• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Trump is the savior for the republican party.

He's the wake up call that it's time to start winning elections instead of gaming the process and purposefully losing. Hopefully we'll shed the dead weight that wants to wallow in self pitty and take on a new generation that realizes the republicans actually have a backbone again.

What are its new values, principles, and positions? Bombast, threats, cult of personality, and triangulation is not back bone. At best, it's populism. If that's the new republican party, I really will be done with them.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    What are its new values, principles, and positions? Bombast, threats, cult of personality, and triangulation is not back bone. At best, it's populism. If that's the new republican party, I really will be done with them.

You have to achieve a following to have any political influence in a democratic system.

Populism wins elections. Feed them something they understand, speak on their level, but implement smart policy. That's the best course of action.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    By "using the establishment for business advantage", do you mean what other people would call "corruption"?

No, that's called playing by the rules the Establishment created. I learned on INGO that Teh Rulez are sacrosanct, and that playing by them is wholly appropriate - at least, if you're Ted Cruz.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It's called standing up and fighting, hard, every single day.

Slinging the dookie is the most effective means to fight with at the current time to win/sway the VAST MAJORITY of voters. And this same process will see hillary decimated in a landslide, just like all the rest he's already shut down.

The average voter doesn't care about intricate policy positions. They care about who demonstrates strength, charisma, and that they feel they might be able to relate to/be included with.

If it was more effective to talk over people's heads detailing endless policy intricacies, that's exactly what he would be doing. Blame the voters, not him, for the fact that this is how the world works today. He's over 50% support now.

That entirely depends on if the republicans decide to focus on defeating hillary or trying to get revenge on Trump.
    Fighting hard? Again, he sounds like a juvenile taunting another kid. Attacking the way an opponent eats or looks? Seriously?

I remember hearing when I was younger that TV was geared towards a 12 year old mentality. If this is what makes a strong candidate, I guess that is about the right target for this country then. Pretty sad if you ask me. I want an adult as President.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That entirely depends on if the republicans decide to focus on defeating hillary or trying to get revenge on Trump.
    Or decide not to compromise their principles. For me, it isn't about revenge, it is refusing to choose between the worst option or the second worst option.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Trump is the savior for the republican party.

He's the wake up call that it's time to start winning elections instead of gaming the process and purposefully losing. Hopefully we'll shed the dead weight that wants to wallow in self pitty and take on a new generation that realizes the republicans actually have a backbone again.

Wait. Is this a reverse-Godwin law reference? How meta.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    No, that's called playing by the rules the Establishment created. I learned on INGO that Teh Rulez are sacrosanct, and that playing by them is wholly appropriate - at least, if you're Ted Cruz.

I think Trump's done a masterful job of winning by the rules. My problem is when he complains about the rules favoring someone else, when his complaints are usually based in his ignorance of the rules.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think Trump's done a masterful job of winning by the rules. My problem is when he complains about the rules favoring someone else, when his complaints are usually based in his ignorance of the rules.

Hardly a peep when Trump wins only 50-60% of the vote but gets 90% of the candidates. If it were the other way around, you could hear it now: How is that fair? The system's rigged! The voice of the people are not being heard!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You have to achieve a following to have any political influence in a democratic system.

Populism wins elections. Feed them something they understand, speak on their level, but implement smart policy. That's the best course of action.

Wow...

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Hardly a peep when Trump wins only 50-60% of the vote but gets 90% of the candidates. If it were the other way around, you could hear it now: How is that fair? The system's rigged! The voice of the people are not being heard!

Actually, most complaints involve non-voting means of determining delegates. The caucus system is arcane, obsolete, and unnecessary - as is the process of direct election of delegates, when intentionally and unnecessarily hiding the affiliation of those delegates, such as with the PA republican primary. When such processes result in the delegation contradicting the intent of the voters, complaints are valid.

Winner-take-all primaries are a different matter entirely, and perfectly acceptable (again: that's exactly how the Electoral College works). Did you hear many Trump supporters complaining about Ohio?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Actually, most complaints involve non-voting means of determining delegates. The caucus system is arcane, obsolete, and unnecessary - as is the process of direct election of delegates, when intentionally and unnecessarily hiding the affiliation of those delegates, such as with the PA republican primary. When such processes result in the delegation contradicting the intent of the voters, complaints are valid.

Winner-take-all primaries are a different matter entirely, and perfectly acceptable (again: that's exactly how the Electoral College works). Did you hear many Trump supporters complaining about Ohio?

Understood. When the rules work in your favor, it's tougher to find fault in them. When they don't and the other guy is enjoying the results, it's rigged and they're cheating. I understand.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    [video=youtube;OtKLGosZ4J0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtKLGosZ4J0[/video]

"...this is why, across the country, we have run-off elections..."

Which, of course, explains why George H.W. Bush won a second term in 1992. Oh, wait...

Where are these "run-off elections" all across the country? Oh, that's right: we don't actually hold those, almost anywhere.

Donald Trump, without question, has the greatest claim to having the "will of the people". If a majority of people don't support him, then super-majorities of people don't support Cruz and Kasich.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Understood. When the rules work in your favor, it's tougher to find fault in them. When they don't and the other guy is enjoying the results, it's rigged and they're cheating. I understand.

It has nothing to do with rules working in or against someone's favor, and you well-know that wasn't the argument I made.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It has nothing to do with rules working in or against someone's favor, and you well-know that wasn't the argument I made.

I know people think a primary is some constitutionally protected and sacred vote. But we have to understand a political party is a property. Its leadership has to look after the best interests of its organization. And they build in those rules as checks and balances. They'll have to live with the consequences. So will the rest of us. I know Trump is smart enough to have known this was all part of the game. He's playing his role well in playing up these perceived acts of disenfranchisement...I don't blame him. If I were winning by winning (in most of the primaries) a minority of the vote, I'd be making a big deal out of it too.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

Trump has won most of the primaries, and Cruz has won most of the caucuses. Same thing has happened in the Democratic Party. Why is this so? It's not a problem limited to the GOP. So which one more closely reflects the will of the voters? In my opinion, the primaries more closely reflect the general election, and they should be used in all 50 states simply because of that.

I realize that Hillary could have won the nomination already under this system instead of getting her money's worth fighting Bernie, but you can't argue that caucuses reflect the will of the voters better than a primary.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Trump has won most of the primaries, and Cruz has won most of the caucuses. Same thing has happened in the Democratic Party. Why is this so? It's not a problem limited to the GOP. So which one more closely reflects the will of the voters? In my opinion, the primaries more closely reflect the general election, and they should be used in all 50 states simply because of that.

Do you think Congress should pass a law telling the parties how to select their candidates?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    No. It is logical to do primaries instead of caucuses. Logic escapes major party leadership more times than it should though.

No, it doesn't escape them. The system is the way it is, intentionally. That's the primary (pun intended) reason that I want Trump to defeat the system.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom