• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I'd be happy to sell you a 6' medium action St Croix Premier spinning rod AND the broken 5W fly rod when back from warranty service. Both at noticeable discounts. Let me know...
    You know, maybe if you didn't catch so many fish these rods would not be breaking so often. Something to think about :) the warranty deal is not that great on the $100 rods. I like them but I like them even better at 50-60% off retail.

Of course there is a very good chance those Cabelas rods are St. Croix.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    ...Something to think about :) the warranty deal is not that great on the $100 rods. I like them but I like them even better at 50-60% off retail.

Of course there is a very good chance those Cabelas rods are St. Croix.

The two rods I sent in for warranty cost me $0 and $25.

For the Orvis rod I broke, I was supposed to pay $30. I took it into the local Orvis shop, they sent it in for me, and gave me a loaner rod until mine was fixed. When I went to pick up my repaired rod, they would not accept my payment. I pressed the issue, and they still declined. That's some good CS. This is also the same store that lent me a $1,300 outfit to take to FL.

The other rod in question, a TFO, met my truck door and completely shattered. I sent it in with a $25 check. From what I've read, they get the rod back to you in about a week. After 6 days, and not receiving notice they received the rod, I emailed customer support. I needed my rod back to go to FL, and they were VERY helpful. The USPS had fubared the packaging, and they couldn't find it. After a couple of hours of them looking, they found it. They two-day shipped a brand new in packaging rod to make sure I had it in time for my trip.

These are the two occasions that I've had to use a rod's warranty, and I couldn't be happier. I may have gotten lucky, but I would not hesitate to buy from Orvis or TFO again, just based on their customer service.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You know, maybe if you didn't catch so many fish these rods would not be breaking so often. Something to think about :) the warranty deal is not that great on the $100 rods...

Apparently so. "Lifetime Warranty" is a marketing tool with glossed over fine print.
    I just purchased a new tip section from StCroix for $30 bucks. It is a wash on the warranty issue price wise and they seem to know it. Those rods are $120 plus tax now, so that's only a 25% increase over the retail value. :dunno:

I'm hoping to sell off my StCroix rods to Sigfan07 (or whomever might be interested,) as he seems to like them. I'm thinking $75 bucks a piece or $140 for both?

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Apparently so. "Lifetime Warranty" is a marketing tool with glossed over fine print.
    I just purchased a new tip section from StCroix for $30 bucks. It is a wash on the warranty issue price wise and they seem to know it. Those rods are $120 plus tax now, so that's only a 25% increase over the retail value. :dunno:

I'm hoping to sell off my StCroix rods to Sigfan07 (or whomever might be interested,) as he seems to like them. I'm thinking $75 bucks a piece or $140 for both?

Thanks for the offer but I'm not ready to purchase. Too many accessories I want for my kayak before I upgrade my rods. Next rod I get will probably be a St. Croix Mojo bass spinning rod MH. Those things look nice.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'd be happy to sell you a 6' medium action St Croix Premier spinning rod AND the broken 5W fly rod when back from warranty service. Both at noticeable discounts. Let me know...

I might be interested in that as Ive always had good luck with st.criox and I abused mine. My travel one sat on my bike for days and has been fished hard as its a L 6ft and its fought 30lb cats and carp. Now their warranty isnt that bad when compared to gloomis from what ive heard its limited to the production run and a $100 service fee. This scared me off them as I was looking at the NRX but went with a Sage one instead as I wanted a fast action rod.

The two rods I sent in for warranty cost me $0 and $25.

For the Orvis rod I broke, I was supposed to pay $30. I took it into the local Orvis shop, they sent it in for me, and gave me a loaner rod until mine was fixed. When I went to pick up my repaired rod, they would not accept my payment. I pressed the issue, and they still declined. That's some good CS. This is also the same store that lent me a $1,300 outfit to take to FL.

The other rod in question, a TFO, met my truck door and completely shattered. I sent it in with a $25 check. From what I've read, they get the rod back to you in about a week. After 6 days, and not receiving notice they received the rod, I emailed customer support. I needed my rod back to go to FL, and they were VERY helpful. The USPS had fubared the packaging, and they couldn't find it. After a couple of hours of them looking, they found it. They two-day shipped a brand new in packaging rod to make sure I had it in time for my trip.

These are the two occasions that I've had to use a rod's warranty, and I couldn't be happier. I may have gotten lucky, but I would not hesitate to buy from Orvis or TFO again, just based on their customer service.

I had issues with my Helios and mirage combo and they took it back with no issue. I couldnt get it to cast beyond 80ft no matter the situation and after some research it turned out to that I wasnt the only one with that issue and the reel had a super gritty drag after only 2 dunks. Now I have been thinking about getting a 3-4wt 7'6 Helios as a small stream rod as that thing is like a tack driver at short distances compared to my one, but at longer distances it falls apart.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I might be interested in that as Ive always had good luck with st.criox and I abused mine...

Let me know.
    You could be fishing the spinning rod tomorrow. The fly rod will have to wait on StCroix's shipping, but the tip half section will be unused.
    These rods have been fished but well taken care of. If you are serious about buying, I'll do a close inspection and get you pics of any wear and tear.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    What's the secret of catching large sized bass? Say 3 lb and up? Is it location as in fishing ponds/lakes that contain lots of large bass? I wish I was catching more large bass than small ones. And I guess I know the answer - I will have to go Lake Waveland.

