• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I live on the east side of Indianapolis. Not the best neighborhood nor the worst. My hispanic neighbors across the alley to the North love to shoot their revolvers into the air on random days in the wee hours of the morning.

About ten minutes ago I was woken up by twenty shots fired outside my house in their back yard. The shots were fired with less than a second between them and it was a heck of a noise. This is the fifth time that I've had this happen but before it has always been two or three smaller caliber rounds with several seconds in between shots.

I called the police. They showed up, god bless 'em, and lit up the area with flood lights. I talked to one officer and told him exactly where the shots came from and that we've had this problem for over a year one more than five occasions. They can't do anything. It's not their fault but if they don't see who's shooting or where it's coming from then there isn't much they can do.

Do any of the forum LEOs or other members have any suggestions as to what I can do to effectively help these guys put an end to this? I love shooting guns but this is going to get someone hurt and I don't want that.

EDIT -Post 54, Page 6.
    Well the situation just got a lot worse! One of my other two roommates just called and said that about an hour ago someone in the alley unloaded a full magazine into the side of our house...

The police are there and the family gave consent to search the house so they're tearing it apart.

I'm at work now but both of my roommates were home at the time of the shooting.

This just got really hairy.

Last edited:

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    So I can go out and shoot the trees in my backyard, but if the cops don't see me do it, there's nothing they can do?

Off to print some targets. :D

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    The cops can't do anything because they know the prosecutor's office likely won't persue the criminal recklessness since it's an unwitnessed misdemeanor. I suggest you contact the Marion County Prosecutor's office and ask to speak directly with a deputy prosecutor, not a clerk, assistant or secretary. Explain to them your dilema and EMPHASIZE your concern for you & your family's safety. You probably should be willing to make an official statement and testify before you begin this venture, but with a little persistance, I believe you could accomplish something, it's just going to be up to you to decide if it's worth the hassle you're probably going to endure.

Personally, as much as I hate to say it, I like the "move" suggestion.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I said move, because if you catch them on video and they get arrested then you will most likely have to testify an even if you don't their court appointed attorney is going to tell them you are the guy who turned them in. So then they are gonna break or steal anything of yours they can from there on out. This is one reason I hate neighbors when you own a home or even rent. If the people around you hate you and are truly bad guys they can ruin your life or property.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Trail cam?
    This is what I was thinking. At least it would prove to the police that that IS where it's coming from.

As a possibilty, have you tried asking the Atterbury range officers to go yell at them and correct their issues? :)
    Good idea! Maybe add some responsible shooters near them to stare while the disembodied voice talks to you indirectly ;)

Totally sucks, I'd either try to move or weaken your next tree to fall their direction.
    Haha. Yeah, the tree thing is a good possibility.

The cops can't do anything because they know the prosecutor's office likely won't persue the criminal recklessness since it's an unwitnessed misdemeanor. I suggest you contact the Marion County Prosecutor's office and ask to speak directly with a deputy prosecutor, not a clerk, assistant or secretary. Explain to them your dilema and EMPHASIZE your concern for you & your family's safety. You probably should be willing to make an official statement and testify before you begin this venture, but with a little persistance, I believe you could accomplish something, it's just going to be up to you to decide if it's worth the hassle you're probably going to endure.

Personally, as much as I hate to say it, I like the "move" suggestion.
    Thanks for this :thumbsup: I might give this a try.

I said move, because if you catch them on video and they get arrested then you will most likely have to testify an even if you don't their court appointed attorney is going to tell them you are the guy who turned them in. So then they are gonna break or steal anything of yours they can from there on out. This is one reason I hate neighbors when you own a home or even rent. If the people around you hate you and are truly bad guys they can ruin your life or property.
    I know all too well of neighbor retaliation and revenge. I wish I stuck with Spanish in school so I could attempt to confront them about this in a respectful way.

I would move in a heartbeat if I had the funds. I've been working like crazy for the last three months to save up in order to move out but it's not going to be doable for months at least.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is what I was thinking. At least it would prove to the police that that IS where it's coming from.

Good idea! Maybe add some responsible shooters near them to stare while the disembodied voice talks to you indirectly ;)

I know all too well of neighbor retaliation and revenge. I wish I stuck with Spanish in school so I could attempt to confront them about this in a respectful way.

I would move in a heartbeat if I had the funds. I've been working like crazy for the last three months to save up in order to move out but it's not going to be doable for months at least.

There are ways to deal with this but it is a public forum.
    We have a more direct way of approaching these things around here. Had a little Hispanic fella that did the same thing after X amount of his favorite adult beverage. Direct confrontation worked very well. No more gun fire from his house.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

I wouldn't confront them. If they have no mind about firing guns in the air regularly then what's to say you wouldn't just disappear or get shot and them claim you tried to rob or kill them especially if your armed even if they can't see your piece. It's sad that we live in a age where neighbors can't work things out face to face without fear of death but sadly in the city that's Todays reality. Even in good neighborhoods because that's where all the meth cooks are.
    Keep saving and calling the police if you have too. Cops have many reasons they can take people to jail for and so if they get tired of coming there enough then eventually someone's gonna take a ride and if you have never said anything to the neighbor then they will never know it was you. Keep calling anonymously.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    There are ways to deal with this but it is a public forum.
    We have a more direct way of approaching these things around here. Had a little Hispanic fella that did the same thing after X amount of his favorite adult beverage. Direct confrontation worked very well. No more gun fire from his house.

Not smart advice to a guy asking for real help. Honestly. I would hate to give that advice to someone and see them get killed. I don't follow people who jump off bridges.

Top Bottom