has stuff that people NEED, particularly in a time of emergency and they jack up the price to take advantage, or if a buyer knowingly takes advantage of a seller he knows to be ignorant of the value of the item. (ie, an old lady selling off her deceased husband's mint, matching #'s bringback Luger and you offer her a fraction of the value because she doesn't know what she has.)

Top Bottom