• Why do you shoot?

• Total voters

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    And since I have some milsurps, I do get a feeling of stewardship of history maintaining and using those... like somebody has to keep those WWII warbird fighters flying so future generations can experience what they were like beyond looking at pictures or a static display in a museum. ie. Looking at a Mosin M44 carbine doesn't say anything about the beating that the shooter takes from firing that damn thing, yet that's what it took to win WWII for the allies and defeat Nazism, fascism, and genocide.

Doesn't it send a chill up your spine when you handle a mosin from the early 40's?

The tooling is rough and as you run your fingers over the lines you can almost see the intensity in an old man's face as he turns out crates of them on his line. He could have made it cleaner, more perfect, but he had to turn out as many as possible today. The lives of everyone he knows might rest on his turning out one more rifle today.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    Will someone that chose option #5 (exercise your right, enjoy American freedoms) explain why you chose that answer? I don't disagree that it's our right/freedom but how does that answer apply over one of the other options?

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well I think you would have gotten different results if the poll allowed more than one reason - really most people I know enjoy and relax shooting with friends at either a range or backyard. But most of them carry handguns for self defense and have home defense weapons. Sure, practice is needed to maintain proficiency, but its also great fun. Most of the forum members here also feel it is great to exercise their 2nd amendment rights as well, while many who compete also feel strongly about ever issue above. While I do not compete in "formal" matches, I do shoot with family and friends in "friendly competitions", so I could have checked every box. (Been shooting for about 55 years).

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    yeager had a good vid on the different types of gun owners. everyones personal opinion of him not withstanding, it rang true. ill see if i can dig it up.

EDIT - here ya go [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcBi_gKUCy0[/ame]

Reapermaxx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I shoot for personal recreation with my family. Each of us have our own that we shoot while there. Also it is an excellent opportunity to teach my kids respect for firearms. It is also important to be prepared in the event that self defense is necessary. I prefer my family to know proper defense in the event the police fail to respond timely to any circumstance in which they are in danger which is likely in an emergency scenario.

chasinfire

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    NWI
    I used to shoot for recreation. It has become more of a self defense issue with the continuing trend of society, unfortunately. It has given me a reason to spend more time and money on shooting....the feel of my ar takes me back to simpler times when I was young in the army.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have been shooting for over 50 years, and have shot for all those reasons at one time or another, but for the last few years it's been family fun and recreation.

Dave

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I didn't check any because I do them all except for competition. I haven't been in competition in over twenty years.

So I would have to say yes to the rest. I do more shooting of paper than any thing. Then that is to prep for hunting and self defense most of the time.

Two weeks ago my son was here and we did some fun shooting.

Then I do some training of the wife. That is always fun. She just don't have the interest in it that I would like to see her have.

It would have been nice if we could have picked 1 2 3 and so on as to what we did the most of for the pole.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is interesting when someone brings one of these older threads back up front. If you go back and read what you posted to see if attitudes and such have changed. Ours has not. We actually have stepped up our personal shooting and lean more towards SA and SD.

Top Bottom