Why Are So Many Still Against Hemp / Marijuana ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    So you think 900 people that took a survey in Washington are the majority?
    and I'm living in a bubble

as long as it supports your pet issue it must be accurate and to be sceptical of the result is putting fingers in my ears.

Thats how liberal, climate change, gun control, spending, ideas are furthered.

Without substantial foundation, just cherry picking what you like and reject all others.

I think your the one with fingers in your ears to push what you want in the face of opposition

You act like that's the only poll that's ever been done on the issue. Here's a site listing several of the polls that have been done in the last few months:

Illegal Drugs

Pew Research Center. Oct. 15-20, 2014. N=2,003 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 2.5.
    "Do you think the use of marijuana should be made legal, or not?"
    Yes, legalNo, illegalUnsure/
    Refused
    %%%
    10/15-20/14
    2/12-26/14
    3/13-17/13
    2/22 - 3/1/11
    3/10-14/10

Gallup Poll. Oct. 12-15, 2014. N=1,017 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 4.
    "Do you think the use of marijuana should be made legal, or not?"
    Yes, legalNo, illegalUnsure
    %%%
    10/12-15/14
    10/3-6/13
    11/26-29/12
    10/6-9/11
    10/7-10/10
    10/1-4/09
    10/13-16/05
    11/10-12/03
    8/3-5/01
    8/29 - 9/5/00
    8/28-30/95
    10/2-7/69

CBS News Poll. May 14-18, 2014. N=1,011 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.
    "Do you think that the use of marijuana should be legal, or not?"
    1/14 & earlier: "Do you think that the use of marijuana should be made legal, or not?"
    LegalNot legalUnsure/
    No answer
    %%%
    5/14-18/14
    Men
    Women
    18 to 29 years
    30 to 44
    45 to 64
    65 & older
    2/19-23/14
    Republicans
    Democrats
    Independents
    1/17-21/14
    Republicans
    Democrats
    Independents
    4/13

And those are only polls showing the growing support for full legalization. When you start looking at percentage favoring decrmininalization (dropping from an arrestable offense to ticketable ones), you see numbers significantly higher in favor:

4-2-14-12.png

What's interesting is that while this is happening, you have politicians like Mike Pence wanting to change Indiana law to make it a felony to possess as little as 1/3 of an ounce of marijuana (which is well in the personal possession territory). Currently Indiana law requires the person to be caught with huge amounts (pounds) before it reaches felony level.

Attachments

• 4-2-14-12.png
      4-2-14-12.png
      9.1 KB · Views: 2

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

It is not a straw-man. The same logic that justifies drug prohibition can easily justify gun prohibition.

Sometimes people do bad things when they use _____. We must prohibit _____ to prevent this.

Fill in the blank with guns, drugs, or all sorts of other things. The logic is the same. If we participate in prohibiting things that frighten us, it doesn't give us much room to argue when others want to prohibit things that frighten them.

You should really not bother arguing with him.

You're probably right.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Poll: Nearly half support legalization of marijuana - CBS News

47% for

5 Arguments Against Medical Marijuana | High Times

Citizens Against Legalizing Marijuana ? CALM » Blog Archive » Poll shows Californians AGAINST Legalizing Marijuana!

thats is just a couple of minutes on Google. We can trade all day but it's not worth the oxygen, you will not see anything that doesn't support your pet issue.
    so stick your fingers in your ears and repeat after me

im right la la la your wrong la la la I'm right cause is say so la la la

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

47% for

Citizens Against Legalizing Marijuana ? CALM » Blog Archive » Poll shows Californians AGAINST Legalizing Marijuana!

thats is just a couple of minutes on Google. We can trade all day but it's not worth the oxygen, you will not see anything that doesn't support your pet issue.

Your initial assertion:

you mean publicly elected morality police should appease a small minority that want legal pot.

Even your own sources put the numbers in the 40% range. This barely qualifies as a 'minority'. It certainly doesn't qualify as a 'small minority'.

You were wrong. It's not a 'small minority'. Just man up and admit it.

