• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    His focus is (mostly) correct, especially in the videos he makes himself.

His abilities to achieve his goals in the political arena are more than suspect, they are non-existent. POTUS is not a position amenable to on-the-job training.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Clearly, it's been a long winding road with more than a few switchbacks:

[video=youtube;zitZGDJcHAU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zitZGDJcHAU[/video]

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    His focus is (mostly) correct, especially in the videos he makes himself.

His abilities to achieve his goals in the political arena are more than suspect, they are non-existent. POTUS is not a position amenable to on-the-job training.

I'd prefer to have someone in that office willing to try rather than spending time dividing the country along racial lines, bickering about which potty the confused people should get to use and attempting to make the current deficit look like a drop in the bucket once they're done with their expanded entitlement programs.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    .... attempting to make the current deficit look like a drop in the bucket once they're done with their expanded entitlement programs.

The deficit is where I am most concerned about Trump. All of his real estate money was made with leverage - financing the projects with huge amounts of debt. That's why he so often re-negotiated loans to avoid bankruptcy.

That is what he knows how to do and there is every reason to believe he will revert to that to finance the things he is promising, that we really can't afford. Like walls. And people on those walls.

ETA:
    I do not mean to single out Trump for the real estate debt issue. Not at all. That is how real estate development works. That isn't a character flaw or anything - those are revealed in other contexts. My point is that it is the world he knows, the world he is most familiar with.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    The deficit is where I am most concerned about Trump. All of his real estate money was made with leverage - financing the projects with huge amounts of debt. That's why he so often re-negotiated loans to avoid bankruptcy.

That is what he knows how to do and there is every reason to believe he will revert to that to finance the things he is promising, that we really can't afford. Like walls. And people on those walls.

ETA:
    I do not mean to single out Trump for the real estate debt issue. Not at all. That is how real estate development works. That isn't a character flaw or anything - those are revealed in other contexts. My point is that it is the world he knows, the world he is most familiar with.

I assume you didn't watch the video wherein he's addressed debt and deficits?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We can afford a wall and the people to man it. What we can't afford is to continue providing endless reasons for people to come here illegally. We can't afford to keep providing people who refuse to work thousands of dollars a month in free ****. We can't afford "free" healthcare. We can't afford to continue getting screwed by every major country in the planet. Building a wall is nothing in comparison.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I assume you didn't watch the video wherein he's addressed debt and deficits?

Awkward assumption. The two are not mutually exclusive. :) I can watch the video and still believe that his paradigm is to borrow his way to greatness.

On a related note, the numbers he uses are basically made up.

We can afford a wall and the people to man it.
    According only to Trump. In one of the other threads, practical questions were raised about how to pay for it. The short form is that even Trump says that it would be over time. So, do we borrow money to build it now and pay ourselves back from money we take from Americans sending money to Mexico, or do we wait until we have enough to build it (which would probably not be in the first term).

That's just a representative example involving his lynchpin policy. He has no practical way of doing any of the things he says. At least none that I've heard.

illegally. We can't afford to keep providing people who refuse to work thousands of dollars a month in free ****. We can't afford "free" healthcare.
    Which, BTW, Trump is in favor of. He's against Obamacare, but for everything Obamacare tried to accomplish.

We can't afford to continue getting screwed by every major country in the planet. Building a wall is nothing in comparison.
    Oh my. Foreign policy. The land where Trump is truly ignorant. Dangerously ignorant. We probably don't want the conversation to move in that direction.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    We can afford a wall and the people to man it. What we can't afford is to continue providing endless reasons for people to come here illegally. We can't afford to keep providing people who refuse to work thousands of dollars a month in free ****. We can't afford "free" healthcare. We can't afford to continue getting screwed by every major country in the planet. Building a wall is nothing in comparison.

And why can we not afford these anymore? Let's follow the money.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That doesn't change my stance. Things could always be worse, I choose not to voluntarily make them that way by voting for another career politician.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    That doesn't change my stance. Things could always be worse, I choose not to voluntarily make them that way by voting for another career politician.

I'm not quite sure why you call Cruz a career politician. He has been a politician for what 2 years now? Yes the majority of his working career has been in public service/govt employ, but can't the same be said about you? No snark or insult intended, just making a point.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    He comes across like a career politician. I honestly haven't looked into his background much, he shut me down pretty quickly when I started listening to him.

I've served for the public since I was 17 but I'm not trying to get elected. ;) That's never been a goal of mine.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Open borders. Yes, that makes perfect sense. We should just allow anyone who wants to walk across do so at their leisure. I guess the LP is that desperate for votes? With that crap, if they pull any it'll from the Dems which is fine by me.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Open borders. Yes, that makes perfect sense. We should just allow anyone who wants to walk across do so at their leisure. I guess the LP is that desperate for votes? With that crap, if they pull any it'll from the Dems which is fine by me.

I don't see how it's ideologically consistent with the support of private property rights which is what I thought the LP was all about. Does that mean I should let any Tom, Dick, or Harry walk across my lawn, use the tools in my garage, swim in my pool?

Top Bottom