• ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I'ma need cliff notes for that.

Both Apple and Microsoft have their pros and cons, so I'm staying away from that argument. It's tiresome.

Yeah, my intent was not to start a platform war, just make an ironic joke... like when I run across a coworker and say with feigned surprise, "do you still work here?"

I don't think Microsoft will ever disappear, it's too big a brand. I do think we'll see a day when everything it offers has a mirror in the marketplace that's more appealing to the consumer who doesn't place a premium on vertical integration, and I think that spells the end for its broad market appeal.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I dunno where your hate for dotnet comes from. It is what all the businesses and vendors I've seen are using for rapid development. I thought it was the most advanced language in existence. C# is like "C+++". ObjC is just plain C++ isn't it? I will be writing Windows 8 apps with it as soon as I finish my Android apps.

To summarize, yes Windows is on the decline, because PC's are on the decline in the consumer market. But I think dotnet (IIS, ASP.net, C#, etc. as a platform) s worth billions.

^this...
    The pc desktop is going the way of the dino and once its gone so will windows dominance.
    When the hardcore stuff (games, autocad) can be done good on a moblie device (ie. Think star trek pad) then its the end of windows

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    ^this...
    The pc desktop is going the way of the dino and once its gone so will windows dominance.
    When the hardcore stuff (games, autocad) can be done good on a moblie device (ie. Think star trek pad) then its the end of windows

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "it's the end of the desktop." CAD on a tablet? There will always be a desire for larger displays and until they can manage to incorporate some kind of futuristic projector into a mobile device (one that can put a seriously high quality projection almost anywhere) I'm certainly not going to consider giving up the three high quality displays I have on my current desktop. Not to mention there will always be a demand for higher powered workstations to tackle the latest and greatest and for the foreseeable future really powerful hardware will always be larger before it can be shrunk down.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Office and Government, CAD, etc. all rely on PC's. The PC is not dying, it is just being put in its place. People are spending more money and time on tablets, and have less money for PC's, but that is the CONSUMER market. I think some of you have never worked in an office environment, where PC's are still on every desk. As for games, at least MS has that area well covered with the Xbox, which cannibalised another role originally owned by the PC.

Can you imagine data entry on a tablet for eight hours a day? Even with a keyboard, the slow processor, and high expense are ridiculous. PC's used to be everything for everyone. All we are seeing now is specialized devices for mobile, gaming, etc. and the PC being relegated to work horse duties, which it is uniquely qualified to do.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    CTS but we (AUTOCAD users at work & FTS gamer at home) are the minority. Yes we will always have high end desktops just like we have high end cars (ie. racing cars) for a certain segment of the population. The masses however no longer need it.

Windows 3.1/95 was the answer for the masses in order to get them onto a PC that did not require one to use command lines to get stuff done.
    I recall many a times having to

cd..
    copy c:\report.doc c:\archive\reports\report.doc
    cd c:\archive\reports\
    rename report.doc nov-rep.doc

The masses could not do this and it was too time consuming to train them to do this. Yet when Windows 3.1 and 95 came out it became so much easier for the masses to transfer the files and rename them all by sight and mouse clicks.

That has worked well for the past 30 years but alas now we are seeing that you no longer need to sit at a desk to do stuff. You can telecommutte, do your stuff in a car, train, etc. We are always connected to the www via our phones and moblie hotspots. Yes our devices are not "office ready" yet. Meaning it's still a PITA to have to write a report on a mobile device (phone/tablet) but our laptops that were once bricks are not smaller and our phone/tablets are beinging to look more like mini-laptops.

Not a big fan of Star Trek but they were right...
    inside-3.jpg

Star-Trek-Voyager-TV-1995-movie-props.jpg

and devices like this as Android/Apple shows us do not need a Windows OS.
    We got Windows on PCs becuase that was the easiest OS for the masses to use that was visual. The masses need visual (for now) to interact with a computer.

Next step is to remove go audio/touch. We are already seeing touch via touchpads (ie. smartphones and tablets). It will make it a lot easier to "type" a word doc on a portable tablet when I can say
    "Computer own letter doc and type "Dear CTS, Thank you for your years of service with our company. We no longer need your services. You are fired."

"Computer save file, send file to CTS, also update personal file, and remove all clearance access from CTS's ID."

The next OS that can handle that is your next MS. Syri ??sp?? from Apple is trying this already with that app handling your mundane items. It's all about helping the masses. A computer is nothing more than your personal slave to do the things you don't want to have to do over and over.

This is off course until 8:11PM on April 18, .... when skynet comes self-aware.
    Skynet Becomes Aware, Launches Nuclear Attack On Humanity | Singularity Hub =)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Can you imagine data entry on a tablet for eight hours a day? Even with a keyboard, the slow processor, and high expense are ridiculous. PC's used to be everything for everyone. All we are seeing now is specialized devices for mobile, gaming, etc. and the PC being relegated to work horse duties, which it is uniquely qualified to do.

You are still thinking short-term and not outside the box.
    minority-report.jpg

Think that concept on a tablet. Projected big screen and projected keyboard for your data entry. Better yet and one with biz world would jump on remove the weakest link from the equation: the human! Data entry has the most mistakes by the user. :D

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I've used a projected keyboard...it's absolutely horrible. Even when they function 100% correctly the lack of tactile feedback makes it annoying. Imagine trying to play a piano where none of the keys moved.

