Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    "Man's got to know his limitations"

You should probably try reading the thread

All I see as proposed solutions is:
    Don't ride on busy roads

Don't ride on country roads

NEVER ride two up, even if first at the light. Car people should be allowed to come up alongside you to get a jump on the light - you know, the same thing they whinge about if bicycles do it

Pull over as soon as a couple of cars get behind you, even if they make no effort to use the legal methods to get around

Roads are built for cars, you're just here on sufferance

"Get off the streets!" (Nod to The Clash)

Somehow, from where I sit, it doesn't seem like the cyclists are the ones who believe
    "everyone is expected to conform to your ideas"
    There's always one way to find out.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have criticized several cyclist in this thread. So have the other riders. That is just untrue. Like I said you guys sound just like the anti-gunners, use the same type of language…
    Mike, no amount of doing what they 'say' they want will ever satisfy them. After all, their biggest complaint is costing them a few seconds occasionally and not doing a foot down stop at stop signs, and you've seen how they take that ball and run with it toward the 'cyclists are dangerous maniacs who should be banned off of my roads" end zone

They don't want solutions or discussion, they want capitulation - and I doubt even that will satisfy them in the end. Notice how they can't tolerate even one or two posters defending cycling and suggest that part of the conversation needs to move elsewhere so they can have their echo chamber back

Show us on the doll where the cyclists hurt you, guys

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    They don't want solutions or discussion, they want capitulation - and I doubt even that will satisfy them in the end. Notice how they can't tolerate even one or two posters defending cycling and suggest that part of the conversation needs to move elsewhere so they can have their echo chamber back

That's the abortion thread.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I think it was started, because of a picture in the funny picture thread.

Because people get tired of the "fringe" cyclists that "own" the roads.

Since then, it has veered all over, from both sides.

We've had threads about car drivers.
    Why not restart one of them?
    Or make a new thread?
    Pretty sure.. most of the people would have stuff to say about the bad car drivers also.

People passing in the breakdown lane
    People zipping ahead, knowing their lane ends, but just passing everyone, then expecting to get let in.
    People on cell phones
    People drunk/buzzed.
    People zooming across multiple lanes because they don't want to miss their exit.
    People driving distracted. Reading a book. Applying make up. etc
    People "brake checking".

And so on
    I think the problem is "people" . Always has been, always will be.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think it was started, because of a picture in the funny picture thread.

Because people get tired of the "fringe" cyclists that "own" the roads.
    Actually this is 180 degrees off. It was those that believe bicycles should not be on roads, or some roads, should get out of motors vehicles way, or that bikes are a second class users.

All cyclists have said is they have a legal right to use the road, just as all other permitted users, explained that the law requires 3 feet of clearance for motor vehicles to pass bicycles, they do not have to get off the road for motor vehicles, they should ride as far right as practicable but are not required to ride in the white line. None of that is unreasonable.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It is enough for the purpose of discussion - at least, for anyone making a sincere, good-faith effort at dialogue on the topic.

You're still arguing a straw man. @jamil is not arguing that. I'm not arguing that.

How long of a line is too long, in your opinion? At what point should a cyclist reasonably "sharing the road" yield to said line?
    I can only speak for myself and must add the caveat that the particular road configuration plays a big part in the decision, but in situations where cars cannot pass and I would have to actually stop to let them by I would do so when three are behind. That is what i was taught when I was moving farm equipment back in the day, so it seems reasonable.

So a cyclist commutes 10 miles on a road between towns to work all summer, how often should that cyclist have to get off the road to let cars pass?

And why is it only the cyclist that gets to determine when that is?
    The lead vehicle gets to set the conditions and the law says as is “practicable“. Do you get to control the speed of another vehicle in front of you if they want to go 45 mph in a 60 mph? Do they have to get over for cars behind them?

You're merely reinforcing the inference that drivers bear 100% of responsibility and burden, and cyclists bear neither.
    All permitted users bear 100% responsibility for themselves. An explanation of some techniques for defensive bike riding was met with derision not seen in the safe motorcycle driving, and yes, not being visually lost to motorists by being out a little in the lane is one of them. Unless a lane if 16 feet, the vehicle will have to cross the center line yielding to oncoming traffic.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Mike, no amount of doing what they 'say' they want will ever satisfy them. After all, their biggest complaint is costing them a few seconds occasionally and not doing a foot down stop at stop signs, and you've seen how they take that ball and run with it toward the 'cyclists are dangerous maniacs who should be banned off of my roads" end zone

You finally understand me.

AS to the doll. Look at the right wrist, there you will see a watch. On that watch is a stop watch counter. That counter is started everytime a cyclist holds me up.

So far cyclists have cost me 55 days, 22 hours, 10 min and 14 er 15 er 16 sec. Finally that dude got over.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Mine is 911
    Kept trying your number...lots of hunks showed up, but not you.

My phone number works around the world.

According to these nice gentleman on either side of me, yours only works in one county.??...and apparently not mine...and yes I know you are a big shot now so I did keep asking to see their supervisor.

Anyway that cavity search was like beyond my wildest dreams....they could have found the brain in a cyclist.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    642fa7b0c1241.jpeg

Top Bottom