Why are so many current models of bolt action rifles offered without sights?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    If I want a rifle with optics, I buy a rifle with optics. If I need a rifle with open sights, I buy a rifle with open sights. Both on the same rifle doesn't do it for me. The only exception I have made is mounting a fixed 4x on my daughters Marlin 94 in .44 mag. Used a QD mount. Nice little setup.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Ok. I guess we're done. I'm not following as to why you'd make a statement unrelated to mine, "co-witness is also possible" and when I question you on how you do that, you can't provide an answer. You continue to divert to the first part of your statement when I'm clearly not arguing that part.
    I don't understand why you're so angry about this. You didn't make it clear which part of my statement you were referring to. I answered the first part.

My uncle who taught me to shoot had a bolt action that was co-witnessed. I thought it was odd at the time, seeing the front sight in the center of the scope reticle, but it actually worked really well. I *think* it was a Remington, but that was 50 years ago, and I was new to guns, so I can't be sure.

As a side note, the first gun he had me shoot was a pump 12 gauge, and he was surprised it didn't knock me on my behind like it had my cousins. :cool:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I don't understand why you're so angry about this. You didn't make it clear which part of my statement you were referring to. I answered the first part.

My uncle who taught me to shoot had a bolt action that was co-witnessed. I thought it was odd at the time, seeing the front sight in the center of the scope reticle, but it actually worked really well. I *think* it was a Remington, but that was 50 years ago, and I was new to guns, so I can't be sure.

As a side note, the first gun he had me shoot was a pump 12 gauge, and he was surprised it didn't knock me on my behind like it had my cousins. :cool:
    I'm not angry at all. But if you're gonna make a statement and I don't understand how it's true then I'd expect anyone to be able to explain it to me so I could understand it. I simply couldn't, in my mind, think of how you co-witness irons with an optic on a bolt action. And FYI, just because you can see a front sight through an optic doesn't mean it co-witnessed. I can see my front sight through my ACOG but the front is not usuable because I'm seeing it through 4x magnification. Co-witnessing is having a rear iron sight BEHIND the optic and a front sight in FRONT of the optic with the reticle or dot on the same plane. In doing so you can use both aiming systems simultaneously if so desired. To my knowledge there's not a bolt action that can do that

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Use a one piece scope base, figure out what scope you want and where the rings will fit on the base. Then have a gunsmith build a sight into the base, under the scope body. Add the front sight. For iron sight use, just remove the rings from the base and pop the scope off. Several companies make quick detach rings.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    My uncle was an old school varmint hunter and several of the rifles I inherited have scopes with see through rings for their iron sights. It would be cool if they were set up and zeroed for different ranges or different ammo. I haven't shot them yet to see where they're pointing though.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My uncle was an old school varmint hunter and several of the rifles I inherited have scopes with see through rings for their iron sights. It would be cool if they were set up and zeroed for different ranges or different ammo. I haven't shot them yet to see where they're pointing though.
    I have my grand fathers Remington 760 in 300 Savage, it has a Bousch and Lomb sitting on steel flip over rings.

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Only thing I can figure is supply and demand. Ain't much demand for irons these days really. Very few shooters left who even bother with them on a bolt gun any more, so the manufacturers have collectively just decided to save money by not installing them on most models.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Buying guns from the CMP has made me really enjoy rifles with irons, especially peep sights. I've looked for new options with the same and there are not many. I believe Steyr has a scout rifle, Mossberg had one, and the Ruger scout rifle is about the modern equivalent. I wish more models were offered with a traditional walnut stock instead of the laminate that most models have. They seem a bit pricey at $1,000 +, but I guess that's what it is. The box magazines are a bit spendy, too.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My 760 in .35 rem purchased used, had see through rings on it.

Immediately upon getting the rifle home they were removed and tossed in the trash. Weaver base, Leupold rings and 4x went on top.

Proper cheekweld is a thing.

Shot this running buck in timber...

0171w9D.jpg

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My Anschutz 1415 has a scope on it. Irons are still attached. Need a hood for the front sight though.

My Ruger #1 A has irons and scope.

Some rigs look better w irons on, even if not being used.

Note my 760 has the irons still on it.
    Havent checked em LOL
    If that rifle gets bonked i dont care, just grab another rig.

Last edited:

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Back when I bought my elk rifle in 1993 I asked the owner of the gun store I was going to order it from, if Remington made the model I wanted with iron sights as I really wanted this rifle to have iron sights.
    Guy looked at me like I had in that instant of time spontaneously grew an extra head and two extra arms.
    He replied he doubted it but would look it up for me while I waited. He brought me the catalog and showed me if I wanted a stainless steel M700 in 338WM iron sights were not an option.

I love iron sights and if available would have them on every rifle I own as a backup to unexpected visits by Mr. Murphy.
    I was at a SCI convention in Lost Wages back in the mid 1990's. I met a man who I was lead to believe was a rather high ranking member of Remington's upper level Mgmt. I never did confirm this as true and SAH do not remember his name now. I did ask him why Iron sights aren't even offered as a special order to be pre-paid for by the customer option?
    He replied based on their research over 95% of the American CF rifle market who will buy a Remington CF rifle have no plans to ever shoot a rifle without a scope so iron sights on any of their CF rifles was a negative impact on their profit margin and their research showed there was nowhere near enough of a demand for special ordered rifles with iron sights to be worth offering it as a special order option.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I get wanting stuff to be "factory".
    To maintain collectable status, or just one stop shopping.
    But if I really wanted X brand and they didn't offer an iron sight option, I'd just send the rifle off to be customized.

FWIW my .300 winmag 700 still had the 2 receiver holes for adding a peep, but the stock was not relieved for it (side mount).
    Think that was a '74 model (BDL, solid panel cut checkering- non skip lined).
    Dunno when Big Green quit D&T for receiver side mount peeps.

My 90's ADL .243 had irons. I took them off and modified to fit a Knight Wolverine muzzleloader (orig MZ sights were
    plastic- hence the upgrade LOL).

Do think barrel iron sights look good on some rifles. But if I was to need irons these days I'd prefer a peep.

Top Bottom