Anyway, I tried using a soft swimbait for the first time yesterday evening and I had success. Three bass. Small ones but still my first bass I caught using a soft swimbait.

First Soft Swimbait Bass - YouTube

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    There are two kinds of big bass, the ones in the water you are fishing and the monsters everywhere else. Being realistic the fastest way to catching lots of any species, large fish of any species and any time of year is to fish with people who know the fish you are after. Next comes people who know the body of water you are on. 40 years ago I learned a lot from a guy who only targeted panfish. At the time my focus was on Pike, but JR knew fish and he knew that lake. I lived in North Dakota and he lived in Indy and I went out of my way to be on that lake in MN whenever he was there. I even got a job at the resort he stayed at.

.the other thing is "trigger time"..........having a hook in the water and paying attention. If you don't find others to fish with then more time on the water is key. Stick to the same water and learn what is under it and the terrain around it. You should memorize topo maps of the lakes you fish but also carry them with you. Master a few techniques and lures. A jig, spinner bait and crank will allow you to work a variety of water and learn the structures in it. Same goes for fishing worms or any plastics.

a big part of fishing is being able to look at a lake map, take in to account day of the year, time of day, weather, type of water you are fishing and be able to eliminate about 90% of the water before your first cast. I personally think no one has mastered teaching fishing like Al & Ron Lindner. Two guys I also met 40 years ago and still follow to this day. Pick your mentors and stick to them.

.Here is an example of a pattern that works in summer for bass. If the wind has been blowing for more than one day in the same direction, say from the NW, I would be on SE shorelines exposed to that wind. I would look for points and inside turns on the shoreline. Any pockets and weed lines. Reason is wind will stack up baitfish downwind on those spots. Predators will respond to that. If you happen to find the schools of baitfish, that's even better.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Had to take this one myself, and could barely see the screen.

This was a nice fish. Caught several today. Black spinner bait on one rod, second rod outfitted with a couple of different Rat-L-Trap type lures as unfortunately I lost a couple of lures today.

Fishing parallel to the weed beds, and edges. Fish were fighting hard today. The initial bite was not slamming the bait, but the fish were running hard after hooking up.

June2014Fish.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Archerguy1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Alexandria Indiana
    1353253761127.jpg

I do love to fish , but when you work on boats for a living I am afraid to go near the water as someone might recognize me and want their boat worked looked at on my only day off

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Had a good haul saturday morning in Traverse City, MI. 15 Lake Trout (+4 we threw back) and a whitefish. Also there was another monster laker my step brother lost at the boat.

lakers 1.jpg

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    went yesterday and dad was the only one to catch a fish. Went today and caught 3 decent sized carp on bread I went ahead and threw them back but felt like an ********* doing it since they are invasive but i didn't feel like taking them home. I remember when i was little the only places i ever saw carp were salamonie reservoir at pirates cove and then indiana beach now i see them at all my fishing spots kinda depressing.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    common carp. normally i kill them but I have been getting a lot of pressure buy friends and folks on the forums i frequent to release them so i decided to try it. I enjoy the fight they put up but I feel worse letting them go than i do killing them. Now if they were asian carp it would be all out war.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I finally figured out what's been causing my sore right shoulder I've been getting after I go kayak fishing. At first I blamed my 78 pound sit on top kayak when I load it and unload it from the truck bed. Then I got to thinking - why doesn't my back hurt too? And, when I use my left arm/hand to grab hold of the handle and do most of the lifting, why doesn't my left shoulder get as sore as my right shoulder? Really, since I started kayak fishing I've not had one back ache and only once has my left shoulder been sore and that was from kayaking at Raccoon Lake on a Friday evening when boaters were out causing some waves. Besides that, only my right shoulder. Then I realized - I do all my casting with my right arm. And, I have the bad habit of making extra long casts, like I'm trying to hit a home run. So from now on I'm going to try to focus on making good short/medium casts and stop making wasteful long casts that catch me no fish at all.

I do love being out on a kayak. It is so fun paddling around. I'm still deciding on what second kayak I want. Maybe an Old Town Vapor sit inside that comes with two rod holders and weighs 42 pounds. The seat doesn't look that great but I've seen people on youtube put stadium seats or memory foam on the seats and they say it works very good. And I think the Vapor only cost around $350.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If your shoulder hurts you are doing it wrong. Yes, if you fish enough some things will hurt but you should not be any where near doing that much casting yet.

Let your rod do the work. To do that you need to relearn how to cast properly. It all comes from the elbow to wrist, mostly elbow. Your elbow should hurt. Fish enough and you will have the equivalent of tennis elbow at times. This is where having a properly set up/balanced rig is crucial. I bought my GF her own custom rod last month. Tried a few reels on it and finally settled on one. Even with old line and half or more of it gone from the reel it was one of the best balanced rigs I have ever owned in 40 years. I put fresh line on it and filled it up and left it alone. She wont be getting a new reel for that rod.

When the rod, reel, line and lure weight are set up right, it will cast about as far as is humanly possible. The only difference is the larger the rod and lure, the more muscle it takes to whip that rod to make it work properly. Now, you see why some rods have longer grip handles, you start going to two handed casts. If you want real distance or at least the ability to get it when needed, the last thing you want is a pistol grip. For shorter, more accurate, under brush casting, PG's are great.

Read up on how to cast and make the rod do the work. Once you better under stand that, you will stat to better understand all the rod actions you have to choose form.

Top Bottom