I don't even care how many people support it. This is about liberty. It's about whether we want the nanny state micromanaging our lives through police force. It's about how huge we want our government to become. You want to be micromanaged. You want huge government. Fine. Be prepared for the day when your micromanaging government sticks its nose in your gun safe.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg

47% for

Okay, just for the sake of argument, let's say 10 years from now when a decent chunk of those most heavily opposed (the 65+ crowd) have passed on from this mortal coil, and every single poll shows 60+% in favor of legalization, are you going to change your mind?

If the answer is "no", then why are you bother to engage in this nonsense. If you are so dead set in your opinion that it doesn't matter whether you are one of the super majority in agreement or one of the tiniest minority, then trading barbs about polls is pointless.

I'm just curious about your end game. The very arguments you are making are very easily turned right back on you (which is why I generally don't make arguments like that). Everyone has heard the old saw about there being "lies, damn lies, and statistics", so of course you can manipulate data however want. But the fact of the matter is that we now have 4 states that have outright legalized marijuana to one degree or another (plus DC), 23 states with legalized medical marijuana to one degree or another (and another 9 states with pending legislation working it's way through their respective political systems). That's all happened since California passed Prop 215 in 1996 (and most of it has happened in the last 5 years).

So you can hardly argue this isn't a growing trend that currently picking up heavy momentum. It certainly isn't looking like the pendulum is going to swing back your way anytime soon.

Also, just so you know, since you apparently didn't read your own links, that High Times article is about debunking the 5 Arguments Against Medical Marjiuana, it doesn't support your position at all. The California article from the prohibitionist group is talking about a poll from 2010 (5 years ago), and the CBS poll is from 2012. Do you have any polls from the 1930's showing that jazz music is a dangerous threat to our youth that we should include in there too?

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Your initial assertion:

Even your own sources put the numbers in the 40% range. This barely qualifies as a 'minority'. It certainly doesn't qualify as a 'small minority'.

You were wrong. It's not a 'small minority'. Just man up and admit it.

I don't even care how many people support it. This is about liberty. It's about whether we want the nanny state micromanaging our lives through police force. It's about how huge we want our government to become. You want to be micromanaged. You want huge government. Fine. Be prepared for the day when your micromanaging government sticks its nose in your gun safe.

Good luck with that. Lol

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    What do you disagree with? You disagree that 47% is not a 'small minority'?

Wouldn't it be easier to just admit that you didn't know the statistics on this and that you've been corrected?

The point was, and is, and has always been, always will continue to be that you can argue polls and surveys all day on both sides and still have (wonderful and considerate,high intelligent people) ((edited for tact)) argue that their side is the only one and any other is baseless and out of touch.

(btw, one poll said 47% the others that you ignored didn't. And 47% is not the majority you are arguing for and as I said that was just a couple of minutes search, I have no incentive to search further)

methinks I am wrestling with a pig and your enjoying it

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    That was a pretty extensive .gov study up there. Did that cost Tax dollars? MY tax dollars? They couldn't be in it for more tax dollars, could they?

So the hippie dippy propaganda is working? Or when you want to skew a poll, you just have to ask the right group of people.

The .gov is the pimp and you are the hoes. Get smacked down. A stone/addicted populous is much easier to control.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    opinions are like ...........
    dont have to "man up" because I disagree. You must realize that there are more than one side of this argument

wasting oxygen.

arguing circles vs spheres

Circles are figures, spheres are objects.... at least that's what science and math says

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It is not a straw-man. The same logic that justifies drug prohibition can easily justify gun prohibition.

Sometimes people do bad things when they use _____. We must prohibit _____ to prevent this.

Fill in the blank with guns, drugs, or all sorts of other things. The logic is the same. If we participate in prohibiting things that frighten us, it doesn't give us much room to argue when others want to prohibit things that frighten them.

So let's expand it to anything. :rolleyes:

Just because firearms should not be banned doesn't mean MJ should not be banned.

If that's the argument (which is pretty much all that poster had), then I stand by my statement.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Sorry, you keep referring to this Reefer Madness, I don't know what this is. My views come from life experiences. From the ones I have known, Potheads are much more likely to live in there parents basement until they're 30 and be really good at playstation then they would be to shank someone. But there are outliers both ways.

Top Bottom