Why are so many current models of bolt action rifles offered without sights?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I understand that I'm probably not in the majority on this, but I prefer that my rifles have sights on them, even though I will be using optics on them. Are there really so few of people like me who like to have the option of sights?

I'm shopping around for a new bolt-action in .308, and I really want sights on it. There are few offerings I can find that even come close, but they're not close enough.

I like to challenge myself at the range with open sights sometimes, even though my rifles have optics on them.

Would it really be so hard to offer this as a factory option?

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I understand that I'm probably not in the majority on this, but I prefer that my rifles have sights on them, even though I will be using optics on them. Are there really so few of people like me who like to have the option of sights?

I'm shopping around for a new bolt-action in .308, and I really want sights on it. There are few offerings I can find that even come close, but they're not close enough.

I like to challenge myself at the range with open sights sometimes, even though my rifles have optics on them.

Would it really be so hard to offer this as a factory option?

For bolt actions, very few optic mounts are “quick disconnect” so I’m sure most manufacturers figure “why bother?” Most irons would be in the way for an optic, and modern optics are generally reliable enough to not need a backup.

If you want irons, go buy an AR upper that has them, a milsurp that has them, or get something like a Ruger Scout with them on it. I know those aren’t answers you want, but that’s where the market demands are, and a VERY small handful of people who want irons is unlikely to change that. :dunno:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Savage Hog Hunter was still offered with irons, and a threaded barrel if you care, last time I was looking. That's been quite a few years ago, though, so no idea if it's still in production.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I understand that the population who would want them is small, but it certainly isn't zero. It's at least 1 (me). :cool:

Would it really be so hard to add it as a custom factory option? "Add Express Sights.....$145" or something.

I have semis with optics, and a semi without. I have a milsurp with open sights. I can scratch that itch when I want to.

Right now, I want a bolt-action with sights as an option, and I want it new. I may have to consider older models to get that, but I'd prefer not to.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Savage Hog Hunter was still offered with irons, and a threaded barrel if you care, last time I was looking. That's been quite a few years ago, though, so no idea if it's still in production.
    It is, and it's one I'm looking at. But, I have issues with it. They're my issues, though, and I know that.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I'm just saying, how hard would it be to offer this as a factory option? Not on every rifle, but as a custom option?

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I understand that the population who would want them is small, but it certainly isn't zero. It's at least 1 (me). :cool:

Would it really be so hard to add it as a custom factory option? "Add Express Sights.....$145" or something.

I have semis with optics, and a semi without. I have a milsurp with open sights. I can scratch that itch when I want to.

Right now, I want a bolt-action with sights as an option, and I want it new. I may have to consider older models to get that, but I'd prefer not to.
    Wanted the same set up. Got lucky and found a tikka t3x arctic at a gun show. Comes with irons

Top Bottom