Woman who called IMPD on husband wants answers in his fatal shooting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Geez, I better never get into trouble.

There's trouble, and then there's trouble. A cop who can't consistently follow the rules, especially when they deal with his basic honesty, might be a problem. I mean, what line of business are cops in?

But specific to the story linked above, this is a bit rich for the paper to be peddling:

Following the shooting, Heather Hicks has demanded police focus on why her husband was shot – not their past relationship problems.

OK, their "past relationship problems" have NOTHING to do with the current event, but....

An Indianapolis police officer who fatally shot a man last week had been disciplined twice in his six years on the force

His past problems might!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I hope you are not as bad as that guy.
    Violation of take home car and illness policy!!!
    Dude is a loose cannon.

Within a month. Makes me think it's the same incident. I've only been off sick once, but I seem to recall you aren't supposed to drive your police car if you aren't on full duty status. Maybe. I would actually have to look up the general order as it's changed a hand full of times since I've been on and I never use it. I know when I broke my hand I drove my personal car while I had the cast on, though.

You could actually get in trouble for admin reasons, though. You have to notify your supervisor as well as call a "sick line" hotline, and then call the "sick line" when you're going back to work as well. If you take more than 2 days you have to get a doctor's note unless you were injured on duty, then the worker's comp doctor does that part for you.

Violating the take home policy, that's probably on him.

Regardless, just spitballing. I know who he is but don't actually know him.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I feel bad for the police when they get called to these "domestic disturbances". I bet being a cop is hard.

Yep
    Those are notoriously some of the most dangerous calls they ever get, and even if things go right (no one gets seriously injured or killed), they often wind up going quite badly later, and things either go badly for the responding cop at that time, or the responding cop gets criticized by the "victim" for deciding that he would rather live than politely allow the perp to kill him.
    Yeah, total Stockholm Syndrome there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow, they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Now, let's see a list of the thug's priors, shall we?

They want to keep this story front line for ratings.
    They suck......period.
    I agree chip.....lets review the "bad" guys record and all his positive contributions to society in general.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I hope you are not as bad as that guy.
    Violation of take home car and illness policy!!!
    Dude is a loose cannon.

QFT. Based on this new information I would say it's a bad shoot. This poor girl is bereft of her gentle partner because IMPD won't keep take home car abusers off the streets.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Am I missing something? What impact does a breach of off-duty illness and injury reporting, or violating the vehicle take home policy have on this encounter in which the officer was attacked and forced to defend himself?

The narrative my friend, the narrative. Never mind that the dead perp was beating the living dogsh*t out of a woman (who apparently smelled the color green after the fact), the officer was a DISCIPLINE PROBLEM since his personnel file got dinged twice, as BBI pointed out, probably over the same incident, never mind that it was strictly administrative in nature.

I am with Chip. My guess is that Mr. Perp has some things in his file a hell of a lot worse than calling in 'sick of work' and driving the company car while off work 'sick'.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    However, I don't frickin' commit crimes and then allegedly try to kill the cop that comes to investigate.

Little judgy there counselor.

For all we know, that officer had a brown recluse spider crawling across his face and the "victim" was just tryin to kill it.:dunno:

Prolly the same spider was crawling all over his old lady, leading to her misunderstanding the situation and calling the cops.:whistle:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Am I missing something? What impact does a breach of off-duty illness and injury reporting, or violating the vehicle take home policy have on this encounter in which the officer was attacked and forced to defend himself?

Would depend on what they actually entailed, and what the exact circumstances of the shooting were. If the disciplinary actions were for a scenario such as BBI outlined as a possibility, then not much. But if that incident (or incidents) included lying to his supervisors about what he had done with his take-home car, and/or not being truthful about his sick/injury status, that would be different matter. Especially if we then had to rely on only his statement, his truthfulness, as to what happened during the shooting -- such as saying the dead guy went for his gun when there are no other witnesses or video. ( I understand there was video, and hopefully it clears things up.) I think the past history of that address is pretty relevant as to what the cops were mentally prepared for when they went to that address -- in other words relevant to what happened -- but the history of the police can be relevant as well. As always, it depends on exactly what the facts are.

fatback mike

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Once the taser was knocked out of his hand he had every right to jump to lethal force. He tied the non lethal way and the bad guy knocked it out of his hand. By the way, how many people were charged with false informing in Ferguson?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Would depend on what they actually entailed, and what the exact circumstances of the shooting were. If the disciplinary actions were for a scenario such as BBI outlined as a possibility, then not much. But if that incident (or incidents) included lying to his supervisors about what he had done with his take-home car, and/or not being truthful about his sick/injury status, that would be different matter. Especially if we then had to rely on only his statement, his truthfulness, as to what happened during the shooting -- such as saying the dead guy went for his gun when there are no other witnesses or video. ( I understand there was video, and hopefully it clears things up.) I think the past history of that address is pretty relevant as to what the cops were mentally prepared for when they went to that address -- in other words relevant to what happened -- but the history of the police can be relevant as well. As always, it depends on exactly what the facts are.

Lying is a different "charge" in your personnel record then violating policy.

To clarify, there is a policy that requires you to be truthful in any internal investigation. If you get disciplined for lying, it will be a violation of that policy and is separate from whatever you were being investigated for by internal affairs, and will be written up as such.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom