• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Well damnit! Now I feel like an idiot. All is saw was "have" and "sell" and I jumpped ship!

I seriously wish I stayed now. 12-13hrs in a seat is a bit much however.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I was there for the duration but didn't get on line. I wish I would have thought about it but I was busy trying to not get hit with boxes of loose ammo flying around and hospital gurneys wheeling by at breakneck speed! I did see one guy with an INGO shirt on but never got a chance to say hello. I recorded most of the selling prices for future reference though.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I was there for the duration but didn't get on line. I wish I would have thought about it but I was busy trying to not get hit with boxes of loose ammo flying around and hospital gurneys wheeling by at breakneck speed! I did see one guy with an INGO shirt on but never got a chance to say hello. I recorded most of the selling prices for future reference though.

I was waiting for someone to drop one of those immaculate pearl handled knives.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So were there any deals? Or did everything get bidded up higher than market?

My goal at auctions, especially estate sales, is to get the item at least 20% lower than market. Better yet to get it for half of what I would pay at street price.

The secret to bidding at auctions is knowing what the item goes for in the stores. Then set your limit to about half.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I was waiting for someone to drop one of those immaculate pearl handled knives.

I was waiting for one of those Randalls to get stuck in my leg or have ammo rain down on me from the cellophane wrapped boxes of loose ammo they were flailing around. Surprised nothing to bad happened.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another question: why didn't the family keep this collection? And who are the heirs?

I really dislike it when the kids sell off dad's collection. It is like a man's life has no value except for the money that the kids quickly spend.

It is really sad how fast your life is scattered about into other people's hands. I guess I will only have to outlive most of you as your kids will sell everything for 10 cents on the dollar.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    So were there any deals? Or did everything get bidded up higher than market?

My goal at auctions, especially estate sales, is to get the item at least 20% lower than market. Better yet to get it for half of what I would pay at street price.

The secret to bidding at auctions is knowing what the item goes for in the stores. Then set your limit to about half.

On some of the semi auto (non collector) pistols, most def! But anything rare sold for more than its weight in gold.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Another question: why didn't the family keep this collection? And who are the heirs?

I really dislike it when the kids sell off dad's collection. It is like a man's life has no value except for the money that the kids quickly spend.

It is really sad how fast your life is scattered about into other people's hands. I guess I will only have to outlive most of you as your kids will sell everything for 10 cents on the dollar.

The kids wishes are relevant here, not their dead parents. It isn't uncommon for kids to sell off assets that they inherit. Businesses, houses, etc. are frequently sold after inheritance. At least this way, the guns will go to those who want them.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013

From what I know, the wife originally planned on selling. I personally know some people that have scored thousands of rds of ammo off her for a very low price after her jail release and before her death. I was also under the impression that they didn't have children.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know of a farmer who lived near Purdue. He was over 90. Had a number of rare cars (one of which there was only one in existence).

Many people had offered to buy things off him. He died of a heart attack. He had no children, some of sister's kids sold everything at auction.

It does grieve me that people treat things with so little care.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Most of the CMP ammo cans that sold for over $200 were the 30 cal cans that only hold 192rounds on clips. I about died when the first ones went for over $200 and the guy bought all the cans they had on the cart at that price each.
    When they started selling five or ten cans together the prices didn't get much better.

I got a decent deal on some Malaysian 7.62 except two of the cans were full of junk and not 7.62 ammo. I wasn't too thrilled about that when I went to pick them up. There were 6 cans of 7.62 , two were Greek 30.06 , one had 30.06 reloads with cast bullets and the other loose 7MM. I guess I learned a cheaper lesson than the people who bought the ammo in flats probably did lol.

Last edited:

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From what I have heard, they are auctioning off his farm equipment this Saturday. Then the land has to be sold.

From reports Roberts was worth at least 10 million dollars, if not more.

In the end, what will be left of him? In three years he will be forgotten. He might as well not have ever been born!

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I really wanted one of those Sig P210s. It seemed like one or two guys bought most of them. I wasn't sure what they normally sell for and I don't know a lot about them so I didn't bid.

I think some of the best deals there were the early magazine lots. I know somebody got at least 1 valmet mag with a bunch of AK's.
    I hope guys didn't spend too much on the beta mags. I got some of the plastic bullets that are in the base of those in a box of stuff I bought. I'm guessing they force them out when they were unloading them.

Top Bottom