• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Hey everyone, forgive me if this topic has been beaten to death but I am fairly new to this community and just a curious person in general. I've seen OC discussed in several other threads and I'm just wondering about what peoples personal reasons are for doing it.

I grew up in Illinois and gun ownership was just never part of the dialogue in my family. So it's interesting to me to live in Indiana now, where the gun laws are less restricted. I didn't actually know you could carry in Indiana (open or concealed) until I became interested in purchasing and learning to shoot a gun (needless to say I was glad I didn't live in IL anymore). I've never actually seen anyone OC down here where I live. I probably would have been shocked, to be honest, if I didn't know what the laws were.

Which I guess leads me back to my topic question. For people that don't own/don't know how to use a gun, they are very intimidating I think. I have seen several posters talking about the persecution and knee-jerk reactions they've received when they OC. So why do you do it? I am just curious about peoples personal reasons, knowing that they may recieve a fair amount of flack for it from time to time.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Use the search function at the top of the site. It is your friend.

Also, look through the "carry issues and self-defense" sub-forum. I suggest starting here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lf_defense/71996-the_open_carry_argument.html

Personally, I OC because:
    1. It's more comfortable
    2. Faster access to my weapon should I need it
    3. Although it can't really be proven, it is a crime deterrent
    4. It sparks people's interest, so they ask you questions. If handled appropriately this provides an EXCELLENT opportunity to further educate them on guns, safety, laws regarding firearms and carry, and IME even provide opportunities to get some to the range and COMPLETELY change their opinion/outlook on firearms.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    1) More comfortable
    2) Easier access
    3) I don't need a special wardrobe
    4) Great conversation starter
    5) I don't need a reason

Remember, for every negative encounter posted on here, there are hundreds or thousands of neutral or positive encounters, and countless non-events (no one says a word).

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Because I like to get harassed by sheeple, kicked out of stores and businesses, and love to get detained by LE for violating their "law"

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Use the search function at the top of the site. It is your friend.

Also, look through the "carry issues and self-defense" sub-forum. I suggest starting here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lf_defense/71996-the_open_carry_argument.html

I'm familiar with the search button, I promise. And I had already read that topic you posted. But thanks for being so friendly and answering my question the way you did! Makes me feel all warm and welcome and fuzzy.

This is not intended to be an argument thread, anyway. Please forgive this poor misled soul if you're bored to tears with this question. It's all new to me and I'm very curious. I thought it might be a good way to start getting to know some of the community I'm interested in becoming a part of. If the moderators feel I've treaded on everyone with posting about a heavily debated topic they can hit me with the ban hammer.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    .01: BACON MAKETH ME DO IT
    1: I crave attention
    2: I am compensating for 'something'
    3: I enjoy scaring soccer moms
    4: I'm a dumb redneck
    5: John Wayne and Clint Eastwood are my heros
    6: I am looking for trouble
    7: I am trying to get arrested so I can sue for big bucks
    And finally...
    8: I want to be shot first in a robbery.

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm familiar with the search button, I promise. And I had already read that topic you posted. But thanks for being so friendly and answering my question the way you did! Makes me feel all warm and welcome and fuzzy.

This is not intended to be an argument thread, anyway. Please forgive this poor misled soul if you're bored to tears with this question. It's all new to me and I'm very curious. I thought it might be a good way to start getting to know some of the community I'm interested in becoming a part of. If the moderators feel I've treaded on everyone with posting about a heavily debated topic they can hit me with the ban hammer.
    I think I edited my post after your reply to it. Anyhow, I merely aimed to point out to you that you may have posted this question in the wrong sub-forum. Regardless, there is indeed a great amount of responsibility which goes with carrying a firearm. That responsibility only grows exponentially when choosing to OC. :twocents:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    1: I crave attention
    2: I am compensating for 'something'
    3: I enjoy scaring soccer moms
    4: I'm a dumb redneck
    5: John Wayne and Clint Eastwood are my heros
    6: I am looking for trouble
    7: I am trying to get arrested so I can sue for big bucks
    And finally...
    8: I want to be shot first in a robbery.
    That about sums you up :D

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    1) More comfortable
    2) Easier access
    3) I don't need a special wardrobe
    4) Great conversation starter
    5) I don't need a reason

Remember, for every negative encounter posted on here, there are hundreds or thousands of neutral or positive encounters, and countless non-events (no one says a word).

Ditto....

charles.wolff

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I do not consider myself an OCer or a CCer. The last thing I do prior to leaving the house is put on my holster with my sidearm. If it is chilly outside and I wear a jacket/coat then it is covered, if not them it is not covered.

I always tuck my shirts in and am more comfortable dressing that way, so I will not run around with my shirt untucked just to cover my sidearm and therefor would be considered an OCer by most here.

Not playing semantics, just telling it the way it is. My sidearm is an extension of myself and goes everywhere I go regardless of dress.

Top Bottom