Wilson Combat 1911 .45 for how much? no way! no really, that much?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have the shock buffer in my WC but it came with it - and cycles beautifully. It's not slamming against the buffer very hard as I have a couple thousand rounds through it and the buffer still looks good.

One can avoid the use of the buffer if they get the right spring for the loads they're shooting but using the buffer does allow a little more 'leeway' when it comes to choosing a load without having to swap out the recoil spring to keep from battering the frame.

Only issues I've ever had with the gun not locking back was when I used cheap/crappy mags. I also have a nice set of WC magazines that have never given me problems [in any 1911].

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    you can't compare a production gun to a hand fitted gun.......i have never seen a RI with a better fitted barrel than a Colt......unless someone hand fitted it....

I know it's an apples to oranges comparison, but the bull barrel in my Rock Island has zero detectible play between the barrel and slide when in battery. My Colt on the other hand, had .008 vertical play when in battery between the barrel and slide, though the bushing. I ordered a custom EGW bushing to clean it up. Most of my production guns have a couple of thousandths play at best, but the Colt fit was way more loose. To that, add the cratered roll marks and tool marks and it just does not add up to a $900 product when Remington is able to produce a better fit pistol for over $200 less. I love all of my 1911s and maybe love the ones I need to tweak a bit more than the ones that were perfect from the factory. There is a level of satisfaction that comes from taking part in getting a gun to run perfectly.

If I were ever able to afford the WC in the original post, I'm sure I could get used to owning the results of someone elses efforts. It would be hard, but I'd just have to tough it out and enjoy it as received.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know it's an apples to oranges comparison, but the bull barrel in my Rock Island has zero detectible play between the barrel and slide when in battery. My Colt on the other hand, had .008 vertical play when in battery between the barrel and slide, though the bushing. I ordered a custom EGW bushing to clean it up. Most of my production guns have a couple of thousandths play at best, but the Colt fit was way more loose. To that, add the cratered roll marks and tool marks and it just does not add up to a $900 product when Remington is able to produce a better fit pistol for over $200 less. I love all of my 1911s and maybe love the ones I need to tweak a bit more than the ones that were perfect from the factory. There is a level of satisfaction that comes from taking part in getting a gun to run perfectly.

If I were ever able to afford the WC in the original post, I'm sure I could get used to owning the results of someone elses efforts. It would be hard, but I'd just have to tough it out and enjoy it as received.

The last 4 Colts I have done any work to were very sloppy barrel to bush fit. The triggers were crap as well. Maybe I just have high standards but a butt load of creep and pulled off at over 5 1/2 lbs.
    Some genuine love and attention brought them up to speed but out of the box.....:poop:

Last edited:

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    The last 4 Colts I have done any work to were very sloppy barrel to bush fit. The triggers were crap as well. Maybe I just have high standards but a butt load of creep and pulled off at over 5 1/2 lbs.
    Some genuine love and attention brought them up to speed but out of the box.....:POOP:

Colts have always been shoddy from the factory. I carried one in Nam that an armorer had made up out of 12 1911's, it was pretty decent. :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    4) Why doesn’t my pistol always reliably lock back when empty?
    Even though we use the strongest magazine springs in the industry, some pistols have such excessive tolerances in the magazine well–slidestop internal lobe area that some magazines will not reliably lock back on empty even when new. This is a known problem with some Springfield Armory pistols. You may need to have a gunsmith replace, polish or fit your slide stop for proper function. This may also be an indication that your springs need replacing.

Wilson Combat?s Guide to 1911 Magazine Troubleshooting

Good info. Thanks.
    The gun mentioned only had issue with those 2 mags. Ran great on all the other 40 or so.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Another used Wilson......

DLCSG1_450.jpg
    DLCSG2_450.jpg

Supergrade Compact 45
    Round Butt
    Unfired
    CCH Turnbull
    Carry and Ball Cuts
    Slimline bushings
    Beveled slide stop
    G10, ivory and buffalo horn grips

$6900.00

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    lets be honest now, compare that 7000 dollar wilson to a 700 dollar glock 21. the Wilson shoots one half inch better at 25 yards but is very ammo picky and requires a break in period to stop jamming.
    My Wilson Combat never jammed although they do tell you not to clean it for the first 750~1000 rounds so but that's due to the extreme precision and small tolerances.

That said - comparing a $700 mass-produced polymer firearm to a hand-assembled and fitted all-metal gun is about as apples to tires as one can get. [Yes, tires instead of oranges - it's that absurd a comparison].

My 1911 wasn't $7k it was $2,700 and it has been absolutely flawless.

Top Bottom