Why are so many current models of bolt action rifles offered without sights?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    My post was:

"That's not always true, though, and co-witness is also possible."
    I know what you said. You're not answering the question. How do you get an optic low enough on a bolt action to co-witness with the irons when they aren't tall enough to be on the same plane as the reticle?
    I never said anything in my post about co-witnessing. You brought it up and said it's possible. I'd like to know cause I genuinely don't know how it'd be done

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I'm just saying, how hard would it be to offer this as a factory option? Not on every rifle, but as a custom option?

It's based on supply and demand. A company will only offer a factory option if they think they will sell enough of that option to be worth their time (R&D, tooling, marketing, etc...) If a particular feature only has a small following, companies discontinue it on new models. You might have better luck looking at older firearms. (FYI, I have the same problem with cars. Virtually no-one makes what I want anymore.)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It's market driven, but I'm sure the practice is not set in stone.
    Several years ago, no-one offered the new (at the time) .327 Federal magnum cartridge in a rifle platform.
    The .327 round is sort of a niche round to start with, so talk about a limited market...

Well, I, among more than just a few others, began calling, writing, and emailing, every lever action manufacturer because that was what we wanted.
    It took a few years, and I had all but given up, but after my hundred emails to Henry, (not that many I'm sure, but felt like it), all of a sudden they released my .327 fed mag lever gun!

I jumped on it, nabbing a serial number under 000120

My point is, if you want it bad enough, start a conversation with the sales folks at Winchester, Remington, Savage, Tikka, CZ, Kimber...

I would suggest Henry. But you said bolt...

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I know what you said. You're not answering the question. How do you get an optic low enough on a bolt action to co-witness with the irons when they aren't tall enough to be on the same plane as the reticle?
    I never said anything in my post about co-witnessing. You brought it up and said it's possible. I'd like to know cause I genuinely don't know how it'd be done
    You said "If you have irons on a bolt action then you'll need to mount the scope higher which generally is against common practice."

I said "That's not always true, though, and co-witness is also possible."

Then I gave you an example of a scope not being required to be mounted high enough to clear the sights. Maybe I didn't make it clear what my post was replying to.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    It's based on supply and demand. A company will only offer a factory option if they think they will sell enough of that option to be worth their time (R&D, tooling, marketing, etc...) If a particular feature only has a small following, companies discontinue it on new models. You might have better luck looking at older firearms. (FYI, I have the same problem with cars. Virtually no-one makes what I want anymore.)
    There's enough aftermarket sights out there that they could offer options pretty cheap if they had the craftsman to stick them on. That's part of the problem. I don't know of any gunsmith that I would trust well enough to stick them on without it turning into a fiasco.

And Oof, don't get me started on cars... If I had kept it and just parked it in my Mom's garage...

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    It's market driven, but I'm sure the practice is not set in stone.
    Several years ago, no-one offered the new (at the time) .327 Federal magnum cartridge in a rifle platform.
    The .327 round is sort of a niche round to start with, so talk about a limited market...

Well, I, among more than just a few others, began calling, writing, and emailing, every lever action manufacturer because that was what we wanted.
    It took a few years, and I had all but given up, but after my hundred emails to Henry, (not that many I'm sure, but felt like it), all of a sudden they released my .327 fed mag lever gun!

I jumped on it, nabbing a serial number under 000120

My point is, if you want it bad enough, start a conversation with the sales folks at Winchester, Remington, Savage, Tikka, CZ, Kimber...

I would suggest Henry. But you said bolt...
    Nice that it worked out for you. :cheers:

Don't count out Henry. In a hundred years, they'll start building ARs. :D

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Also economies of scale. Not making them means they can save a few bucks in milling time and parts. 15 minutes on the mill and $5 in parts doesnt sound like much. Until you multiply that by tens of thousands of rifles per year.
    So if they make 20,000 rifles a year thats 5,000 hours of mill time and $100,000 per year in parts. At the median rate that is $130k per year in labor.

So by dropping that off, they're saving $230k per year by not adding those sights that are most likely not going to be used anyway.

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    You said "If you have irons on a bolt action then you'll need to mount the scope higher which generally is against common practice."

I said "That's not always true, though, and co-witness is also possible."

