Not open for further replies.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I'm kind of split on these "vaccine lotteries".

On one hand, they're a gratuitous waste of taxpayers money. by bribing the populace.

On the other hand, studies show that those who are hesitant can be swayed... psychological studies on overestimating rewards and all that ... so if it gets more people to get vaccinated quicker, and then rejoin the workforce; the benefits offset the seemingly frivolous expenditure.

The older I get, the more I realize that you have to accept cognitive biases, like the ones at play here, and just use them to get what you want.
    Of course, anyone moderately intelligent looks at something like this as being completely dumb.

You are also no Thomas Jefferson or Thomas Paine.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think people may just think I’m an a**, and sometimes I don’t say stuff right, but I just want the truth.
    iu

;)

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I saw it the first time and didn’t know whether to like it or not.....just. can’t. figure. it. out. Remember that the commercial was hilarious though. I see three choices but she’s saying both, I will say judging by her skin color she is probably better at math than me (never bet against the Asians) and I don’t know which two you are picking, if you are hating or not.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I saw it the first time and didn’t know whether to like it or not.....just. can’t. figure. it. out. Remember that the commercial was hilarious though. I see three choices but she’s saying both, I will say judging by her skin color she is probably better at math than me (never bet against the Asians) and I don’t know which two you are picking, if you are hating or not.
    My post was still showing as not posted yet, so I couldn't remember if I posted it last night or not. But my browser was acting funky when I started it up this morning.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Hold on we were talking about government lockdowns during a pandemic, not anything else you mentioned in this post.

Also simply pointing out that many said the mask mandates and lockdowns would never go away once the government tasted that level of control...but...they are...

So is he a totalitarian or not?

I'm not calling him a moderate. I'm not saying I like his policy. But...a dictator leading us into total communism one face mask at a time? Nah, he isn't that spry.
    You have succeeded to nail how we see things differently. The root cause of disagreement, as I see it.
    Many of us on here see all that stuff connected, deeply connected, coming from the same source with the same root motivation.
    Man, you have no idea how much I hate sounding like a conspiracy theorist.

Moreover, many may take the cynical view and think we are just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Lift the restrictions a little, dangle a carrot, and slap the people with something else. Have you ever known the govt to give anything up once they have it in their clutches? More cynicism I guess. But I, and I’m willing to bet many on here, think it’s warranted.
    Obviously our frail little weak minded president isn’t leading us into total communism. It should also be obvious that he isn’t leading us anywhere at all, but someone sure is. So if someone’s running the joint but we really don’t know who, we also don’t really know the motivation behind the policies relevant to this thread. And we sure can’t trust them to speak the truth.

/rmble

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    My post was still showing as not posted yet, so I couldn't remember if I posted it last night or not. But my browser was acting funky when I started it up this morning.
    Gotcha. 2707, right after mine that you quoted.
    Am I supposed to be offended, or have I offended you with comments? Or is it a complement? Either way it’s funny, I just want to know if I’m supposed to laugh along with you guys or just stay in the shadows...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Gotcha. 2707, right after mine that you quoted.
    Am I supposed to be offended, or have I offended you with comments? Or is it a complement? Either way it’s funny, I just want to know if I’m supposed to laugh along with you guys or just stay in the shadows...

Oh no, I was just teasing because you said that sometimes people think you're an ass, but you just want the truth. That was the "both" that I was getting at (in fun - I don't think you're an ass). :):

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    You have succeeded to nail how we see things differently. The root cause of disagreement, as I see it.
    Many of us on here see all that stuff connected, deeply connected, coming from the same source with the same root motivation.

Moreover, many may take the cynical view and think we are just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Lift the restrictions a little, dangle a carrot, and slap the people with something else. Have you ever known the govt to give anything up once they have it in their clutches? More cynicism I guess. But I, and I’m willing to bet many on here, think it’s warranted.
    Obviously our frail little weak minded president isn’t leading us into total communism. It should also be obvious that he isn’t leading us anywhere at all, but someone sure is. So if someone’s running the joint but we really don’t know who, we also don’t really know the motivation behind the policies relevant to this thread. And we sure can’t trust them to speak the truth.

/rmble
    So then the question is, what if the other shoe doesn't drop?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    So then the question is, what if the other shoe doesn't drop?
    Well, sure, that’s the risk of being a conspiracy theorist, or cynical, or anywhere in between. I love being an optimist, it is my nature, but it’s not always warranted.
    Ya gotta place your bet. To not commit to a side is to just be someone that just goes along with the crowd, and whatever happens gets explained away. Conversely if a person commits they need to not let ego and prior commitment get in the way of resetting their compass when they’re wrong.
    I’m just betting the other shoe will drop, in some form.

What evidence do you see that says the way that this has been managed so far gives you confidence moving forward?

As a side note, I sure am glad we don’t have to pay that crazy income tax! Glad that went away when it was supposed to! And also, the surveillance state! Glad that’s not a thing!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

/rmble
    I think it's obvious to any casual observer that Democrats are doing all they can to eliminate opposition to their policies. Everything they do, it seems, appears to be for that purpose. It's how it appears to me. But, I am biased. I listen to some people on the left and I hear them saying the same things about Republicans. And when I hear that, I think, OMG, these people have no clue what they're talking about. It's not that I consider myself a Republican, it's that Republicans are the de facto choice because Democrats are unhinged these days. But, are they all? Hearing what some of the democrats say makes me wonder, do I have no clue about them?

What I've arrived at as the working theory is that there are different factions of Democrats who have different goals. Progressive activists are very dangerous to the country. Establishment Democrats are very dangerous to the country. Liberals? Those are people who like the social safety nets and other social programs, are a little more collective minded than me, but still have an individualist balance. I look at them as sane potential allies against wokeness, because they see the problems with that too. A prime example of that kind of person would be Bret Weinstien. I'm sure everyone here knows who that is. He seems to have come out of his TDS of late.

The establishment and progressive activist Democrats have some overlap. Biden, for example, is an establishment Democrat. So is Nancy Pelosi. But they're also progressives. Not like the progressive activists. I think establishment D's are progressive in a pandering way. I suspect they might care more about growing big government for the bigger power that comes with. And to me the best explanation for their tactics they're trying to eliminate opposition to their big government/big power policies.

The activists and establishment don't really have the same motivation, but it looks to me like they have the same shared goal of eliminating opposition. Enemy of my enemy. Antifa are the useful idiots of establishment Democrats.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Not everybody in China is "rushing" to be vaccinated...

Its worth noting that anybody who tests positive for COVID in Hong Kong gets sent to a makeshift convalescence ward in the Asian World Expo Center - a bunch of cubicles with cots, zero privacy, terrible food, mandatory blood draws, etc.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Its worth noting that anybody who tests positive for COVID in Hong Kong gets sent to a makeshift convalescence ward in the Asian World Expo Center - a bunch of cubicles with cots, zero privacy, terrible food, mandatory blood draws, etc.

Oh. So basically Canada.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

So basically they turn them into regular communist China people. I hope it is temporary.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You are also no Thomas Jefferson or Thomas Paine.
    Sure. Only Thomas Jefferson and Tomas Paine were Tomas Jefferson and Thomas Paine. But at least Jefferson's convictions were tried in the fires of a Presidency of a fledgling nation, and results penned for all to see that sometimes reality overrides principles. Thomas Paine, however, was more like INGO wannabees in that he thought great thoughts but never really had to put them to work in a practical way. This isn't a knock on Thomas Paine. He was indeed a very smart, principled and great man. He just wasn't tested in practical ways Jefferson was, which tried his convictions. Both were great men. They're both still humans.

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    What IU is proposing is a violation of the Nuremberg Code. Why? Because the "vaccine" is experimental. It is not FDA approved; it is being administered under an EUA. One cannot use pressure, coercion, or reprisal to get someone to participate in or be part of a medical experiment. What about people who have had COVID and recovered? They have immunity that is robust, durable, and complete. It is unethical for a doctor to even administer it to someone who has had COVID. Why? Because such people were excluded from all clinical trials and therefore there is no evidence that it is either safe or effective when administered to such people.

No, the state can not make you take it!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom