• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I never carried one while I was in the Service; carried revolvers when the 1911 was the standard Army sidearm and carried an M9 when we finally got those. I've shot a 1911 exactly twice - both times before I'd had any formal handgun training - and didn't much like it (and this was before I'd even fired a revolver) nor could I hit the broad side of a target with it at close range on a combat course. That set my attitude (and the difficulty of using a standard 1911 as a left-hander).

My first most extensive handgun training was with a Glock and it works well for me. I've had 9mms, .40s&w, and now I've got a .45 and I'm happy with it. I see no reason to change out a 14-shot .45 for an 8-shot .45 that's heavier and has more controls to manipulate. But ya'll are more than welcome to as much Americana as you can stand.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    For the same reason peole like AK's. Because they are reliable, get the job done and have killed more NAZI's than any other pistol on the market. They say more is better, I agree, more power is better.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    A 1911 is what is symbolized when I hear someone say "a gun". It's a gunny gun.

Kind of like the OBS (Old Body Style) Ford Trucks... when I think of a trucky truck, I think of an OBS Ford truck.

Now that my analogy is out of the way...

It's just one of those purchases that many make to add to the collection.
    They're proven functional, they're beautiful and they're generally the go-to firearm for personal defense.

I'll say, a majority of people out there that can't afford to collect guns but rather have one or two for protection...
    Will usually have a more modernized weapon (think: Glock, M&P or any other plastic gun with a higher-capacity magazine).
    If you would ever or want to be a gun collector, just assume you'll add a 1911 in some fashion to your collection some day. It's required. :rockwoot:

That said, I love my Glock. I love my M&P. I love my sub-compact tiny pistols... but at the end of the day...
    NOTHING feels as manly, as powerful and as iconic as possessing a 1911.

Jeff

+1,000,000

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    J.M. Browning desinged the 1911 over a 100 years ago.
    It is the most copied handgun of all
    Now with Remington and Ruger making 1911s
    Most all major firearms companies make them now.
    Alot of things have been modified or even perfected
    and customized but the basic design is still the same!
    There has gotta be something to it!

Glennster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Why I love the 1911.
    1. It's MACHO!
    2. It's just cool to say ''I have a 45''
    3. The history of it.
    4. Great balance, it just feels right.
    5. Accuracy
    6. They just look fantastic

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    Why do people love the 1911 so much?

I can't figure it out. They don't interest me at all.
    They are like that old vintage car, sure it looks good but just not very practical.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

They are like that old vintage car, sure it looks good but just not very practical.

Really...........
    No slam or jamb. Personal choice and all. Is "practical" a weight issue, round count or something else....just curious.
    I own some nice plastic and they work well for me when I shoot them. Well, when I can get my kids to let me shoot them. They like the 1911's but seem to shoot the plastic a bit more. 1 Son carries officers size 1911.
    Just curious as to the statement.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

How are vintage cars not practical? Do they not get you from point A to point B anymore? Matter of fact, they are more practical, cause you dont have to hook them up to 1000 different computers and can tinker on them yourself.

Actually, pointed out that way, sounds just like a 1911. Still runs like a dream, still puts bullets on targets, and you can still tinker with them yourself. Are there nicer cars and pistols out there, depends on your perspective.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

This makes me curious. As someone who relies on the 1911 as his EDC and shot thousands of rounds out of them I am curious how you arrived at this opinion? Then again, if I am not carrying my 1911 I am carrying a 5-shot .38spl. I'm guessing that is even MORE impractical.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This makes me curious. As someone who relies on the 1911 as his EDC and shot thousands of rounds out of them I am curious how you arrived at this opinion? Then again, if I am not carrying my 1911 I am carrying a 5-shot .38spl. I'm guessing that is even MORE impractical.

I am known to carry a .44 Bull dog 5 shot snubby on occasion. Depends on the dress code. Very practical.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I always found it odd that my little Rossi was easier to conceal than my slimmer 1991A1 Compact.

The total package is smaller. The handle is short enough that I have to really get a grip to shot mine. Out past 15 yds. it does not "Group" per-say but I can ring a man sized target at that distance.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The main attraction to the 1911 I have is the custom work that goes into properly built ones. Hand fitted pieces of metal put together with tight tolerances and a perfect fit. I'm talking about the work only a true gunsmith can do.

Other than trigger and accuracy, modern "plastic" pistols have them beat for all intents and purposes. Larger mag capacity, WAY more reliable, much higher tolerances, lighter, less maintenace, etc etc.

daedrian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Brownsburg
    It's like the Zippo lighter. An iconic American design, produced in America. Rugged, reliable, and sleek. Elegant in it's simplicity. Just feels right when you hold it. Sure it's plastic counter parts might need less maintenance and refilling and take up less space, but they will never touch that tell tale noise that they make when you get them ready for use. A properly maintained piece will last forever, and can be handed down to your kids.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The main attraction to the 1911 I have is the custom work that goes into properly built ones. Hand fitted pieces of metal put together with tight tolerances and a perfect fit. I'm talking about the work only a true gunsmith can do.

Other than trigger and accuracy, modern "plastic" pistols have them beat for all intents and purposes. Larger mag capacity, WAY more reliable, much higher tolerances, lighter, less maintenace, etc etc.
    I'll give you the larger mag capacity but the rest isn't even debatable. A good 1911 is as dependable and accurate as any weapon ever designed or made.
    I've seen some that have trouble shooting a 1911 and usually it's the grip on the pistol or ammo (not counting some "average or sub-par" 1911s") but a good 1911 will be around forever when all the others have turned to dust.

Top Bottom