Everyone seems so enamored by minority report but you do really want to be standing in front of your computer flailing your arms around to do any little thing? How the heck does he type? We can setup systems controlled that way right now (think MS Kinnect) and we don't because it's inefficient and no one who's tried it likes it. I've used tons of alternative input solutions over the years and the KB/M are still most definitely king.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Windows 8, how do you turn the damn computer off?

I had to google it. Really!

You are not suppose to turn off Win 8 don't you know. ;)
    You are not helping the economy by doing that.
    No PC on = no power used = no power company making electricity = no worker having to man the power station = no working having to eat lunch = no small biz resturant servering said lunch to work = no farmer getting his crops bought by small resturant =

aahhhh you get the point. :D

I've used a projected keyboard...it's absolutely horrible. Even when they function 100% correctly the lack of tactile feedback makes it annoying. Imagine trying to play a piano where none of the keys moved.

Everyone seems so enamored by minority report but you do really want to be standing in front of your computer flailing your arms around to do any little thing? How the heck does he type? We can setup systems controlled that way right now (think MS Kinnect) and we don't because it's inefficient and no one who's tried it likes it. I've used tons of alternative input solutions over the years and the KB/M are still most definitely king.

I do not mean to often you but you I suspect are "old" and you just like I are set in our ways in terms of how we will interact with a computer. Case in point I like my wires. My keyboard and mouse will ALWAYS have wires connected to my PC. I "feel/think" the wireless stuff causes lag and is not responsive enough for when I game. Plus I can't have the mouse battery fail on me during a tournament.

But I look at my 1 year old who is using the LeapPad and takes my smartphone and to her the world of computers has been and always will be touchbased. Her fingers do the "talking" with the LeapPad. The next generation won't have that die hard menalty of I need a keyboard.

My 1 year old will grow up with touch and sometime during her adult life audio will finally come into play. My grandkids will look at us and go gandpa man you are old! Why are you touching that thing with letters on it? You do know you can connect this hat/sensor and the computer will do what you want it to do right?

We are generation 1 (computer users), those that come next won't be using our input formats. Those that can see this and create the next input format will be very rich!

Is there such a person now out there? Sadly with S. Jobs comes (and I am a 100% APPLE HATER!) I don't see anyone else with his long term vision coming around the corner. APPLE is already showing us that they are now money centric vs Job's visiion centric.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Windows 8, how do you turn the damn computer off?

I had to google it. Really!

Had to show my wife last night. Obviously designed to suspend only, and never reboot.

I'll second netsecurity and others. The PC (desktop or full featured laptop) is still King in any real business. Tablets are simply not robust enough to do any real work. I could not do my job without a GOOD laptop and docking station. An iPad or Android would never work.

In the consumer market? If you are tweeting, playing games, and watching videos, then tablets are the way to go. Basically, they are for "consuming", but not creating. I'm sure that will change as the technology matures, the price/performance sweet spot moves down the curve, and developers get to work.

BTW: I'm jonesing for a Surface Pro or one of their competitors.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Next step is to remove go audio/touch. We are already seeing touch via touchpads (ie. smartphones and tablets). It will make it a lot easier to "type" a word doc on a portable tablet when I can say
    "Computer own letter doc and type "Dear CTS, Thank you for your years of service with our company. We no longer need your services. You are fired."

"Computer save file, send file to CTS, also update personal file, and remove all clearance access from CTS's ID."

I only disagree in that I don't think audio will ever be good enough for the masses. People are far too sloppy in the way they talk nowadays for that to work. I think the next real leap in interaction will be direct neural interface. I've always said I'd be first in line to put a jack in my head.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I dunno where your hate for dotnet comes from. It is what all the businesses and vendors I've seen are using for rapid development. I thought it was the most advanced language in existence. C# is like "C+++". ObjC is just plain C++ isn't it? I will be writing Windows 8 apps with it as soon as I finish my Android apps.

To summarize, yes Windows is on the decline, because PC's are on the decline in the consumer market. But I think dotnet (IIS, ASP.net, C#, etc. as a platform) s worth billions.

Program files x86 are for the 32bit programs on a 64bit machine.

Oh here I was thinking it contained 86 pics of xxx. Lol

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Maybe I missed something, I've been running Windows 8 for a few months now. Why can't you shut it off? :dunno:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Eh, I don't need a shell. I'm not opposed to the change. I thought maybe some didn't know where the secret menu was :shady:

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Eh, I don't need a shell. I'm not opposed to the change. I thought maybe some didn't know where the secret menu was :shady:

The problem I have with the charms bar is that I use a 3x1 multi-monitor setup and it can actually be a bit difficult to trigger from the center screen since I don't have a hard corner there.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    you could also wrote a simple bat or cmd file that does it and put it on the desktop. I use multiple monitors too, maybe my mouse isn't as sensitive.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I got a laptop this time last year that was Windows 7, it took me some time to get use to it since I have been running XP for the longest time.

I won't get Windows 8 if I have an option. I don't like fingerprints on my screen and I don't want to clean it every 5 minutes. If I wanted a tablet or something that acted like a tablet I would of bought a tablet.

Top Bottom