• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but it might be because of this.

j0437381.jpg

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    OK, so what about the

MMM FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF MMM

that I am seeing? Literally about 98% of the area is down

I can vouch for this. West side of road somewhere around Smith Valley or Stones Crossing? At any rate, north of 144 and south of Southport. Just drove by there today.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I can vouch for this. West side of road somewhere around Smith Valley or Stones Crossing? At any rate, north of 144 and south of Southport. Just drove by there today.

Yep, both sides of the road up and down 37 north of 144. There are some fields still completely standing though, maybe different owners or different corn?!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Corn Pollination - An Overview, AGF-128-95

there is no such thing as male or female corn..
    corn has both parts.. If you detassled one row and not another, the one you left tasseled was the strain they wanted to mix with the others..
    What they're actually doing up here is planting the "female", then spiking in delayed "male" rows a couple weeks later. When tassels come they cut them off of the "female" rows and let the "male" rows pollinate the "female" rows. They do it this way to create new hybrids. Then what they harvest becomes the seeds the farmer buys for feed corn the following year.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    On a related note ...

Will there be any significant quantity of sweet corn this summer? If I'd known this was going to happen, I'd have been in the small fields and big gardens with fire hose trying to help!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    On a related note ...

Will there be any significant quantity of sweet corn this summer? If I'd known this was going to happen, I'd have been in the small fields and big gardens with fire hose trying to help!

yes, at a high price..
    lots of small fields are grown for sweet corn.. fields small enough to water...

plus low land areas are still growing good.. :)

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Pretty sure it is for insurance. The rows left standing are likely for the Insurance agent to inspect, now and later when nothing forms. I can't wait to see food prices this fall Winter and into next year. It seems Like most of the food producing areas are either Flooded, in drought, or Burning Yeah!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Seems like a tremendous waste to leave a fifth of your crop just so an insurance adjuster can see it.

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    they arent taking it in, they are mowing it down, salvaging what they can in silage for feed to make up for the shortage of corn coming this fall. The corn crop in many areas is a wash. Yeah, theres corn plants, but theyre wont be any ears to them

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    Pretty sure it is for insurance. The rows left standing are likely for the Insurance agent to inspect, now and later when nothing forms. I can't wait to see food prices this fall Winter and into next year. It seems Like most of the food producing areas are either Flooded, in drought, or Burning Yeah!

This is exactly what's goin on. The insurance company makes them cut it down so they can't sell it and double dip.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    they arent taking it in, they are mowing it down, salvaging what they can in silage for feed to make up for the shortage of corn coming this fall. The corn crop in many areas is a wash. Yeah, theres corn plants, but theyre wont be any ears to them

I would assume that whatever they get for selling it would be taken out of the judgement from the insurance. This would be like having to purchase the shell of your car back, after you received the check for it being "totaled". You can't have both.

Top Bottom