• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    I haven't read through the thread, but I've heard stories of TX LEOs having cowboy boots fitted with internal leather holsters as part of the boot.

Unfortunately my google-fu hasn't turned up any results for you, but if I can come across some more details or retail level options I'll pass them along (though I'm guessing these would be custom boots)

I saw a picture of those once! If nothing else I'd love to have some made just for having them, because whats cooler than cowboy boots? Cowboy boots that are packin haha :D

HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    HD, I'm also a guitarist at a church. Suitcoats don't work well for me either, so the compromise that I settled on is always wearing my button down shirts untucked. In the summer, I go to short sleeve button down shirts, and leave those untucked as well.

I typically carry a full size M&P 9mm to church. If something goes down at the church during a service, it's likely that the target is not me, personally, but the large group of people that are assembled there for the service. For that reason, I carry my full sized handgun, and plenty of extra ammo. The chances of me standing right next to the perp when somethings starts are slim to none, so a pocket pistol is not what I want to have with me, because I may have to shoot at 7+ yards, and I don't feel very comfortable with many of the micro compact pistols that I've handled.

A good belt, a tuckable IWB holster, and slightly oversized shirts make the whole thing work.

Thats a good thought, no has mentioned. Though my dad bumming it in the back row might be side by side with his pocket pistol haha

Maybe it's just me, but when I have to start carrying enough fire power to church to wage a small scale war, I'm either going to find a different church or me and the good Lord are going to have a one on one from the safety of my own home.

Well I'm carrying because if a BG comes in for what ever reason the only thing I'll know, is that I wont know when. Also as the worship leader I feel compelled to be prepared on both a spiritual and physical front for what ever may or may not come.

HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    I was thinkin about belly band. You'd just have to do the lean forward hug thing so as not to bruise the old ladies.

I looked at the belly band but felt it would bump against my guitar and I don't need clangs and bangs making me sound any worse ha!

Does your church have any kind of school there? If so might want to reconsider. If not, have you thought of open carry :)

No where a new church so no school yet, and while the head pastor is pro gun and getting his license I don't think he's informed or passionate enough yet to support open carry. But we're getting him there :)

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Thats a good thought, no has mentioned. Though my dad bumming it in the back row might be side by side with his pocket pistol haha

Well I'm carrying because if a BG comes in for what ever reason the only thing I'll know, is that I wont know when. Also as the worship leader I feel compelled to be prepared on both a spiritual and physical front for what ever may or may not come.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with carrying, or even carrying at church, I'm commenting on some of the suggestions, if there is a need for long range shooting or multiple hi-cap magazines, you may be in over your head. My suggestion is, carry enough gun to satisfy your own comfort level and maybe ask for a little devine assistance.

HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    I'm not saying there is anything wrong with carrying, or even carrying at church, I'm commenting on some of the suggestions, if there is a need for long range shooting or multiple hi-cap magazines, you may be in over your head. My suggestion is, carry enough gun to satisfy your own comfort level and maybe ask for a little devine assistance.

Well that I can agree with. I think there's a happy medium for myself in the midst of these posts and of course my own opinions. I ask for "a little devine assistance" every day :)

I did like the idea of a shotgun guitar though... haha

Woodro29

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    That is only true IF the daycare or preschool meets the legal definition of a school in the Indiana Code. You can also carry in a school IF you have been authorized by the school. Since the OP is the minister of this church, I don't think he will have any problem being authorized by himself.;)

So how do you verify if the school or preschool comes in under the Indiana code????

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property"
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).
    As added by P.L.296-1987, SEC.4. Amended by P.L.34-1991, SEC.27; P.L.9-1991, SEC.95; P.L.2-1992, SEC.880; P.L.81-1992, SEC.38; P.L.1-1993, SEC.240; P.L.160-1994, SEC.1; P.L.1-2005, SEC.227; P.L.145-2006, SEC.370.

IC 12-17.2-2-8
    Licensure exemptions
    Sec. 8. The division shall exempt from licensure the following programs:
    (1) A program for children enrolled in grades kindergarten through 12 that is operated by the department of education or a public or private school.
    (2) A program for children who become at least three (3) years of age as of December 1 of a particular school year (as defined in IC 20-18-2-17) that is operated by the department of education or a public or private school.
    (3) A nonresidential program for a child that provides child care for less than four (4) hours a day.
    (4) A recreation program for children that operates for not more than ninety (90) days in a calendar year.
    (5) A program whose primary purpose is to provide social, recreational, or religious activities for school age children, such as scouting, boys club, girls club, sports, or the arts.
    (6) A program operated to serve migrant children that: (A) provides services for children from migrant worker families; and
    (B) is operated during a single period of less than one hundred twenty (120) consecutive days during a calendar year.
    (7) A child care ministry registered under IC 12-17.2-6.
    (8) A child care home if the provider:
    (A) does not receive regular compensation;
    (B) cares only for children who are related to the provider;
    (C) cares for less than six (6) children, not including children for whom the provider is a parent, stepparent, guardian, custodian, or other relative; or
    (D) operates to serve migrant children.
    (9) A child care program operated by a public or private secondary school that:
    (A) provides day care on the school premises for children of a student or an employee of the school;
    (B) complies with health, safety, and sanitation standards as determined by the division under section 4 of this chapter for child care centers or in accordance with a variance or waiver of a rule governing child care centers approved by the division under section 10 of this chapter; and
    (C) substantially complies with the fire and life safety rules as determined by the state fire marshal under rules adopted by the division under section 4 of this chapter for child care centers or in accordance with a variance or waiver of a rule governing child care centers approved by the division under section 10 of this chapter.
    (10) A school age child care program (commonly referred to as a latch key program) established under IC 20-26-5-2 that is operated by:
    (A) the department of education;
    (B) a public or private school; or
    (C) a public or private organization under a written contract with:
    (i) the department of education; or
    (ii) a public or private school.
    As added by P.L.1-1993, SEC.141. Amended by P.L.61-1993, SEC.8; P.L.136-1993, SEC.6; P.L.2-1995, SEC.50; P.L.50-2001, SEC.1; P.L.1-2005, SEC.136.

Information Maintained by the Office of Code Revision Indiana Legislative Services Agency
    IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses
    IC 35-47-9-0.1
    Application of chapter
    Sec. 0.1. The addition of this chapter by P.L.140-1994 applies to crimes committed after June 30, 1994.
    As added by P.L.220-2011, SEC.624.

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

IC 31-27-2-7
    Child caring institutions and group homes operated by churches and religious ministries
    Sec. 7. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c), the department shall exempt from licensure a child caring institution and a group home operated by a church or religious ministry that is a religious organization exempt from federal income taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (as defined in IC 6-3-1-11) and that does not:
    (1) accept for care:
    (A) a child who is a delinquent child under IC 31-37-1-1 or IC 31-37-2-1; or
    (B) a child who is a child in need of services under IC 31-34-1-1 through IC 31-34-1-9; or
    (2) operate a residential facility that provides child care on a twenty-four (24) hour basis for profit. (b) The department shall adopt rules under IC 4-22-2 to govern the inspection of a child caring institution and a group home operated by a church or religious ministry with regard to sanitation.
    (c) The fire prevention and building safety commission shall adopt rules under IC 4-22-2 to govern the inspection of a child caring institution and a group home operated by a church or religious ministry under this section. The rules must provide standards for fire alarms and fire drills.
    (d) A child caring institution and a group home operated by a church or religious ministry under this section shall comply with the rules established by the department and the fire prevention and building safety commission under this section.
    As added by P.L.145-2006, SEC.273.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Kel Ttec PF9 with the optional clip, put it at 6 oclock inside your belt or in a hip pocket. IF your shirt drapes out just a little it will be invisable.
    Otherwise any flat profile pistol with a iwb holster should do the job. You can still wear our shirt tucked in just let it blouse out in back and on the sides like it wants to do anyway.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    I use 2 systems at church.

- KelTec P3AT .380 with pocket clip. Works exceptionally well for concealment with tight fitting clothes. the gun can be tucked nicely on your side or mid back with shirt tucked in. Easily accessable.

- Glock 32 with Comp Tac IWB holster (Minotaur MTAC). Not as concealable as the KelTec but more firepower. The Minotaur MTAC allows you to tuck a shirt in but not very neatly. The holster does fit tight and allows for easy access (after you pull your shirt out of the way )

Good luck - God bless - and Merry Christmas

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I thought of this thread the other night, when we attended a Christmas party for hubby's work. It was supposed to be business casual, and I don't own many dress clothes. I was able to put something together, but didn't know how to CC. I had on boots, and my dress pants were on the outside, not tucked into them. i tried the gun in an ankle holster inside the boot, that wasn't working too well. Then I tried it on the outside of the boot. It worked. I wore it around the house for awhile to be sure there were no problems, and then it stayed there for the next 5-6 hrs.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I thought of this thread the other night, when we attended a Christmas party for hubby's work. It was supposed to be business casual, and I don't own many dress clothes. I was able to put something together, but didn't know how to CC. I had on boots, and my dress pants were on the outside, not tucked into them. i tried the gun in an ankle holster inside the boot, that wasn't working too well. Then I tried it on the outside of the boot. It worked. I wore it around the house for awhile to be sure there were no problems, and then it stayed there for the next 5-6 hrs.
    Sooooo. Did you have the same strategy that I had when I ankle carried all the time and the time would come to draw? "Excuse me, sir (punk-asses like to be called sir!:) ) but I need to tie my shoe before you shoot me."

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Sooooo. Did you have the same strategy that I had when I ankle carried all the time and the time would come to draw? "Excuse me, sir (punk-asses like to be called sir!:) ) but I need to tie my shoe before you shoot me."
    i was thinking i could distract the punks by turning around and "mooning" them. :laugh:

fenderpbass

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Evansville
    I carry everytime at church. I am the treasurer and I deal with a lot of money. I carry a Taurus 85 hammerless under an untucked shirt. We are very informal. A lot of people know and don't care. Pastor carries also.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I've been a worship leader and I decided it was not my role in the service to be the protection.

My primary function was to lead worship, and anything that can distract from that - like a noticeable bulge or heaven forbid (pun intended) exposed weapon would no doubt hamper that. Furthermore, just the psychological worry about something like that happening in front of tons of people was a hindrance to my own spirit, so I elected not to do it.

I'd talk to someone else in the congregation and have them cover for you. Maybe keep something in your instrument case locked up fairly close by if you need it.

Check that your church doesn't have a recognized day care or school, otherwise you shouldn't be carrying there anyways.

Top Bottom