• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    Honestly, I'd wait around outside about the same time they pop off.

With any luck....

"well, officer, I heard someone screaming for help and when I went to check on it they fired upon me. I returned fire. I would like to talk to my lawyer."

Dude, I've lived on the Eastside since I was born. I moved back to the same street I grew up on to be next to my family. One thing I learned real quick growing up that served me well in Iraq was to pop back the second it happens. Like you said,.the cops don't come in any timely fashion, so it's on you to make the situation end. Be it moving, or taking advantage of their stupidity.

I have been slowly making headway on my street by little things. The neighborhood has a closed group on Facebook for this. We attend meetings with public safety officials and IMPD. Me and my Dad make record of license plates, vehicles, and frequency of activity. I may or may not practice my tailing skills. You have to build a case because the cops can't be there to see it all, but it helps the crimestoppers relay that info. I've helped Mrs. Mackey's mom and Dad get rid of scum in their neighborhood because they were too scared to call crime stoppers or anything. It's time consuming, but it's rewarding because you are taking your neighborhood back.

Don't be afraid of the possibility of retiring subterfuge and/or sabotage (not saying you should):

Maybe the drug dealers car "breaks down" several blocks away while he's on a deal. Maybe someone else is pulled over for missing license plates and they get popped for possession. Or...maybe they get shut down via self defense measures.

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    I too live in the "French Quarter" I like to toss flash bangs on my drunken neighbors porch at 4 am on Sunday mornings, I feel obligated as a pillar of the community.

WAKEY WAKEY. EGGS AND BOOOOOOM !!!!!!!!!! MF'erS !!!!!!!

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    It's stories like these that make me glad that I have great neighbors. We even have keys to each others houses.

I am an EastSider as well, and luckily I have good neighbors on both sides of me, and three houses of good people across from me. We are like a little oasis of mutual open eyes and back watching. The rest of the street isn't too bad....bad eggs come and go but never seem to last four whole seasons. We have been renting this house for five years this year, and two of my other neighbors rent also. The homeowners around us get a little jumpy anytime they suspect we might be thinking about moving :):

Good luck with your problem, BNaB. If you don't mind getting more specific, what is your approx location? Where we met for that deal last week, I am about 1 mile south and .5 mile east.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I too live in the "French Quarter" I like to toss flash bangs on my drunken neighbors porch at 4 am on Sunday mornings, I feel obligated as a pillar of the community.

WAKEY WAKEY. EGGS AND BOOOOOOM !!!!!!!!!! MF'erS !!!!!!!

Rep inbound, this made me lol.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I am an EastSider as well, and luckily I have good neighbors on both sides of me, and three houses of good people across from me. We are like a little oasis of mutual open eyes and back watching. The rest of the street isn't too bad....bad eggs come and go but never seem to last four whole seasons. We have been renting this house for five years this year, and two of my other neighbors rent also. The homeowners around us get a little jumpy anytime they suspect we might be thinking about moving :):

Good luck with your problem, BNaB. If you don't mind getting more specific, what is your approx location? Where we met for that deal last week, I am about 1 mile south and .5 mile east.

Exactly the same except one mile south and one block west.

majew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Every time I come back from the range I clean my rifles on the front porch, in plain view. I take my time and I make sure people see me doing it. I like most of the people around me on the east side and I wave to my neighbors and say hello. I want people to know my house is armed.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Every time I come back from the range I clean my rifles on the front porch, in plain view. I take my time and I make sure people see me doing it. I like most of the people around me on the east side and I wave to my neighbors and say hello. I want people to know my house is armed.

Or you could be making your house a B&E target.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012

Why not?

When we leased a business front, it was in a high crime area and my father had welding experience. He bought and welded bars on all the windows, and the front gate that closed over the wooden doors. LL accepted the bill, just have to make sure to let them know it's in their best interest.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Why not?

When we leased a business front, it was in a high crime area and my father had welding experience. He bought and welded bars on all the windows, and the front gate that closed over the wooden doors. LL accepted the bill, just have to make sure to let them know it's in their best interest.

IIRC, the post said that the landlord would be required to pay for it. A renter can't simply make an improvement and expect the landlord to pay for it. It can be negotiated, and maybe the LL will pay. Sounds like you got lucky with sticking your landlord with that bill. If it had been my property, I would have said "too bad - we should have discussed it first".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    IIRC, the post said that the landlord would be required to pay for it. A renter can't simply make an improvement and expect the landlord to pay for it. It can be negotiated, and maybe the LL will pay. Sounds like you got lucky with sticking your landlord with that bill. If it had been my property, I would have said "too bad - we should have discussed it first".

Having owned many pieces of rental property I agree, discuss it with me first or do not do anything to my property. I have evicted folks for screwing with the house they were renting. Long story but it is mine and I will give the final ya or nay.
    We have also addressed bad neighbors and gotten them removed through channels or outside them. Always a way.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Why not?

funny, we did the same thing. Discussed it with our LL and he said go for it, But I am not paying for it. :dunno:
    he did however have a scissor gate for the front door that he installed so we didn't have that expense, but it had to stay when we left.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    The post did not say the LL is required to pay for it, please quote that. It said the Landlord SHOULD pay for it.
    I also did not say we did it to the store, without discussing it with the landlord, I said he accepted the bill. And I said you have to make sure to let them know it's in their best interest to allow the upgrade. Any damage to the exterior property from vandalism was already the LLs responsibility to repair. So if he wanted to keep having to replace busted windows, damaged blocks, and the wooden doors from people trying to break in, he can go right ahead and refuse to pay for the welding materials.

Top Bottom