Wilson Combat 1911 .45 for how much? no way! no really, that much?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I would love to see that Wilson and know what was done to it. $7100 would have to be some sort of SuperGrade. I can say that the people I know who own and shoot Wilson's appreciate their guns. I had the opportunity last spring to be able to get very fair trade in value for a bunch of pistols towards a Wilson Tactical Elite with some options. It is my favorite gun to shoot and carry.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The gun is for sale at the indiana gun club in fishers..along with sever others for 4-6k...

...along with the $15,000 O/U shotguns. I will never understand how a simple shotgun could command THAT much without being gold plated. Maybe I'm just a simple man, but more than 5k for a shotgun seems a bit ridiculous... unless its a rare antique, handmade or owned by a dead famous person, etc. Even then who cares if Elvis, Hitler, etc. owned it? If thats the case it should be in a museum somewhere. (Note: I'm not impressed by autographs, etc.)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    ...along with the $15,000 O/U shotguns. I will never understand how a simple shotgun could command THAT much without being gold plated. Maybe I'm just a simple man, but more than 5k for a shotgun seems a bit ridiculous... unless its a rare antique, handmade or owned by a dead famous person, etc. Even then who cares if Elvis, Hitler, etc. owned it? If thats the case it should be in a museum somewhere. (Note: I'm not impressed by autographs, etc.)
    There are golf clubs that cost this much and they have far fewer moving parts...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have shot my fair share of Wilsons and the rest. Yes they are really well made and a joy to just fondle. As to shooting "Better" than my 1911's....once past the mystique of wielding a 3K plus 1911 they group up just like mine do. Of course, the gun is only as good as he who wields it.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have shot my fair share of Wilsons and the rest. Yes they are really well made and a joy to just fondle. As to shooting "Better" than my 1911's....once past the mystique of wielding a 3K plus 1911 they group up just like mine do. Of course, the gun is only as good as he who wields it.
    The only thing I noticed on mine beyond any other 1911 that I've handled is that it feels 'smoother' [hard to quantify] and hasn't had any failures over the first few thousand rounds.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The only thing I noticed on mine beyond any other 1911 that I've handled is that it feels 'smoother' [hard to quantify] and hasn't had any failures over the first few thousand rounds.

A fit/finish thing. Contact points are finished off with no tool marks remaining. The internals are all done up the same way. Attention to details result in what you observed.....smooth as silk. That is what you are paying for.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Wait... You carry a 1911 now Nate? If you're going to carry one ... WC is the way to go.

Yes. Most of the pistols you saw at NRA Basic Pistol were mine. I traded/sold a bunch of pistols to be able to afford the Wilson. I continued to carry a Glock during the transition. I have recently acquired a scandium framed SW1911PC. After some testing I finally decide to retire my Glock 23 to the safe. The Smith and Wilson are now my carry guns. I do still keep a J frame around as well.

I will still drag the Glock to classes so that I can make fun of Gordon. :):

photo_zpsed03d90c.jpg

IMG_20130417_113426_181_zpsdbcdc934.jpg

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes. Most of the pistols you saw at NRA Basic Pistol were mine. I traded/sold a bunch of pistols to be able to afford the Wilson. I continued to carry a Glock during the transition. I have recently acquired a scandium framed SW1911PC. After some testing I finally decide to retire my Glock 23 to the safe. The Smith and Wilson are now my carry guns. I do still keep a J frame around as well.

I will still drag the Glock to classes so that I can make fun of Gordon.

I love that model S&W. Had 2 of them and they found new homes but I would own another.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I would love to see that Wilson and know what was done to it. $7100 would have to be some sort of SuperGrade. I can say that the people I know who own and shoot Wilson's appreciate their guns. I had the opportunity last spring to be able to get very fair trade in value for a bunch of pistols towards a Wilson Tactical Elite with some options. It is my favorite gun to shoot and carry.
    This one is close to it in price.
    WCT28890A_450.JPG
    WCT28890B_450.JPG
    WCT28890C_450.JPG

Wilson Combat Tactical Supergrade Compact
    .45ACP
    Color case hardened frame
    Turnbull High Polish Charcoal Blue slide and small parts
    Flush cut / reverse crown barrel
    Flute barrel chamber
    Countersink slide stop
    Round butt frame
    Slide top serrations
    Checker rear of slide
    Tritium front sight
    Unotch rear battle sight
    Ambi safety
    French Walnut grips
    Sterling silver grip medallions
    List price $6680.00 SOLD!

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    This one sold 18 month ago, so it's price is lower. Wilson raised his prices last January.
    WC20755B_450.JPG

Specifications:
    5" Wilson Classic
    .45ACP
    Reverse Two Tone with Stainless slide and Baron Blue frame with Fire Blued small parts
    Bullet proof ambidextrous upgrade package
    Top of slide serrations
    Rear of slide checkered
    Speed Chute
    Hand engraved slide
    2 magazines

Wilson's Supergrade Master Pistolsmiths only built 5 of these guns.
    What makes it truly unique is that it comes with a set of Historic George Washington grips made from a Horse Chestnut tree that George Washington himself planted.
    Grips come with a letter of authenticity. The gun also comes with a set of Walnut grips mounted on the gun.
    List price $6375.95 SOLD!

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I was gun shopping today and found a new wilson combat 1911 .45 with a price tag of $7100. I did ask if that was a misprint. The young man assured me it was correct and went on to say that similar models have sold very well in the same ballpark on price. I'm all about charging a price that the market will bear. I believe in capitalism 100% but someone please help me understand what makes wc pistols worth that much. I have had several guns worked on by very qualified gunsmiths with outstanding result for many times less then the cost of this gun..someone please help me understand..I'm all ears..
    :dunno: a fool and his money are soon parted.
    I have fired a Wilson combat and was left very unimpressed. It felt like a bunch of small parts in my hand instead of single unit. It felt worse than the umarex regent 350 cr that I had ,but that pistol was worked on by Allenm, and he is a better Smith than Mr Wilson in my opinion.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I understand Wilson's track record and his popularity...

But I still don't "get" paying that much for what is, essentially, only a semi-custom firearm.

For a full-custom - sure. Knock yourself out.

I'm for sure not in his target market anyway.

-J-

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    While Wisons are good they are not THAT good or that much better. If that's what you like that's what you like but what strikes my about "most" that think they have to have a Wilson in 2 words is Prestige/Elitism. JMHO

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Why do people pay $200,000+ for a car, or $100,000+ when a $10,000 car will get them from point A to B just fine.

Same reason people buy a $10,000 or $5,000 1911 instead of a $1,000 1911.

Don't have the money? You likely won't see the point.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've never owned a Wilson, but am looking forward to owning one soon. It's been 22 months since I placed my order.

Think I'll give them a call and find out when that bad boy is supposed to show up. :)

Top Bottom