Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    For all the posts about getting vaccinated it is a odd juxtaposition that only 33% in the poll said they were getting it.
    You say that like it’s a betrayal or similar. I think if you took another poll now it might be more reflective of current sentiment. There was a lot of fear/uncertainty/doubt about it early on. Now that millions of people have been vaccinated and not millions of people dying from it, skepticism is waning. That’s showing in the national polling as well.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    You say that like it’s a betrayal or similar. I think if you took another poll now it might be more reflective of current sentiment. There was a lot of fear/uncertainty/doubt about it early on. Now that millions of people have been vaccinated and not millions of people dying from it, skepticism is waning. That’s showing in the national polling as well.
    Agreed. While I have said from the start that I would take the vaccine, I'm sure there are others whose views may have changed.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Wife and I have had both shots. Can't figure why anyone would not get them, I mean it's just a shot! In WWII I believe we had about 360,000 combat deaths. That's just shy of a four year period. So far with Covid, if we believe the numbers, we are over 500,000 deaths.
    Those aren’t necessarily all covid deaths. People who died with covid.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Just thought it odd that the vote was so different from the posts.

Thanks for helping me see how illogical people are, I wasn't accounting for that enough. I can tell you one thing a couple of months of millions being jabbed is not enough to determine if taking the chemicals into your body is safe...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    After 3 months of working in the coal mine joe knew black lung was just a fallacy...
    Well, maybe there are long term effects. Maybe not. That is still a concern. The mRna vaccines aren’t exactly new but they’re new in human use.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Well, maybe there are long term effects. Maybe not. That is still a concern. The mRna vaccines aren’t exactly new but they’re new in human use.
    Would suck to be an early adopter and find out there are long term effects.

Can't sue, hell probably won't be able to get quick treatment as there may be many with the same ailments...

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Just thought it odd that the vote was so different from the posts.

Thanks for helping me see how illogical people are, I wasn't accounting for that enough. I can tell you one thing a couple of months of millions being jabbed is not enough to determine if taking the chemicals into your body is safe...
    You state this as some sort of absolute truth... it is not. It is more about thresholds for people to make their own, individual decisions.

22,000 vaccinations - for some people, the phase 3 trial indicated the vaccine was "safe enough" for them to make their decision.

600,000 vaccinations - for other people, the Israeli report was "enough" people for them to decide it was "safe enough".

105 million+ shots - this is not just "millions", it's 10's of millions of people fully vaccinated and 10's of millions of people with the first of the two shots in their arms.

In you estimation, to be "logical", how many people will it take, and how long, in order to deem this safe against possible unknown long-term side effects? A year? 5 years? 10? 20?

Please explain your "logic" of what evidence is necessary to make a logical decision.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    As an additional thought to SheepDog's excellent post, I believe that 'age' plays a factor in the decision.
    At a few months away from 70 years old, I thought "why not get vaccinated" ?
    I'm only about 8 years away from the average age-of-death for an American male.

I was one of the people who originally checked the 'wait and see' choice in the poll.
    .... but frankly, at my age, what do I have to lose ?

Long term effects ??? My time is short, no matter what.
    With (2) shots of Pfizer already in my body, I'm feeling fine. :)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You state this as some sort of absolute truth... it is not. It is more about thresholds for people to make their own, individual decisions.

22,000 vaccinations - for some people, the phase 3 trial indicated the vaccine was "safe enough" for them to make their decision.

600,000 vaccinations - for other people, the Israeli report was "enough" people for them to decide it was "safe enough".

105 million+ shots - this is not just "millions", it's 10's of millions of people fully vaccinated and 10's of millions of people with the first of the two shots in their arms.

In you estimation, to be "logical", how many people will it take, and how long, in order to deem this safe against possible unknown long-term side effects? A year? 5 years? 10? 20?

Please explain your "logic" of what evidence is necessary to make a logical decision.
    The first point is that the pandemic is not bad enough to warrant the injection of chemicals into humans.

While not anti-pharma drugs should be the last tool out of the drawer.

The illogic is voting that one was not taking the vaccine based on concern of its safety, then based on no real evidence, just that they have jabbed a bunch of people in a few months, changing ones mind.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As an additional thought to SheepDog's excellent post, I believe that 'age' plays a factor in the decision.
    At a few months away from 70 years old, I thought "why not get vaccinated" ?
    I'm only about 8 years away from the average age-of-death for an American male.

I was one of the people who originally checked the 'wait and see' choice in the poll.
    .... but frankly, at my age, what do I have to lose ?

Long term effects ??? My time is short, no matter what.
    With (2) shots of Pfizer already in my body, I'm feeling fine. :)
    I must have more to live for than many others...

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The first point is that the pandemic is not bad enough to warrant the injection of chemicals into humans. In your opinion.

I have real health issues and a dose of Covid is almost certainly fatal. So for me the choice is to protect myself with the best available to me. Everyone should way the benefits to them when making the decision. I'm not to concerned with everyone else's opinion on if I should get it or not. The only reason I'm still alive is because of advancements in medicine.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    The first point is that the pandemic is not bad enough to warrant the injection of chemicals into humans.

While not anti-pharma drugs should be the last tool out of the drawer.

The illogic is voting that one was not taking the vaccine based on concern of its safety, then based on no real evidence, just that they have jabbed a bunch of people in a few months, changing ones mind.
    I can only speak for myself, I voted unsure because I wanted to see if there were any immediate/near-term issues not uncovered by the Phase 3 trial. Again, for me, the numbers were reassuring as was the fact that four close family members were on the first list and got their first jabs in December... some the first day or two Pfizer was available.

I'm just guessing that many of the "unsures" were similar and would welcome anyone who was initially unsure that either remains unsure or changed their mind to outright "No" to add to the discussion if they are willing.

ETA: Ditto anyone that went from No to Yes or vice versa.

Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    I get my first vaccine Wednesday! I am so grateful my turn has finally come.

Let? The pressure to keep schools shut down (where they are) is coming from the teachers' own union. Teachers should turn their ire to their own "representation". I have friends involved in administration various places and, frankly, they preferred in-person classes even with the preventative measures hassles. There were going to be massive hassles either way. Some are back to in-person.

Where they are not, it is my impression that it is not the administration and not the rank and file teachers, though there will always be some (and parents) who are frightened out of their minds despite the fact that the best information shows that in-person instruction can be done without increased spread.

Nope, by and large it is the unions.
    I work in Public Education and the complexities of coming back isn’t dulled down simply to “Unions.” More like, the teachers have had to deal with a lot of crap this school year with no regard to their health, workload, or compensation. And because they have representation, they’re using it.

I am a non-union worker and this school year has been hell. And working intimately with the teachers, their jobs’ this year have been even worse. And that’s saying a lot, as my

The matter is shades of grey, not black and white. Some Districts are different than others; there is no “one size fits all” or singular element to place blame on (not Unions, Admin, Janitorial, whomever you feel like singling out).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom