• ...and so much more!
  • Why do you shoot?

• Total voters

Blackout

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    I didnt see an "all of the above" option, lol. I love everything about shooting. Also, it relieves stress for me also, aint nothing like it.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    All the above also. All the polls out there skewing results has me gun shy to commit to a single option for fear I could lose the others.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I shoot to thrill....

play to kill
    Too many women too many pills
    Shoot to thrill, play to kill
    I got my gun at the ready gonna fire at will.

Now that I got that out of the way....
    Mostly for fun and protection/defensive readiness.

Edit: I almost forgot that I shoot to give tyrants something to think about.
    Excuse me...Gotta go answer that phone call from the NSA.

Last edited:

dontcha

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    For the same reason monkeys throw things. Humans all enjoy projectile "weapons", because it harkens back to when we NEEDED to take prey and injure those whom preyed (or tried to do so) upon us, when we were too weak/slow to prevail in personal combat, with our natural weapons, or handheld weapons.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Notice that the sum of all categories that might be considered "sporting use" (i.e. fun/recreation, competition, and hunting) is less than the majority.

This is comparable to the results of national surveys I've seen.

AND, it's a key demonstration of why hunting/sporting use must NEVER be a criteria by which we judge which firearms are legal and/or who may possess them.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    All of the above except hunting... maybe that will change one day, but right now hunting doesn't appeal to me much.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I wasnt aware that a man could survive without shooting...
    I spend most of my time shooting primarily to maintain a level pf proficiency with my carry gun(s), secondary to that, I do shoot to maintain familiarity with my hunting equipment, lastly, I do on ocassion shoot just because, and I like to hear the guns go bang. The only item on the list that isnt a reason for me is competition.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I shoot just because I love guns! I cannot remember ever NOT loving them? My mother has a picture of me at Christmas in 1964(2yrs old) opening up a toy M1 Garand with a BIG smile on my face.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Firearms have been a huge part of my life that my father introduced me to , I thank him as much as I can for this . Firearms cause me to read , learn and meet new interesting people . I shoot mainly because I like it and it relaxes me .

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Ummm.... I love the smell of spent gunpowder? I wouldn't say I'm addicted or anything like that. But,oh what a pleasant smell!!! :laugh:

In all seriousness, generally to keep sharp in my self defense & shooting skills. But, I do enjoy the occasional day of "perforation euphoria", where turnin targets into swiss cheese is just an absolute rush!:D

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I like to go to the range and shoot because I find it relaxing. That is my primary reason and why I voted Fun/recreation.

I also go to be proficient with the firearms I find I like to carry. I tend to practice most with those I carry most, like my SR9c, my LC9 and my LCP. I also tend to take along one of the other guns I like to carry now and then like my SP-101's in both .327 FM and .357 Mag or a Mdl 632 in .327 FM. For fun I sometimes take an NAA along too because I often carry one of those as a deep cover BUG. I practice my draw, shooting from my draw and shooting prone, shooting with my off hand, drawing a BUG with an off hand or strong hand and firing, reloading and all sorts of self defense related things while I am there too. It is easy since I am usually there alone when I go so safety issues are a bit easier to handle since I am alone there and I don't need to worry as much about the person next to me when doing these things. I say as much because I still don't want to send any lead zinging off in directions unintended despite the fact that where I shoot is essentially a pit and a stray shot wouldn't go far. I find that practicing safety all the time is the way to go even if the situation is inherently safe. :twocents:

However, there are also days I want to shoot only a rifle and then I take one or two of those and try to make nice tight groups all day with one of those. When I am able to get with Alan and finally afford a new scope or three for some other rifles I have, I will do this a lot more often. Then I will likely add another day to my usual two at the range per week just for rifles. :ar15:

I am not married or in a relationship so I am basically protecting just me. My family all lives far away from me in Florida. I do this because I think it is the right way to carry a handgun. I really don't want to shoot anyone, but I will if needed. If the situation winds up calling for it the very last thing I want to do is shoot someone in the crowd instead of the bad guy. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I shot the wrong person. So I try my best to practice such that I make this as unlikely as humanly possible.

Top Bottom