• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I do not mean to often you but you I suspect are "old" and you just like I are set in our ways in terms of how we will interact with a computer.

I promise you didn't "often" me at all. ;)

I'm a 34 year old IT professional and I love new innovative technology, but I'm also a fan of things that actually work. Touch has certainly come a long way and is gaining some ground, but I don't know of anyone who tries to write lengthy documents on a touch interface. While I certainly can't predict that the desktop and traditional kb/m will continue to exist forever, they're not even approaching the end of their useful life. People just like to declare things dead so they can appear to be cutting edge and trendy, and sometimes they're right, but right now I liken the people who call desktop PC's "dead" to the guy who refused to sign the Beatles. :)

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I got a laptop this time last year that was Windows 7, it took me some time to get use to it since I have been running XP for the longest time.

I won't get Windows 8 if I have an option. I don't like fingerprints on my screen and I don't want to clean it every 5 minutes. If I wanted a tablet or something that acted like a tablet I would of bought a tablet.

:scratch:

it works fine with a mouse. You don't NEED a touch screen

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I got a laptop this time last year that was Windows 7, it took me some time to get use to it since I have been running XP for the longest time.

I won't get Windows 8 if I have an option. I don't like fingerprints on my screen and I don't want to clean it every 5 minutes. If I wanted a tablet or something that acted like a tablet I would of bought a tablet.

LOSER...
    pt-234.jpg

I promise you didn't "often" me at all. ;)

I'm a 34 year old IT professional and I love new innovative technology, but I'm also a fan of things that actually work. Touch has certainly come a long way and is gaining some ground, but I don't know of anyone who tries to write lengthy documents on a touch interface. While I certainly can't predict that the desktop and traditional kb/m will continue to exist forever, they're not even approaching the end of their useful life. People just like to declare things dead so they can appear to be cutting edge and trendy, and sometimes they're right, but right now I liken the people who call desktop PC's "dead" to the guy who refused to sign the Beatles. :)

Dude u r old!!!! ;):laugh:
    Old%2BFart%2B03.jpg

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    True, but whats the point then?
    I'll stick with 7, rather have xp.

No point if you are on Win 7 to go to Win 8.
    If you are on Win XP for sure move to Win 8 once you get a new rig.
    VISTA I'm not sure.

The sole reason I now have Win 8 is because the new laptop the family got has it. The new laptop came about because the old one (used IBM from pawn shop) is already 5 years old and runs like a snail.

Plus we use TurboTax for our taxes and I fear that the new version TurboTax 2013 may not have support for WIN XP (ie. you might not be able to install it). That is what eventually forced me to upgrade from WIN 2000 to WIN XP once I could no longer use TurboTax on said machine.

While we don't use IE I do know that on WIN XP you can no longer download the latest version of IE either.

Lastly DirectX A MUST FOR VIDEO GAMING is now on version 11 and ONLY works on WIN7 and WIN 8. XP's last version of DirectX is 9 which means many of the new games I can NOT play on my current XP rig. :(

So sadly I will have to make the leap to WIN 8 on a new desktop in the next 18 months once my gaming rig hits 8 years old if I want to continue to game.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Most complaints about Win8 can be reduced to "I don't want to change/learn something new."

Those talking of Microsoft's demise are only looking at it from a consumer standpoint. Microsoft has always gotten the bulk of their income from businesses. Computer sales are declining because the average person no longer needs to replace said computer every year or so because the $500 computer they bought is now slow as dirt. Tablets and smartphones are also taking a piece of the pie for casual users. Businesses are not going away from computers any time soon due to the reasons stated earlier.

Replacing a keyboard and mouse will only be possible once computers can understand natural language as well as you and I. That means understanding accents and bad grammer as well as knowing who to listen to in a crowd or when multiple people are talking.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Those talking of Microsoft's demise are only looking at it from a consumer standpoint. Microsoft has always gotten the bulk of their income from businesses.

Actually windows 8 is bad news for MS from a business standpoint. A lot of businesses are still migrating to 7 and the initial learning curve of 8 isn't something a lot of companies are wanting to tackle. I think the odds are pretty high that 8 will end up being the "vista" that only gets consumer adoption and businesses will go straight to 9, which word on the street is being bumped up to early 2014.

Now Server 2012 however, should be a money maker, I've had it running on a test network for awhile and it's flat out amazing.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Actually windows 8 is bad news for MS from a business standpoint. A lot of businesses are still migrating to 7 and the initial learning curve of 8 isn't something a lot of companies are wanting to tackle. I think the odds are pretty high that 8 will end up being the "vista" that only gets consumer adoption and businesses will go straight to 9, which word on the street is being bumped up to early 2014.

Now Server 2012 however, should be a money maker, I've had it running on a test network for awhile and it's flat out amazing.

I tend to agree with everything you said. Haven't touched 2012 server yet, but I had to order it today. What do you like about it? Hopefully a cool new IIS version...

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, IIS 8 is new to it, I'm still wading through the features but there's a lot more in terms of resource control and management as well as good SSL improvements.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Yeah, IIS 8 is new to it, I'm still wading through the features but there's a lot more in terms of resource control and management as well as good SSL improvements.

Doh, I forgot that I have SA on a dozen servers, so I can go ahead and download it any time. I keep thinking because my MSDN expired that I have to wait for hard copies, because fulfillment used to go through MSDN. I do need my MSDN to get Visual Studio 2012 though, grrrr.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Help.

How do I force W8 to remember I am the admin and always open apps in the admin mode not the start menu tablet mode?

Also links in thunderbird will not open web pages. I have Chrome set as default in W8, and Chrome will flash up then go away and it will take me to the start page.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    How do I force W8 to remember I am the admin and always open apps in the admin mode not the start menu tablet mode?

Huh? Do you mean that you want every program to open with admin rights, and if so why? Do you mean that you prefer to use the classic apps instead of the full screen metro applications?

If you right click on a file, like an MP3 for instance, you can select "Open With" and choose the default program. If you don't want mp3's opening with the metro music app, pick windows media player (or whatever other app you want to use) and then it will be the default way for MP3's to open going forward.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Correct I do not like the metro apps. I hate having to drag them to close them.

Chrome icon on my desktop and task bar open in metro mode, unless I right clik to open as an admin for example.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

Chrome icon on my desktop and task bar open in metro mode, unless I right clik to open as an admin for example.

Alt+F4 closes windows.

Sounds like a Chrome problem :dunno: Try an older version maybe.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If I make IE 10 my default browser, I can open links in Thunderbird. I can get used to IE 10 I guess.

But now over half of the favicons on my favorites bar are gone/generic. I cleared my history and went to each link. no luck.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne

Navigate to c:\program files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application

then right click on chrome.exe send it to the desktop as a shortcut. You can also pin it to the start menu or taskbar if you like. That will open chrome in desktop mode instead of metro.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Done, pinned to taskbar. Right clik flashes the metro version then it closes and takes me to the start page. Left clik and choosing a task works fine after the admin auth window.

Top Bottom