• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I was recently reading the thread M&P vs Glock, Which do you prefer? And it made me think, for a striker fired gun it is really hard to beat a PPQ.

So the question came to mind, Why doesn't everyone own a PPQ?
    It has hands down the best trigger of any polymer striker fired gun on the market. Super ergonomics, very accurate, high quality and reliable. So why then is not everyone jumping on the PPQ?

I can only think of two reasons:

First they are hard to find, attesting to their popularity. (or maybe the lack of importing by Walther)
    Second brand loyalty. Some might be fixed on this brand or that brand.

Walther's are proven reliable guns. Walther even has even set up a US based presence, having severed their ties to S&W. Walther Arms

Cost is close to Gen 4 Glock or as I have seen, cheaper. Slightly more than a S&W M&P. But you are paying for a higher quality gun, IMHO.

Perhaps some don't realize that just for the US market, Walther created the M2 version with a button mag release, one we are all familiar with. You can still get the original M1 paddle mag release version on special runs.

The PPQ comes in two barrel lengths, 4 and 5 inch. The five inch has a lightened slide like the Glock 34 but with a much better trigger and I believe more accurate.

For those of you that have never shot a PPQ, do yourself a favor and get a hold of one and shoot it. You just might become a convert.

Anyone want to bring up any points that keep them from obtaining a PPQ?

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    The main reason's i didnt get a ppq over my m&p is because it was just too small and curvy for my hand. I felt my hand was a bit cramped on the grip.

Also, I would argue that the xd has the best trigger. But that alone was not a selling point for me to get one

I'm not nearly as experienced, so those are the only facts I can argue as an opinion for myself.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The main reason's i didnt get a ppq over my m&p is because it was just too small and curvy for my hand. I felt my hand was a bit cramped on the grip.

Also, I would argue that the xd has the best trigger. But that alone was not a selling point for me to get one

I'm not nearly as experienced, so those are the only facts I can argue as an opinion for myself.

I don't know if you were aware but the PPQ comes with 3 interchangeable back straps like the M&P and Gen 4 Glocks. I am not that familiar with HK's but I have been told the grip is very similar to an HK. Grip, how if feels in ones hands is very important and one of the first things I look for when buying a handgun. For me the PPQ (in fact all the Walthers) have the most ergonomic grips available. But it is a matter of personal choice. I wonder how many don't like the feel of the PPQ?

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    I don't know if you were aware but the PPQ comes with 3 interchangeable back straps like the M&P and Gen 4 Glocks. I am not that familiar with HK's but I have been told the grip is very similar to an HK. Grip, how if feels in ones hands is very important and one of the first things I look for when buying a handgun. For me the PPQ (in fact all the Walthers) have the most ergonomic grips available. But it is a matter of personal choice. I wonder how many don't like the feel of the PPQ?

I was not familiar with that fact. I was under the impression that all the walthers had very thin grips that curved backward. I dont have large hands, but I just didnt find it as comfortable as the m&p. But I'd definately take it over a glock's large protruding grip.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Mags are EXPENSIVE! I had the PPQ a year ago and spare mags were $60-$80 each. Plus spare parts were non-existent. I also believe S&W service is sub-par. Glock armours are everywhere and a spare mag is $20-$25, not to mention parts availability and compatibility.
    PPQ has superior trigger and ergos, but that wasn't enough for me. A higher bore axis and the parts issue did me in.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why doesn't everyone own a Walther PPQ?

Quick, name a movie featuring a Walther PPQ!

People buy guns based on what they see in movies. Heck, we have a 217 page thread on Smith M&P after Avengers came out.

Did you read the Glock book? How did Glock get popular? By putting Glocks in movies and TV. Glock did the smart thing and sold guns with strippers and money in envelopes, the old fashion way.

You want to sell more Walther PPQs? Find the key Second Unit Directors (the prop guys) in Hollywood. Get them liquored up, buy them strippers and lap dances.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    Quick, name a movie featuring a Walther PPQ!

People buy guns based on what they see in movies. Heck, we have a 217 page thread on Smith M&P after Avengers came out.

Did you read the Glock book? How did Glock get popular? By putting Glocks in movies and TV. Glock did the smart thing and sold guns with strippers and money in envelopes, the old fashion way.

You want to sell more Walther PPQs? Find the key Second Unit Directors (the prop guys) in Hollywood. Get them liquored up, buy them strippers and lap dances.

underworld.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mags are EXPENSIVE! I had the PPQ a year ago and spare mags were $60-$80 each. Plus spare parts were non-existent. I also believe S&W service is sub-par. Glock armours are everywhere and a spare mag is $20-$25, not to mention parts availability and compatibility.
    PPQ has superior trigger and ergos, but that wasn't enough for me. A higher bore axis and the parts issue did me in.

Walther brand magazines are $40 everywhere, you can substitute Magnum Research MR9 Eagle mags. They are exactly the same except they have a shinny blue body where the Walther have the Anti friction coating. They are both made by the same company and if were not for the markings you could not tell the difference between them. They go for about $30, cheaper if you buy more than one at a time.

As for service I have had excellent service. Service is a breeze now that Walther is set up in the US. I own 3 Walther's and only had a small problem with one. I bought a PPQ in Jan and it was missing the large back strap. I called Walther and they didn't even ask a single question, just sent me the part in a few days. It is much easier dealing with Walther direct than going though S&W. Everyone has their service stories. I have had bad service from both Ruger and Sig, but great service from Taurus and Walther. Just depends on who you talk to and if they are having a bad day or not.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Can't say why. I've never shot one. Anybody offering to let me shoot one of theirs? I'll bring the ammo.

I already let another INGOer shoot mine and he went out and bought a PPQ long slide. I am on the west side of Indy. If you are willing to meet me halfway on the south side at Indy Trading Post I will happy to let you shoot a PPQ, if you want I will bring a Walther P99c AS and a Walther PPS if you want to shoot them as well. PM me to set it up.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    A great deal of gun owners have established a carry gun and nothing is changing that for them. The majority are probably Glock owners. They are reliable, have a good reputation, and very rarely need service. I'm one of those guys who was looking for the best of all worlds. I wanted the size of the Glock 19, but comfortable in my hand, and doesn't need aftermarket trigger components to shoot well. There are probably what some would consider a better gun out there, but I also didn't want to spend H&K money on an EDC. I found all of that in the PPQ and whatever comes out after it will be a hard sell for me.

Top Bottom