• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Went over to the range at Wilber Wright today to sight in my 22 rifle.The 50 yard range was closed due to putting up a roof over it. I shot on the 25 yard range for awhile and then the guys working on the roof left so, I was able to get my rifle sighted after all. I'm glad to see with all the cuts the government is making that they can up grade the shooting ranges some. There is nothing better than being able to shoot in the shade and even in the rain.

Boz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Muncie
    That is so awesome I can't even stand it. I use that shooting range almost exclusively. I can't even count the number of times I left that range with a sunburn on my face and neck. I can't wait to go check it out. Hopefully, they'll cover the 25 yard range too.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Went over to the range at Wilber Wright today to sight in my 22 rifle.The 50 yard range was closed due to putting up a roof over it. I shot on the 25 yard range for awhile and then the guys working on the roof left so, I was able to get my rifle sighted after all. I'm glad to see with all the cuts the government is making that they can up grade the shooting ranges some. There is nothing better than being able to shoot in the shade and even in the rain.
    It was great in the 80's too, until the posts were shot in half!!! I saw the posts in pics in a recent thread here.

Everything old is new again. Back then we use to set up under the roof and shoot Michael Jackson posters in any weather. The original Zombie. It is still a good idea 25 years later.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    They are going to cover the 25 yard range as well. I was out there last week in the rain and wished it was covered already. I hope it stays a free range. You know how rumors are.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I've heard the range officers at WW tell people to stand forward of the benchs if they want to shoot shorter distances... This only works if you are there alone and/or everybody agrees on a common firing line.

It sure would be nice to be able to setup a target stand short of the 25 yard line though.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I've heard the range officers at WW tell people to stand forward of the benchs if they want to shoot shorter distances... This only works if you are there alone and/or everybody agrees on a common firing line.

It sure would be nice to be able to setup a target stand short of the 25 yard line though.

Yes that is true...when I've been there, the range masters are pretty relaxed as long as everyone on the firing line works among themselves on safety.

We all must agree to move up to the shorter distance and I have never experienced any unsafe practices while there.

They have never stopped the firing line while I've been there. When someone needs to put up a target or go to check their shots, everyone on the line will clear it with each other prior to doing so.
    As long as everyone is on the same page, safety remains a top priority.
    So far I have only been muzzle swept one time there, but it was from an air-soft rifle a young kid had that was broke down for reloading :)

I've been there the past 3 weekends and plan on going back again on Saturday. I will get some more pics and take some video too. :yesway:

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    ...and I have never experienced any unsafe practices while there.

So far I have only been muzzle swept one time there, but it was from an air-soft rifle a young kid had that was broke down for reloading :)

I've been muzzle swept, had guys handling their guns while I was down range, seen people cross the firing line during live fire... I really feel like I have to keep my eyes on the guys around me when I'm there... Now, I'm starting to recognize some of the regular guys out there and for the most part have no worries, but it seems like there is always that one guy or group of guys who's safety isn't quite up to snuff IMHO.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not gun range, but I went to Smock golf driving range. The older guy there is very pleasant. He might not be there any longer. I lined my kids up to drive balls. And he begins walking immediately in front of us. Not 15 feet out. I told the kids to 'HOLD UP!". To let him pass by. But he lingered in front of us, and motioned for us to continue swinging.

I was dumbstruck.

I still am after a couple of years. I really WISH I had it on video because it seems unbelievable. Like a candid camera episode.

Maybe he got a job at one of the state gun ranges?

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I don't think the DNR allows any mid-range shooting on any of their ranges.

I have asked that specific question to a range officer at WW. He said they were worried about bullets getting over the berm. Especially after what happened at the old 100 hard range. I don't see it happening at 25 yards but still have to follow their rules.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    I would have loved to go to WW this Sat. but I'm having to fix our AC unit. Contractors want $500 to replace a fried circuit board, one that I can get for less than $200 online and can swap out myself... I can sweat it out until the part arrives, thanks. :D

For all those that do go to WW this Sat. throw some lead down range for me! :yesway:

:ingo: :patriot: :shoot:

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    That's awesome, shooting under a roof! Can't wait to get out there. The 29th is our 29th anniversary, and family reunion. ATF, if you're going next weekend, you can shoot my Mosin carbines all you want.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    That's awesome, shooting under a roof! Can't wait to get out there. The 29th is our 29th anniversary, and family reunion. ATF, if you're going next weekend, you can shoot my Mosin carbines all you want.

Thanks, but since you let me shoot yours last time, I got an M44 myself from Bradis...just an awesome blast.

Everytime it goes BOOM, it throws out a nice 2 foot fireball :rockwoot:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The couple of times I got lucky at Wilber Wright and there were no other shooters on the 25 yard range, the guy in charge had no problem letting my daughter and myself shoot at any distance we chose. It is tough when there are different shooters wanting different things, so I understand when they say 25 yards is manditory.

Nice to know all the deer tags and hunting permits have allowed them to build a cover over our so far free range!

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    The couple of times I got lucky at Wilber Wright and there were no other shooters on the 25 yard range, the guy in charge had no problem letting my daughter and myself shoot at any distance we chose. It is tough when there are different shooters wanting different things, so I understand when they say 25 yards is manditory.

Nice to know all the deer tags and hunting permits have allowed them to build a cover over our so far free range!

The DNR guy said all of that material was wood they recycled from other parts of the park...so it is just labor involved in the cost.:yesway:

Top Bottom