Why does FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL need this ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    IMPD has one. As Denny stated, it formerly belonged to the Marion County Sheriff's Department. MCSD got it from the Lake County Sheriff's Department who didn't want it.

As Denny also stated, it was used the evening Deputy Jason Baker was killed. Seems his patrol car wasn't too effective at stopping the 7.62mm rounds that killed him. Shame on those silly SWAT guys for wanting access to something which could protect them from the "citizens" who were hell bent on murdering people that night.

That was over 10 years ago. In the past 10 years, has anyone in or near Indy seen it patrolling the streets or being utilized for "raids"? No? Hmmm.... I wonder if maybe they are utilized when needed or something, I mean, if we have one why wouldn't we be running over people's dogs with it?

But then again, as I've said before, not all SWAT teams are created equal.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    One case since 1963?:n00b:

Even if it was a 10,000 cases the police should not have it. I know it's federal play money and everyone likes to play with cool toys, but it is just beyond the pale of good government.

If they do not sell it then have EOD practice blowing into the next county.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    They have no armament. They are just armored vehicles. They do LOOK intimidating...kinda like black rifles...they LOOK intimidating as well.

IMPD has one. As Denny stated, it formerly belonged to the Marion County Sheriff's Department. MCSD got it from the Lake County Sheriff's Department who didn't want it.

As Denny also stated, it was used the evening Deputy Jason Baker was killed. Seems his patrol car wasn't too effective at stopping the 7.62mm rounds that killed him. Shame on those silly SWAT guys for wanting access to something which could protect them from the "citizens" who were hell bent on murdering people that night.

That was over 10 years ago. In the past 10 years, has anyone in or near Indy seen it patrolling the streets or being utilized for "raids"? No? Hmmm.... I wonder if maybe they are utilized when needed or something, I mean, if we have one why wouldn't we be running over people's dogs with it?

But then again, as I've said before, not all SWAT teams are created equal.
    There you guys go again throwing that silly logic crap around!!!
    If you don't stop stating facts and join in on the bashing you're gonna give this place a bad reputation.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Even if it was a 10,000 cases the police should not have it. I know it's federal play money and everyone likes to play with cool toys, but it is just beyond the pale of good government.

Says the man who is not tasked with facing the gunfire.

Perhaps we shouldn't be allowed body armor either? Does that scare the children as well? Maybe we should be limited to sling shots.

Or maybe, just maybe, things like this should be handled on an individual basis. If something like this is misused, I would expect the citizens of that community to show outrage and demand that it be stripped away. That is the way everyone wants to be treated, is it not?

It is complete idiocy for the gun grabbers to want to take away our firearms based on the actions of those who misuse them but it makes perfect sense to strip those who need "toys" for protection when they are willing to head into the gunfire. Got it.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    One case since 1963?:n00b:

If they do not sell it then have EOD practice blowing into the next county.

what difference does it make? If it helps them do their job, Im all for it. The original referenced in this post cost the tax payers of south flordia less than $2000. I fail to see what the issue is. Stay on the right side of the law and all you will see are pictures of it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Says the man who is not tasked with facing the gunfire.

Says the man that carries the tax pack for the police. It's heavy BTW.;)

The militarization of our police is terrifying and must stop. Infantry fighting vehicles are a good place to begin.

We can talk about abolishing SWAT in another thread.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Why should the police not have it? It sounds like they got the things for next to nothing, and I can't imagine it's eating up too much money in fuel or maintenance resources just sitting strategically around the state. Beyond paranoia and conspiracy theories, what is the harm in having it around in case of an incident like PS and phylodog are referring to? Do any of you not see the parallels in the argument you're making against this thing and the argument the Brady campaign uses against guns? "Well the police MIGHT misuse it so we shouldn't let them have it." That doesn't sound familiar to any of you? And what is this concern over the need for it? Obviously the department envisions some potential use for it. The ONLY valid concern I could see for having this thing is taxpayer cost, and that doesn't appear to be an issue here. I'd love to hear some others...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Stay on the right side of the law and all you will see are pictures of it.

The law makes mistakes. As we know, the law can change on the basis of one person's say.

The toys are cool and all but this militarization of our public servants must stop. Taking away their IFVs is a good place to start.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

The militarization of our police is terrifying and must stop. Infantry fighting vehicles are a good place to begin.

Well someone has to be willing to do what most will not. I apologize if the fact that there is a cost associated with it offends you. The vehicle we have like the one pictured in the OP cost the taxpayers of Indianapolis nothing. It was gifted to the city and completely rebuilt by a private citizen so that we could use it.

I won't be baited into a discussion about abolishing SWAT. Too much testosterone in such endeavors.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

Next thing the police will have BLACKHAWK HELICOPTERS to shoot at cars breaking the speed limit:D:laugh:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The law makes mistakes. As we know, the law can change on the basis of one person's say.

The toys are cool and all but this militarization of our public servants must stop. Taking away their IFVs is a good place to start.

Tell your clients to stop doing military style takeover robberies, home invasions, rapes, murders and drive by shootings and we'll fade into oblivion.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Why should the police not have it? It sounds like they got the things for next to nothing, and I can't imagine it's eating up too much money in fuel or maintenance resources just sitting strategically around the state. Beyond paranoia and conspiracy theories, what is the harm in having it around in case of an incident like PS and phylodog are referring to? Do any of you not see the parallels in the argument you're making against this thing and the argument the Brady campaign uses against guns? "Well the police MIGHT misuse it so we shouldn't let them have it." That doesn't sound familiar to any of you? And what is this concern over the need for it? Obviously the department envisions some potential use for it. The ONLY valid concern I could see for having this thing is taxpayer cost, and that doesn't appear to be an issue here. I'd love to hear some others...

All I want to say is NEW ORLEANS POLICE after HURRICANE WILMA;) BULLYING & ABUSE

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Do any of you not see the parallels in the argument you're making against this thing and the argument the Brady campaign uses against guns? "Well the police MIGHT misuse it so we shouldn't let them have it."

My rights cannot be affected by government.

The police work for us and we get to have a say in what they do and what they have.

I'd love to hear some others...

The militarization of our police. From playing dress up to their gear to their toys. Outside of the Third World, the police and the military have different roles. These roles should be preserved and defended.

Our Militarized Police Departments - Reason Magazine

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Tell your clients to stop doing military style takeover robberies, home invasions, rapes, murders and drive by shootings and we'll fade into oblivion.

Military style takeover robberies? Home invasions? In Tippecanoe County?

BTW, last week it was scrapping cooper and brass and no guns were drawn and no police dogs were injured. One was in the car and was merely mildly peeved. The dog, strangely, did not testify as it usually the prosecution's best witness (and a big sweetie).

All this violent rhetoric about stuff that does not happen??? Good grief, is it budget time again?

Another IFV, Chief?:laugh:

Top Bottom