Then I gave you an example of a scope not being required to be mounted high enough to clear the sights. Maybe I didn't make it clear what my post was replying to.
    Ok. I guess we're done. I'm not following as to why you'd make a statement unrelated to mine, "co-witness is also possible" and when I question you on how you do that, you can't provide an answer. You continue to divert to the first part of your statement when I'm clearly not arguing that part.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'm just saying, how hard would it be to offer this as a factory option? Not on every rifle, but as a custom option?
    It wouldn't be hard at all to make them but it would be extremely difficult to sell them once made. Cheap rifles and high end, long range rifles sell, neither of which have much demand for irons. Sights are an easy sacrifice on the way to producing the cheapest rifles possible. With the current quality and availability of optics there really isn't much demand for irons on any small bore rifles. Big bores are a different story, of course. However, the demand for big bores is itself really low.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I understand that I'm probably not in the majority on this, but I prefer that my rifles have sights on them, even though I will be using optics on them. Are there really so few of people like me who like to have the option of sights?

I'm shopping around for a new bolt-action in .308, and I really want sights on it. There are few offerings I can find that even come close, but they're not close enough.

I like to challenge myself at the range with open sights sometimes, even though my rifles have optics on them.

Would it really be so hard to offer this as a factory option?

Being a CZ fan, I found this. I don't have any of these newer models, but my older models have performed admirably:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1049870560

Scroll thru the pics - looks pretty nice.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The Steyr CL II SX Mountain can be had in .308 win, has iron sights.
    Also has the butterknife bolt (which I like the looks of).
    Unfortunately it appears to be a Euro only rifle, the US version (Prohunter 3) is round bolt knob and no sights.

I suppose somebody could get one over here.
    Then add a good QD style ring system for a nice scope.....

Proly pushing total of 5K.

And it won't kill deer more dead than way cheaper options.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I get the "I want a brand new rifle" which is why I always look for the unicorn used one. The one that was bought by the rich guy to go deer hunting camp one year. He bought it had the shop install a scope sighted it in with four or five rounds. Took it out of the trunk and into deer camp. Never shot it again gun. Sat in a gun case in the closet next to the expensive fly fishing stuff he also never used.

Been going to gun show since I was 11 or so. Now 60 and have put away several of the unicorns over the years.

I like the older shiney mint stuff. They are harder to come by now that private land is rifle legal. Pre rifle round deer you could find them in local shops pretty easy in Indiana cause the demand was not high.

Now try to find the unicorn in 257 Robert's or 35 wheelen ect. Much harder as not as many got made.

I think I can check off 222 rem 243 308 30-06 and 7 mm rem in bolt. 35 rem 308 25-20 444 Marlin and 45-79 in lever action. The 25-20 being not mint forearm as it has four screw holes in it. The rest is pure minty.

The cost is a major factor. Just remember the that new machines make good rifles and old craftsmanship makes good rifles. I think the late 1970 early 1980's you still had a good selection of both. Since 1989 factories relied on the machines more and more. No hand polish and fitting because they were all machined to a much higher standard. Much like scope mount lapping we used to do on about all scope mounts. I don't think I have had any reason to lap a scope mount in years in quality scope mounts. In the 1970's they all could have used a nice little touch up.

Good luck with the search as that is the fun part if you ask me. I think nearly all my bolts have iron sights.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If you want good old fashioned hunting rifles. Simpson Limited brought in the motherload from somewhere in Europe.. most of them having not just irons, but irons that are designed to be primary.

1718383909455.jpeg
    https://simpsonltd.com/husqvarna-1640-z65937/ $525 in 30-06
    1718383981613.jpeg
    https://simpsonltd.com/husqvarna-640-z60457/ $585 in 9.3X62MM

1718384081367.jpeg
    https://simpsonltd.com/husqvarna-640-z60463/ $525 in 8mm

1718384214394.jpeg
    https://simpsonltd.com/husqvarna-1640-z65982/ $825.00 in 6.5X55 MM with scope

Why not smoke some dead critter dinner with a classic made by a Chainsaw company.
    Some of them are indeed in 308. And you can just tell the wife, I bought a Husqvarna. To which she will think "He just bought a chainsaw, ok"

Last edited:

Knights1776

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2024
    Idaho
    I understand that I'm probably not in the majority on this, but I prefer that my rifles have sights on them, even though I will be using optics on them. Are there really so few of people like me who like to have the option of sights?

I'm shopping around for a new bolt-action in .308, and I really want sights on it. There are few offerings I can find that even come close, but they're not close enough.

I like to challenge myself at the range with open sights sometimes, even though my rifles have optics on them.

Would it really be so hard to offer this as a factory option?

I'm on the same boat. I like the idea of having backup sights if my optic is trashed. I don't have extra scopes lying around so it may be weeks before that rifle is useable again if it doesn't have iron sights.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    What I have learned in the last 20+ years from the USMC is, by and large that very good optics fail very seldom. Learning to shoot with and carrying back up irons is a thing of the past. My thing 2 went through basic in 2019, no irons on any of the service rifles at Parris Island.

Top Bottom