• Why do you shoot?

• Total voters

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm actually surprised that fun and recreation are leading this one. I knew it would be a front runner, but I thought it would fall behind "self-defense."

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm actually surprised that fun and recreation are leading this one. I knew it would be a front runner, but I thought it would fall behind "self-defense."

I often have to remind myself while posting that not everyone is interested in guns for the same reasons that I am.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I often have to remind myself while posting that not everyone is interested in guns for the same reasons that I am.
    Yeah, I've always noticed a slight change in my "taste" throughout the years but when the combination of that Yeager video and the FB discussion I had last week really made me think about it. I guess I sort of find it hard to believe that not everyone intends to use the gun for defense if need be, but hey...I don't care as long as we get them over to "the dark side." ;)

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    When I first started shooting it was strictly for fun. I would occasionally carry, usually to and from the range.
    Over the years I gradually started carrying more or at least having a gun in the car. Several years ago I sued for full custody of my son (he lived with me anyway). After you have two police officers come to your door warning me that a crime stoppers tipster stated that my son and I's lives are in danger, things changed a little. Except at work, a gun (handgun, rifle) is with me at ALL times.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Primarily it is gunpowder therapy. A day that I get some range time is always better than A day that I don't regardless of what else happens.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And the Zen thing.

I shoot both to hone defensive skills and for recreation. The poll was very explicit as to reasoning.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I like to shoot for fun but also to get better at self defense. The thing I like most about going to the range, is that when I am aiming at a target, the rest of the world disappears.

For me shooting requires concentration. When I am concentrating on the target, that's the only thought on my mind. So shooting is a good way to kind of reset the brain to forget about the BS of the day. I would shoot a lot more often if I had someone to clean my guns for me. :)

It's also a nice bonus when I get a good hit on the target. That always boosts my spirits.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

I am not surprised and am actually quite happy that fun and recreation leads. That means the American spirit is alive and well

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, I've always noticed a slight change in my "taste" throughout the years but when the combination of that Yeager video and the FB discussion I had last week really made me think about it. I guess I sort of find it hard to believe that not everyone intends to use the gun for defense if need be, but hey...I don't care as long as we get them over to "the dark side." ;)

We train. More than most. Not more than all as with anyone, time and expense. Son has 2 children now. Daughter has 1 and twins on the way. If we hit it hard ole dad is coughing up a lot of .45 ACP and .223. Throw in some 12 gauge and a day in the woods runs up a nice price tag.
    That said, we love to kill Coyote and Cardboard.
    Self defense is always a part of our routine.

ssblair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Elkhart County
    I wonder how many votes it would get if you were to add a vote option of "Because I can"?

I do shoot competitively, but to me that's just more sociable practice for readiness and exercise of our Rights. So I could really have voted for all of those options but 'hunting'?

And since I have some milsurps, I do get a feeling of stewardship of history maintaining and using those... like somebody has to keep those WWII warbird fighters flying so future generations can experience what they were like beyond looking at pictures or a static display in a museum. ie. Looking at a Mosin M44 carbine doesn't say anything about the beating that the shooter takes from firing that damn thing, yet that's what it took to win WWII for the allies and defeat Nazism, fascism, and genocide.

Kinda like "when men had hair on their chest and .22s were for shooting at dragonflies" or something...

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I understand that just about everyone here could easily check "all of the above" had it been a selection. I'm going to be using these numbers as part of some research however and I wanted clear/precise reasons. Also, even though we all have multiple reasons everyone seems to have one priority focus in mind when they think about or go shooting. THAT is what I'm after. Thanks for the input guys/gals.

Top Bottom