• ...and so much more!
  • chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I think I read where the mild winter allowed many farmers to plant their corn early in the hopes of getting it down in time to squeeze in an extra crop of something before next winter. Could that have anything to do with it?

> Not a farmer, but I do enjoy eating, so I feel I have a tenuous connection.
    Corn planted early would allow for silage to be made, and then possibly soybeans to be planted late (July), thus Double Cropping. If the rain comes. Which it hasn't. Double Cropping usually involves wheat, taken off around July 4, plant early beans, harvest in Oct. If it rains, and I mean a lot of rain steadily. Don't see that method used much anymore. Double Cropping really depletes the soil quickly.:noway:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Corn planted early would allow for silage to be made, and then possibly soybeans to be planted late (July), thus Double Cropping. If the rain comes. Which it hasn't. Double Cropping usually involves wheat, taken off around July 4, plant early beans, harvest in Oct. If it rains, and I mean a lot of rain steadily. Don't see that method used much anymore. Double Cropping really depletes the soil quickly.:noway:
    Still fairly common where I grew up (NE IN). I know several fields that are double cropped right now. Beans don't deplete the soil nearly as much as wheat & corn do so double cropping beans back in isn't too bad.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    :rolleyes: Actually, know double cropping doesn't really deplete the soil any quicker... :popcorn:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It was my understanding that beans were nitrogen fixers that helped deposit it for the other crops when you rotate them through the years? I expected they wouldn't deplete the soil too badly but not really sure (doesn't stop me from posting on INGO though!)

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    A bad crop is not a win-win for anyone involved.

This ^ The corn being cut was most likely supposed to be seed corn as said. I know dad said Pioneer was cutting down a lot along IN 37 so that's probably what you are seeing. Dad is really worried about our crops this year. Some corn has started trying to pollinate already, luckily some hasn't quite yet. If we don't get rain soon, we are likely going to have a repeat of the harvest of '88 or maybe worse.

This will not be a good year for any of us. The insurance payments will basically just help cover expenses. Some may still end up LOSING money. Hopefully we get more rain soon and that doesn't happen.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've been seeing people saying the same thing ... BUT how can this be the worst drought etc since the dustbowl years, and we are still supposed to have the 3rd largest harvest EVER?

News Headlines
    Maybe I missed it but I don't see where it said 3rd largest harvest. :dunno:

I'm also skeptical of the projected average of 146 bu/ac. If the rest of the corn belt is as bad as they say it is, and it's anything like Indiana, I don't see any possible way the average will be that high unless the rest of the corn belt that isn't effected by the drought has 250+ yields. :dunno:

Bad situation all around, that's all I have to say. Expect food prices to go up that's for sure (I heard estimates of 5-15% increase in food prices due solely to the drought).

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side

I'm also skeptical of the projected average of 146 bu/ac. If the rest of the corn belt is as bad as they say it is, and it's anything like Indiana, I don't see any possible way the average will be that high unless the rest of the corn belt that isn't effected by the drought has 250+ yields. :dunno:

Bad situation all around, that's all I have to say. Expect food prices to go up that's for sure (I heard estimates of 5-15% increase in food prices due solely to the drought).

A mild and early planting season raised hopes of a record corn crop. But the drought changed prospects dramatically. USDA projected a harvest of 12.97 billion bushels, 12 percent less than a month ago, but still the third largest on record.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

The way we are figuring Corn Yields will be off by a 100 bu/ac as a minimum...

I feel sorry for those guys who started a bidding war for cash rent, or have to have the newest piece of machinery around....
    No I don't...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The way we are figuring Corn Yields will be off by a 100 bu/ac as a minimum...

I feel sorry for those guys who started a bidding war for cash rent, or have to have the newest piece of machinery around....
    No I don't...
    Yup, same for the guy that buys a new combine every year because the JD dealership will let him roll his loan into the new one. Note: these are usually the same people that are paying $400/ac cash rent. I don't see how they can do it, they have to be hemoraging money. We have 1 particular farmer in our area that spends over a million every year on equipment upgrades and they (him & his brother) only farm about 5k acres. :dunno: The only thing I can figure is that they come from money and they all have good jobs that pay for their farming hobby?? They certainly can't be going forwards financially. They just spent over $1M on a computerized grain handling system that they can control with their cell-phone. :n00b:

Mean-while dad is bustin' butt just to get his debt paid off. In the last few years he has made good headway on that. Some people just prefer to bury their heads in the sand and keep up the status quo.

Myles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    I sure hope we get some rain soon so that the beans have a shot. My place of employment depends on those beans.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yup, same for the guy that buys a new combine every year because the JD dealership will let him roll his loan into the new one. Note: these are usually the same people that are paying $400/ac cash rent. I don't see how they can do it, they have to be hemoraging money. We have 1 particular farmer in our area that spends over a million every year on equipment upgrades and they (him & his brother) only farm about 5k acres. :dunno: The only thing I can figure is that they come from money and they all have good jobs that pay for their farming hobby?? They certainly can't be going forwards financially. They just spent over $1M on a computerized grain handling system that they can control with their cell-phone. :n00b:

Mean-while dad is bustin' butt just to get his debt paid off. In the last few years he has made good headway on that. Some people just prefer to bury their heads in the sand and keep up the status quo.

You can find out how much subsidy money they're getting here.

Indiana Farm Subsidy Search || EWG Farm Subsidy Database

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Cant wait for gas prices to go up because of that damn ethanol, not too mention food (i was buying NY strip for 6 bucks a lb. last year at this time, it's now close to 10 bucks.) and everything else

Top Bottom