• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Is someone feeling not as specialer as his Mom always told him he was?

June 14, 1957 graduated high school. I was the most intelligent, most good looking 18 year old on this "God's green earth." So my mother had told me all my formative years. June 17, 1957 was awakened by reality.
    I had joined the U.S. Navy... Found out that every mother's son was the most intelligent, most good looking individual on " God's green earth." or so we had been told all our infantile lives...It's a ***** to find out that Mothers are BIASED. And the Military doesn't give a RAT'S A$$.
    As far as testing for which branch of service at that time I have no recollect. I just knew that the Navy mostly offered three square meals and a dry bunk every night so I volunteered, rather than be drafted. Yes we had the draft as we should have today. "Nuf Sed"

Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I was homeschooled and as of now still get credited for being "too smart" for my age. Hell I'm only 26. Just scored 88 on my ASVAB and my recruiter told me I scored highest of those he has recruited with a GED AND of those he has recruited in the past 12 months. Sigh, we need more homeschooling and traditions in place-

Public school educated here. 85 on the ASVAB in '06. Kid in my platoon in boot was also a public schooler and got a 98 on the ASVAB.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Public schools should be called indoctrination schools. My kids went to public schools, the drivel that is taught to them on top of normal school work is crap. At least here it is. YMMV

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Public schools should be called indoctrination schools. My kids went to public schools, the drivel that is taught to them on top of normal school work is crap. At least here it is. YMMV
    I'd settle for government schools. I am not so dishonest that I can't acknowledge that not all of the government schools have fallen prey to the leftist agenda or that the teacher's union(s) have become unduly influential. BUT. They are wholly a product of, by, and for the government. Children in government schools learn what the government wants them to learn, when the government wants them to learn it, and how they government wants them to learn it. The government even requires a minimum number of days of instruction and tells you when your children have to start that formal instruction. No Exceptions. "Public" schools is a misnomer.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    I'd settle for government schools. I am not so dishonest that I can't acknowledge that not all of the government schools have fallen prey to the leftist agenda or that the teacher's union(s) have become unduly influential. BUT. They are wholly a product of, by, and for the government. Children in government schools learn what the government wants them to learn, when the government wants them to learn it, and how they government wants them to learn it. The government even requires a minimum number of days of instruction and tells you when your children have to start that formal instruction. No Exceptions. "Public" schools is a misnomer.

Said she, without proof or any academic studies. Or do you have a Youtube video with some guy that has an American flag behind him, a can of Budweiser, and an AR-15 coddled in his arms like a small child, with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth and a some tin foil in the corner?

You just can't seem to show any proof of any of your claims, despite my calling you out for it. You just ignore me, because you DON'T have it, because you're spewing lies. Plain and simple. It's a free country, I guess, but people like you certainly don't make Americans look good.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I was homeschooled and as of now still get credited for being "too smart" for my age. Hell I'm only 26. Just scored 88 on my ASVAB and my recruiter told me I scored highest of those he has recruited with a GED AND of those he has recruited in the past 12 months. Sigh, we need more homeschooling and traditions in place-

Good going.

I got 95 on my ASVAB in 1974. Should have joined the USAF but went chasing women instead....ugh.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Said she, without proof or any academic studies. Or do you have a Youtube video with some guy that has an American flag behind him, a can of Budweiser, and an AR-15 coddled in his arms like a small child, with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth and a some tin foil in the corner?

You just can't seem to show any proof of any of your claims, despite my calling you out for it. You just ignore me, because you DON'T have it, because you're spewing lies. Plain and simple. It's a free country, I guess, but people like you certainly don't make Americans look good.

Reading your posts is like watching a mental train wreck in slow motion. I know it's going to be ugly, I know it's going to reveal some of the most lame thought processes ever, I know it's going to make little or no sense....but like a train wreck, I just can't look away.

Home School....it may be our only hope for the future.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

How well are you at making your fellow American look good?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

You're assuming that they're learning anything at all.

There are plenty of excellent public schools. They are very well funded by hefty property taxes in wealthy areas. Still, many folks rightly conclude that the property taxes are cheaper than private school tuition-- and, being wealthy and such, they can still have a reasonable amount of influence over the school.

But as a whole, public schools are failing. The US is no longer a top nation in educational achievement, and we continue to move down the list. For a huge portion of the country (I call them Democrats), this is actually an OK thing. To them, it's far more important that they kids "learn" how evil corporations are screwing the little guy, how being gay is just another equally valid option, how terrible the US is after slavery and Japanese internment and taking the Indian's land, and how people in general are evil because they are slowly killing their mother Gaia. More important than knowing, say, the decade in which WW1 occurred would be the answer the only question important to our egocentric education system: "how do you feel about that?"

We tell want our kids to have good self esteem, but withhold from them the character development that earns it. Instead of mature adults, we're raising indulgent brats. How do I know this? Just look around at how many grandparents are raising their grandkids because their own kids are immature children that popped out a couple kids.

Kids are not taught to question what they are taught-- unless it's traditional values, or overtly Christian, or something jingoistic. We have universities that preach diversity, but have precious little of it-- they are overwhelmingly the progressive/leftist bent.

Worst of all, we have created a pop culture where what's happening in Congress is not nearly as interesting as MTV or Duck Dynasty or Facebook. Our kids have the attention span of Doug wearing the cone of shame.

cone-of-shame-dog-funny-pictures-lol.gif

Whats the rational response to such a toxic and dysfunctional environment? Remove your kids from it. Refuse to participate. Ditch the popular culture for some real culture: music, poetry, literature, history.

h

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013

Streak, if anyone's ignoring you, it's because they probably want to say things that might bring the ban hammer, or they find your arrogant self imposed "intelligence" to be not worth commenting on.

It's a free country, you guess???!!!??? YOU GUESS!!??
    No guesses, we need sources. Legit ones too.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Proof of what? That government schools are failing? Well, let's look at it. Government schools get to pick their own standard, and they claim to provide an education to every boy and girl that passes through their doors. They claim the goal is to graduate every student with a, ahem, minimum standard, of education sufficient to prepare them for the work force or college. Right off the bat, they fail in the graduation rates. It isn't 100% Only one state in the nation can keep 9 out of 10 of their students in school and qualifying for a diploma. A handful have graduation rates in the 80% range, but 39 states (38 plus DC) are below 80%. Of those 18 are below 70%. I don't know what kind of minimum standard you are suggesting, but that would cut it in my house.

But, even I will admit that graduation rates are a bit unfair given that they assume the student has no say in the process. So let's look at the students themselves.
    Shocker: 80% of NYC graduates unable to read ? RT USA

Only 7% of Detroit Public-School 8th Graders Proficient in Reading | CNS News

American High School Students Are Reading Books At 5th-Grade-Appropriate Levels: Report

High School Students Not Prepared for College, Career - High School Notes (usnews.com)
    Since readiness for college is a big talking point, I thought it would be interesting to highlight a quote from this article:
    But most of those students are not prepped for success in college or the workforce,according to a report released today by ACT, Inc.
    And another one:
    More than a quarter of 2012 graduates fell short of college readiness benchmarks that ACT sets for all four subjects, and 60 percent of students tested missed the mark in at least two of the four subjects, the report states.

I'm sure we could find similar results for math, given that math achievement is usually lower than reading/language achievement.

I'm having a really hard time understanding your concern for a minimum standard when even your pet government schools can't even reach it.

Top Bottom